56% of American Gamers Don't Buy Games

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yopaz said:
And yet people will come here and say that used sales don't cause the publisher any reason to worry...
Well they don't. As you can see, more than 50% of Americans don't buy games, yet the video game industry is turning mad profit! What do you think is going to happen if we let them destroy used games sales, or worse, make every game online only so that you can't even borrow games to friends? Do you think that will make people buy more games? Seriously? People are more likely to say "fuck it" and move on to other, cheaper hobbies. It seems like the gaming industry wants to make games a luxury product only to be enjoyed by the rich. Not a lot of people have the money to buy all those games new. Shutting down used game sales will hurt the industry in the long run. And it will increase piracy! Who has that much money to buy all of the games coming out new? And if you make people buy only new games, they will buy less games. And the less new games they buy, the more careful they will be about purchasing games, which will lead to less pre-ordered games. And if you buy one game and you don't like it, chances are you will not buy the sequel even though it may turn out to be 100x better than any game you played in your life. Because you don't want to spend money on something you may not like and can't sell. The problem is, gaming industry is being run by retarded greedy old people who can only see a big dollar sign in front of their eyes.

And let's not forget that buying a game used doesn't hurt developers or publishers. The same way that buying used cars doesn't hurt car manufacturers. Game developers and publishers are only doing this because they can. It doesn't make it right, and it sure as hell isn't justified. And if you're siding with the corporations on this one then you're really clueless. One day you'll look back at the consumer rights you used to have and you'll realize that you let them take away all of your consumer rights and freedoms. How can people be so fuckin' brainwashed?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Personally I follow a 1 hour per dollar rule. If I expect to get 1 hour of enjoyment for every dollar a game costs I will buy it. With me playing very few multiplayer games that means I don't usually buy games new. I'm not spending 60 dollars for a 4 hour campaign.

Oct 30, 2010
Athinira said:
Yopaz said:
And yet people will come here and say that used sales don't cause the publisher any reason to worry...
Not compared to any other industry. Every single industry in the world that sells something that isn't 100% a 'service' has to deal with resales. Why should gaming be any different?

In short: Instead of worrying about it, factor it into your budget (or as Brad Wardell put it: Make games for your CUSTOMERS, not your users, because not all users are customers).
Because in most other cases there is either a longer delay before the product can be purchased used (consumer electronics, traditional used book stores), a much larger difference in prices (used and new cars) or a greater risk of loss of quality (cars, furniture, clothes).

TheDooD said:
$60 per game NEW, stacking hyped games on the same month, week and or DAY it's fucking sickening.Also fuck the publishers sitting on your high horse just because you have money flying out your ass that doesn't mean everybody else does you stupid, shithook bastards. They think gamers don't need to pay bills, buy food, take care of themselves.
o_O

Because there's a moral imperative to give you games? Because those dirty companies kidnapped your puppy and will toss it in a meat grinder if you don't purchase their product?

I've generally calmed down on my "entitlement" rhetoric but holy shit.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
So yeah the publishers are getting fucked in the ass by the second-hand market. And you know what? Its their own fault. We have no obligation to hold their hand and help them out. People buy what is cheaper, its just how the market works, for everybody. I dont think the games industry deserves to get a free pass from what every other industry has to deal with.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
If I HAD the money to spend, I'd buy 'em. But I'm not going to make my brother buy his own copy when I'd be playing it on HIS X-box.
Hevva said:
A new market study has indicated that "swapsies" is the most populat game of 2011.
I'll have to take your word for it since I don't know what 'poulat' means
What 'poulat' is this you speak of? He was obviously talking about a populat...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I fail to see how this article can be used as an argument against used games sales and piracy. It's not like publishers are clinging to their last breath. Games regularly break a million sales. The only reason publishers would want to get rid of the used games market is greed, plain and simple. People are to quick to do away with their rights as consumers.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sharing games is a custom that has existed since the dawn of video games and should never die. I bought a used copy of Arkham Asylum with a friend and since then both of us have played it (he played it twice) and we've lent it out to three other people (all but one has beaten it, the third is still playing through it). Considering it was a pre-owned game already, who knows how many people have played that disc. In the end, it makes the game more valuable on a sentimental level.

In other words: KEEP DIS SHIT ALIVE!

