Prepare for Mortal Kombat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Prepare for Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat will return next year with a brutal, bloody new game that will "reinvent classic 2-D fighting."

It's not related to the super-awesome NetherRealm Studios [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away], led by original Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon, will be released in 2011. Mortal Kombat will "mark a triumphant return to the series' mature presentation and a reinvention of its classic 2D fighting mechanic," with gory fatalities, tag-team fighting, several new game modes and an "extensive online experience."

"We can't wait for players to get their hands on Mortal Kombat," said Boon, the creative director at NetherRealm. "This game really is a response to what players have been demanding: mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!"

Mortal Kombat, which is conspicuously free of any numbers and thus has the faint whiff of a reboot to it, is currently in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Details are scant at this point but to stay up to speed, keep your eyes on the new site at themortalkombat.com [http://www.themortalkombat.com/].

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Re-invent, huh? Ill believe it when I see it! But, Ill keep an eye open on it

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
This is going to fail. Sorry MK was one of the worst 2D fighters made. The only thing the got it any bit of attention was the gore. At least try to do something new with the franchise.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh... the trailer is out and it looks like the same old stilted MK that we've seen for years, just not in 3D (though it still uses the 3D graphics). Once again, the only thing MK has going for it is the Fatalities and a decent character design or two. For a series that had so much promise back in the beginning it's sad that it's never really evolved.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I'm not into fighting games so I'm still hoping that the trailer released a few days ago will be made into a movie.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I hope "Mortal Kombat" is the name of the project and not the actual title. This whole re-booting thing is starting to wear kinda thin now...This is the what, 10th MK entry?

Mortal Kombat
MK2
MK3
Ultimate MK3
MK4
MK4 GOLD
MK Sub-Zero
MK Unchained
MK Armageddon
MK Deception
MK ... uh ... the beat-em-up staring Liu Kang and blade-hat-guy
MK vs DC Universe

ok, so it's the 14th [probably not, I'm sure I missed some] Why not admit to it? I'm sure not many people today will mix it up with the NES or, Gameboy ones but it still kinda messes up the filing system.

Fortunefaded

Aug 12, 2004
2d eh? They have to be better than the Guilty Gear series then! Take a lesson from a such a fun and brilliant 2d game!

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Wait, I thought they said they weren't making anymore Mortal Kombat games after Armageddon.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Netherrealm. Ha. Saw what they did there. Still, this is awesome. If they truly want to reinvent the mechanics, again, for the third time, they haven't disappointed me this far. Deception was cool, MK2 was awesome and I cannot wait to get over that MK VS DC cold shower. AND a new movie probably being concocted as we speak? I...I....

Yeah, I am a fanboy, how did you guess?

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
I am vaguely hopeful, but all my red warning flags have gone up at the hype inducing statement "mark a triumphant return to the series' mature presentation and a reinvention of its classic 2D fighting mechanic", I believe we're going to wind up with something that looks like this...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Mortal Kombat was cool because it had the rotoscoped animation and the blood, but other than that it was nothing unique. In fact I think it introduced the hideous "push button to block" mechanic that has been plaguing fighting games ever since.

But now looking back it is campy how cartoonish and over the top the violence is. I'm not sure the MK aesthetic translates well to the 21st century.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
MK ... uh ... the beat-em-up staring Liu Kang and blade-hat-guy
Kung Lao, I think his name is. And the game was MK: Shaolin Monks IIRC

Julianking93 said:
Wait, I thought they said they weren't making anymore Mortal Kombat games after Armageddon.
Well yes, they did. And then came MK vs DC Universe, which kinda buttfucked that plan.

Speaking of, I must be one of the only people who actually liked that game. It was less about ridiculously long combos, stance switches, weaponry and all the other MK crap that's been added in over the years, and refined the combos down to much simpler forms. Each character had four moves that consisted of something like 'left-right-B', which were simple enough for me to remember without writing them down. The story was a bag of twat, obviously, and the buttonbash events for moving through walls or between platforms sucked, but I still had fun with the game.

Up until the last boss, anyway. He was almost invincible, and beating him took a hell of a lot of re-tries.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Right, but I didn't consider that really an MK game since it doesn't really have much to do with it other than character placement and also that it's rated fucking T!!! What the hell is that bullshit?? A MK game should have kickass fatalities and be rated T! That's why I never played it.

Last one I played was that Shaolin Monks one and that was...okay I guess. Not horrible. Kept me entertained for a bit. Didn't play Armageddon either.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
MK was one of the games that marked my childhood, MK2 and MK3 were the best, if they could recapture what made them great, that would be ... great! My nostalgia would surely work... But i hate these re-inventions and reboots that don't have subtitles or any other marking like a number, just because it's a fresh start, doesn't mean you're starting a new franchise with no link to preceding titles.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Julianking93 said:
SonicWaffle said:
Right, but I didn't consider that really an MK game since it doesn't really have much to do with it other than character placement and also that it's rated fucking T!!! What the hell is that bullshit?? A MK game should have kickass fatalities and be rated T! That's why I never played it.

Last one I played was that Shaolin Monks one and that was...okay I guess. Not horrible. Kept me entertained for a bit. Didn't play Armageddon either.
I didn't give a crap about the lack of decent fatalities, as I could never pull them off anyway. I've always sucked at fighting games, other than the hectic madness of Super Smash Bros.

Armageddon was...meh. Story was pretty stupid, and the sheer amount of characters meant that unless you had nothing else going on in your life, you'd never see all the endings. Even when you did unlock an ending, it was just a voiceover about what your character did afterwards.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Calling this as being a bit of a flop... People are more interested in 2.5d, like SFIV...

But I suppose it could be a surprise...

Mr_spamamam

Mar 4, 2009
It sounds entertaining. Still play Mortal Kombat as its one of tyhe two games I hasven't lost for my Nintendo SP. The other is Advance Wars 2, just in case you care