268: Hey, Listen, I Like Navi

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Hey, Listen, I Like Navi

Nobody likes to be told what to do, especially while playing a videogame. But Brendan Main argues that is precisely why Navi from Ocarina of Time is the best sidekick ever.

Read Full Article

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
That was a well written article for being about just one sidekick. But you're right. Although I'm still entitled to be annoyed that she must remind you every minute about what you have to do, even when you're doing it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
And right you are. I love Navi. Always at your side when things are dire, helping you to tackle your problems.

Then again, I liked the Water Temple as well, so maybe I'm just weird that way...

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
You actually made some pretty great points.

I lol'd at the Water Temple though

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I think thats the only time I've ever wanted to applaud after reading an article, well done.

Zerotwo

Nov 17, 2009
Great article, I never figured why she got on peoples nerves that much. I always felt she was very discreet, you can pretty much ignore her throughout the entire game if you want to and those "Hey"s and "Listen"s stops if you just take a sec to scroll through some text from time to time.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
honestly, i always didnt mind navi. it annoyed me when she tried reiterating plot points, but that be useful if you forget where to go

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Why do people dislike Navi?

Frequency. Both in the amount of times she's "HEY!" "LEESEN!" and the pitch of her voice was somewhere around nails on chalkboard.

Tatl was better. Tatl had personality.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I spent more times in front of Ocarina of Time than any other game on the N64, and I.... never really considered Navi. But yeah, now I think I like her too.

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
That was a bit of an eye opener.
I still think Navi is annoying, but not nearly as much so as I did before I read this article.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Navi was helpful, once. After that she became an irritating reminder that you had a nagging pixie at your side every minute.

Already knew a door was there, yah, look...Yah Navi, I know! Hey Listen Yah Navi, I know! Watch out Got it Navi, I know! I'm trying to handle things here can you come back later please...but no, she can't.

Helpful or not, sometimes I don't need to be spoonfed by a winged night-light. Also, being told over again about stuff she just told me is also irritating.

In closing, I don't think it was Navi specifically that annoyed people, it was the constant reiteration of stuff she just showed you or pointed out that got old really fast. Once you've been somewhere, most people don't need to be told again that the door on the left is locked and that you need a key to open it.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
FlameUnquenchable said:
JEBWrench said:
Tatl was better. Tatl had personality.
Tatl was also vewy vewy qwiet! Which is why I like Tatl more.
And when Tatl spoke up, it was to tell Link what an incompetent loser he was. (For the most part.)

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
I liked Navi, even more than Tatl, who was never any help (granted I didn't need the same help in Majora's Mask, but when her answer was basically, "I don't know, whack at it!", it seemed pointless to have her there).

Also, fuck the Water Temple. Even with re-playing the game, that one griefed me the most.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
Navi is the best, and it was nice to have her to talk to when everyone in market town wouldn't talk to me. You know they basically say "LOL get out of here kid, cuz' you're a kid LOL..."

[small]jerks[/small]

But really, Tatl was always more annoying because when she said something, it was always insulting and... not helpful... and annoying... and not helpful. Did I mention she's not helpful? That's what she's there for, but instead she chose to be a big annoyance.

[small]jerk[/small]

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I find it funny that many people actually started "hating" her because the internet told them so

the first time it ocurred to me to search for "old games" it was NAVI who i found, and i recall watching a "comic" about some guy who slashed her in two

then i saw another where link is in a mad house with "HEY! LISTEN!" scratched in the walls

I looked at all those things,i laughed, but i never felt the same, except i noticed a lot of the comments

"I never really thought about that, you are right!!"
"OH YEAH!!!, i remember navi being so anoying"

stuff like that...

she wasn´t "that" intrusive, she was actually quite enjoyable compared to other more intrusive forms of "comunicating" to the player, and she actually "helped"

but, as always, its cool to follow the leader and people just seem to jump into the hate bandwagon, who else here actually thought she was anoying before coming to the internet??... scratch that, better said, who else still thinks she is ok even after looking at everything the internet has said about her??