Netflix is Coming to Canada

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Netflix is Coming to Canada

Netflix [http://www.netflix.com], the streaming and mail-order video rental service, is finally coming to Canada - minus the mail-order part.

A big frustration for a great many Canadians is living as close as we do to the U.S. and yet not being able to indulge in many of the cool online services our American cousins take for granted. But now we can strike at least one of those annoyances off the list: The video-on-demand service Netflix, or at least part of it, is finally coming to Canada.

Launching later this year, the Canadian service will mark Netflix's first foray outside U.S. borders. The new (to us) service will bring a "broad array of movies and TV episodes" to audiences across Canada through "a range of consumer electronics capable of streaming from Netflix," which I assume means game consoles, and of course PCs and Macs.

There will be a couple of restrictions, however. The Canadian Netflix service will only be available in English at launch, although the company has plans to introduce support for French "over time," and more importantly the mail order option that U.S. customers enjoy won't be available here: Netflix in Canada will be offered exclusively as a streaming video service.

The inability to order up a disc and watch it whenever is definitely a downside but for those with a taste for convenience and a connection that can support it, the Netflix expansion into Canada is good news indeed. To sign up for notification when the service goes live, drop off your email address at netflix.ca [http://www.netflix.ca].

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Perhaps there is a god afterall.

-m
No, just the opportunity for those who are considering moving to Canada to have one less reason not to.

Minus one "con" from my "Moving to Vancover in the event Sarah Palin becomes president" Pro/Con list.

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
"A big frustration for a great many Canadians is living as close as we do to the U.S. and yet not being able to indulge in many of the cool online services our American cousins take for granted"

We are less like your cousin and more like your angry neighbor =D

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Matt_LRR said:

-m
No, just the opportunity for those who are considering moving to Canada to have one less reason not to.

Minus one "con" from my "Moving to Vancover in the event Sarah Palin becomes president" Pro/Con list.
I promise she wont =D I say that as a conservative.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Well, that's good for you Canadians, I suppose.
I don't care too much, because like real people ,[sub][sub][sub]SARCASM[/sub][/sub][/sub] I'm an American.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, thats good for canadian audience...I dont think it would do well in UK anyway...

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
About.

Fucking.

Time.

Straying Bullet said:
The snobby Quebec people are pwned for the time being. That's my perception of things.

Yes, I want to Quebec and no, those people have yet to change my stereotype of them. French people fine but the Quebec people are too much for me. Don't flame, it's MY experience.
Since 90% of the Canadian population is unilingually English, I really don't think this is a big deal anyway.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
theshadavid said:
The Gentleman said:
Matt_LRR said:

-m

I promise she wont =D I say that as a conservative.
Pity, I really like downtown Vancover. But I really don't want to see American tanks rolling down near the Science Museum because She thought the oil piplines should be completely in the US.

Nov 5, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
The snobby Quebec people are pwned for the time being. That's my perception of things.

Yes, I want to Quebec and no, those people have yet to change my stereotype of them. French people fine but the Quebec people are too much for me. Don't flame, it's MY experience.
I'm in Quebec and I speak english... OH MY GOD I BLEW YOUR MIND RIGHT!
But yeah, thank god we'll finally be getting Netflix. Being a big film buff, it makes me really happy.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Good morning blues said:
About.

Fucking.

Time.

Straying Bullet said:

Since 90% of the Canadian population is unilingually English, I really don't think this is a big deal anyway.
Exactly, I haven't met anyone that only speaks French but still, it gave me two good chuckles when they mentioned "French will be included 'over time'". My humour is awkward I suppose.
don't forget New Brunswick they too are semi french

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
About damn time.

Wait, fall? Between this and Cataclysm, I'm beginning to suspect the universe is trying to make me fail my next term.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Netflix in Canada.... They didn't have their own type of movie delivery service? Hmmmmm Maybe not as cheap. O well your welcome - Signed the assholes known as America.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I can definitely understand why they've only given us the Online Component for the time being as the Mail Order Component will likely require them to set up a shipping office in Canada to avoid the difficulties of international shipping, which understandably, will take longer than getting the ability to stream online.