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
4173 said:
I didn't say they need to give me a damn thing. It's just they need not to ***** when I choose to buy their game used when it was too damn expensive for me to buy it new. If Publishers want people to buy new they need to sell cheap and stop treating those that buy used, rent, and or share games like they stole money out their pockets.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I don't find the day one DLC or online pass stuff very annoying at all really. If that's what the publishers come up with to ensure some extra money supports the industry with them I'm ok with that. I don't buy very many games used and those I do are usually more of an impulse buy or a much older game rather than something I've been looking forward to.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Or you know they could. Put their formerly published games on sale on spesific dates with ease of digital access, digital download or extra bonuses for a cheaper buck if you buy their outdated product 1-2 years after its release. You know?

You could actually potentially make money off supporting your used game for years (i.e blizzard supported sc broodwar for infinite years?)

OH WAIT? WOULD BE VALVE? Would that be blizzard? You wont follow in the footsteps they have set? OH SHIT A VALID BUISNESS STRATEGY?

WHAT EA? NO? YOUD RATHER COMPLAIN ABOUT PIRACY OR USED GAME SALES??

well a merry fuck to you too then ;3

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
TheDooD said:
4173 said:
I didn't say they need to give me a damn thing. It's just they need not to ***** when I choose to buy their game used when it was too damn expensive for me to buy it new. If Publishers want people to buy new they need to sell cheap and stop treating those that buy used, rent, and or share games like they stole money out their pockets.
Just for curiosities sake what price do you think a Triple A title should go at you know with the mulit-year development and total costs being over 500million dollars?

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Yopaz said:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/09/activision-blizzard-posts-record-profits-with-a-large-share-fro/
No reason at all, publishers are making money hand over fist. It's a stupid argument, the video game industry is doing very well and has been increasing pretty much year over year for the past 10 years.

So no I don't think used game sales should give any reason to worry. I worry about my rights to buy a used product though while a bunch of idiots go around and argue that the industry isn't making enough and they need to screw us over to survive.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Normandyfoxtrot said:
TheDooD said:
4173 said:
Just for curiosities sake what price do you think a Triple A title should go at you know with the mulit-year development and total costs being over 500million dollars?
33 - 50 - 70% - 90 off initial price depending on how much they actually support their customer base and make them feel wanted.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
EHKOS said:
Yeah...but...what about books, and movies. They don't whine like this. Or at least as much. I'm really sick of the whole subject.
This. If publishing, Cinema and Cars don't make such stupid claims then I don't understand why games complain so much. I mean it is not like these players don't buy the games or that the publishers get no money in this system. For every used game their was once a new game!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'm a bit shocked at those numbers. I almost never buy used, and I also almost never buy DLC lol.

Speaking of which... BF3's Karkand DLC pisses me off something fierce. Just because I didn't pre-order, I don't get it free? And on top of that it's basically an at-launch DLC... Fuckas.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I buy all my games new or on sale on Steam. I can't remember the last time I walked into a store though. Does this only count retail sales or also digital 'new' sales?

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Madkipz said:
Or you know they could. Put their formerly published games on sale on spesific dates with ease of digital access, digital download or extra bonuses for a cheaper buck if you buy their outdated product 1-2 years after its release. You know?

You could actually potentially make money off supporting your used game for years (i.e blizzard supported sc broodwar for infinite years?)

OH WAIT? WOULD BE VALVE? Would that be blizzard? You wont follow in the footsteps they have set? OH SHIT A VALID BUISNESS STRATEGY?

WHAT EA? NO? YOUD RATHER COMPLAIN ABOUT PIRACY OR USED GAME SALES??

well a merry fuck to you too then ;3
We should get a drink lol. It's insane, and what's worse are the idiots arguing to have their rights taken away.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
Madkipz said:
Normandyfoxtrot said:
TheDooD said:
4173 said:
33 - 50 - 70% - 90 off initial price depending on how much they actually support their customer base and make them feel wanted.
We're talking about launch day, not future sales Madkipz.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Hevva said:
...it's hard to see how publishers can avoid these methods without seeing a marked decrease in their profits.
No, it isn't.
The whole reason why the pre-owned games business (and game trading) is booming is because the original pricing is stupidly high.

Lower the prices of new games significantly, and alot more people will buy them, and more of them.

Alternatively, offer more content for the money asked.

I don't know about the average gamer, but when I get interested in a game and consider purchasing it I immediately weigh the play-time potential vs the asking price. User reviews are great for this, as you immediately get an idea how long the game will last before it's over in the hands of a seasoned gamer.

Less than 10 hours for 60$? No thanks.
40 hours for 60$? Shut up and take my money!