Free Update Blowing Up Borderlands Level Cap

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Free Update Blowing Up Borderlands Level Cap

A forthcoming update to Borderlands will allow all players to continue leveling up, free of charge.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford might be busy wowing the videogame industry with the news that the studio has taken over and is game-of-the-year edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8071-PAX-2010-Hands-On-Duke-Nukem-Forever] coming soon, prompting Gearbox to release a free update to all players.

The update will increase the level cap to 69 and will rebalance the game based on the new cap. It'll also be completely free for all players of Borderlands, whether they reside on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, or PC. The new ceiling is eight levels higher than the previous cap of 61, raised from the game's original 50 by third expansion pack The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.

Pitchford said that Gearbox wanted to increase the level cap again in its fourth expansion pack, but noticed that the feature would require the purchase of previous expansions. Rather than cause a fuss, the studio decided to release an update to everybody for free.

The Borderlands update is expected to be distributed around the time of the game-of-the-year edition's release on October 12. If you already own Borderlands and all expansions, the fourth, Claptrap's New Robot Revolution, is planned for release on September 28.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/05/free-borderlands-update-will-raise-level-cap-rebalance-main-gam/]

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Very nice of Gearbox, but I'm glad I got the DLC with the original level increase beforehand. Also, bad timing on their part as I'll be in pure dead rising 2 mode...

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
Wait, so even if you don't have the expansions you can get the update to increase the level cap?
Very awesome of you Gearbox.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Great, except I never play the game because it's extraordinarily unstable on ATI Graphics cards. That and Gamespy. Still, nice of gearbox to raise the cap up a bit.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good show by Gearbox. Now all they have to do is make the final boss worth killing [http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs268.ash1/19553_1348421317515_1440784922_30967803_3350699_n.jpg] ;)

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
As it happens, I recently created a new character and then picked up a gun which had bugged, doing damage in the region of 450,000. I don't need a higher level cap, everything already instagibs. :p

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Steve Dark said:
As it happens, I recently created a new character and then picked up a gun which had bugged, doing damage in the region of 450,000. I don't need a higher level cap, everything already instagibs. :p
and i thought my guns were 'bad' ( in a good way, but damn XD glitch guns doing 450k, thats..new XD

Zenoss

Mar 22, 2009
Pielikey said:
Great, except I never play the game because it's extraordinarily unstable on ATI Graphics cards. That and Gamespy. Still, nice of gearbox to raise the cap up a bit.
have you tried more recently? I've been playing with a Radeon 4850 a haven't had any problems for months. Ditto with gamespy. I mean, it's still a terrible service, but it does actually allow multiplayer now.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
blarg, kinda makes me wish I still had my copy of Borderlands
well, just a little bit
hope DNF turns out well :)

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Awesome. Gives me yet another excuse to throw valuable hours at LOOTING!

On a side issue, is anyone aware how the disc with Zombie Island and Underdome Riot works? Are the expansions on the disc so you can download directly (a la the GOTY of Fallout 3) or is there a download ticket to get them online?

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
fozzy360 said:

On a side issue, is anyone aware how the disc with Zombie Island and Underdome Riot works? Are the expansions on the disc so you can download directly (a la the GOTY of Fallout 3) or is there a download ticket to get them online?
You download them straight from the disk as far as I'm aware. I have the 360 version, so I'm not sure regarding PCs.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Xorph said:
fozzy360 said:

You download them straight from the disk as far as I'm aware. I have the 360 version, so I'm not sure regarding PCs.
That's the version I have. Thanks for the info.