Square Enix Devs Offer Perspective on Western Game Making

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Square Enix Devs Offer Perspective on Western Game Making

After working on a American/Japanese co-production, a pair of Japanese developers speak about what we're doing wrong, and what we're doing right.

To Western eyes, Japan can often seem quirky or even outright weird. The reverse is also true however, and getting an insight into the way we do things - in this case, making videogames - from people who do them very differently, can be very enlightening.

Speaking at the CESA Developers Conference in Yokohama, Japan, Square Enix developers Yosuke Shiokawa and Yuki Matsuzawa shared their experiences working with teams in the West on a project that is being co-developed in Japan and the US. The pair didn't have a particularly high opinion of Western videogames, but they did admit that certain Western practices had advantages over the Japanese way of doing things.

The pair believed that Western developers weren't striving for realism in their games, so much as believability, and that an unrealistic protagonist was fine as long as players were able to suspend their disbelief. They said that trying to make believable characters resulted in a certain character type - rugged, macho soldiers - being fairly common in the West.

In their opinion, the Japanese method of decision-making, where orders come down from upper-level management, was more effective at making consistent settings than the consensus model used by Western developers. They did concede however, that the bottom-up decision making style favored in the West was quicker and often result in greater project efficiency. They also thought that having a game "bible" - a shared document that contains all the important details for the game - helped maintain the consistency of a setting. Shiokawa and Matszawa said that in order for Japanese developers to be successful in the West, they would have to make their games believable in the same way that Western developers did.

Source: 1 UP [http://www.1up.com/news/square-enix-devs-discuss-secret]

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Orders coming down from upper-level management doesn't sound like a great thing to me, it seems to me it may make workers feel like they can't add to the project, but I suppose it keeps the vision intact if only a few higher up people choose what goes into the game. While that could work well if the main people have great vision and ideas, anything less than great will likely result in some features being subpar compared to the more idea-flowing setting of the Western market. I wonder who really enjoys making games more, though, as that is an important thing in my mind. Anyway, that is my two pence.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Dyp100 said:
Orders coming down from upper-level management doesn't sound like a great thing to me, it seems to me it may make workers feel like they can't add to the project, but I suppose it keeps the vision intact if only a few higher up people choose what goes into the game. While that could work well if the main people have great vision and ideas, anything less than great will likely result in some features being subpar compared to the more idea-flowing setting of the Western market. I wonder who really enjoys making games more, though, as that is an important thing in my mind. Anyway, that is my two pence.
You have to remember that Japan is very much more hierarchical society than occurs in the west. People expect that orders should be coming down from upper-level management and enjoyment just doesn't come into it at all.

I think the most interesting point was thinking was about believability in the west which think pretty much hit the nail on the head.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I liked the bit where they talk about the west having certain character types, LOL because they don't huh?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It feels like one and half dozen of other - Each have methods that work for each o them, and chrun out games of certain syles

1blackone

Dec 14, 2007
FinalDream said:
I liked the bit where they talk about the west having certain character types, LOL because they don't huh?
Exactly. "rugged, macho soldiers"? How many 88 lb. strawberry blond girls that can somehow jump 14 feet in the air and fight people 3x bigger than them (non-realism, much?) have they produced just in TWO YEARS? Lesse....Lightning from FFXIII, Estelle from ToV. Alisa Bosconovitch from Tekken 6, Maki from Persona.

Its Mirror-time, Japanese Devs.

D.G.M.W. they are entitled to their own perspective on the western market, it just seems they are using a cracked lens to view it with.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Dyp100 said:
Orders coming down from upper-level management doesn't sound like a great thing to me, it seems to me it may make workers feel like they can't add to the project, but I suppose it keeps the vision intact if only a few higher up people choose what goes into the game.
I thought that was how western studios operated already.

OT: I don't think believability and macho protagonists are neccessarily causally linked. An important factor is making the protagonist relatable, a fact which all developers, Japanese, western and other, would do well to reflect upon.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Games dont generally have to be believable to be good though, its often the wackier ones that are the best. I play games to escape the realism or believability of life, the stranger, the better. At least I think so

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Ohh yeah the androgenous heroes common in the east is very belivable -_-

bouchert

Sep 4, 2010
I'm looking forward to Square-Enix's new collaborative effort already. It's sure to mix the worst of Japan and the west into one horrible cliché package. It'll have hours of uninteractive CG cutscenes, be impossibly linear, lack gameplay depth, and star a macho meat-head marine of a protagonist.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
The Bioware necropost seems all the more appropriate now. Square should just stop talking because no matter what people will just crap on whatever they have to say.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
And people just dissing the Japanese without thinking about it. Don't know what else I expected. -_-

They're right in some respects, as Western developers try WAY too hard to make "badass" characters. However, Japanese developers try way to hard to make emotional characters. A mix between the two would be nice.

I don't understand why everything has to be realistic anyway. The reactions characters have to things should be, but other than that? Go all out. Make the most wacky world you can think of. Look at Katamari Damacy.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
bottom up decision making got us 12 year saga of duke nukem forever :p. how about more games go for the everyman in crazy situations like gordon freeman in half life noting overly macho about him other than people get a almost messianic worship of you in hl2, but he was a geeky scientist of some sort caught up in insanity with omnipotent beings all around him and him stuck in the middle of some esp gman that could stop time and space and pluck you out of things at his discreation, and aliens and aholes that wanted to kill him and everyone he cared about.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
This had better not mean the cookie-cutter badasses will be invading the Japanese gaming industry; I go to them when I can't take it any more and want a bit of fantasy for once -.-

And yep, nice to see the rawr-jRPGs-are-teh-sux crowd rearing once again..

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
The thought "Emo spiky-haired sword wielding hero or a person in power-armor with guns and no personality." comes to mind, which is a horrible choice.

Though isn't Square Enix the most profitable company in gaming globally?

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
1blackone said:
FinalDream said:
Exactly. "rugged, macho soldiers"? How many 88 lb. strawberry blond girls that can somehow jump 14 feet in the air and fight people 3x bigger than them (non-realism, much?) have they produced just in TWO YEARS? Lesse....Lightning from FFXIII, Estelle from ToV. Alisa Bosconovitch from Tekken 6, Maki from Persona.

Its Mirror-time, Japanese Devs.

D.G.M.W. they are entitled to their own perspective on the western market, it just seems they are using a cracked lens to view it with.
People, you're taking that comment out of context. Have you forgotten how Japanese developers are basically white-washing their games to appeal to the West now? The news has been popping up on the Escapist, you know. These devs are basically commenting under the assumption that "you're going to see us doing this, too, whether we like it or not." This was by no means a criticism or attack on Western game aesthetics and I'm baffled as to how you'd interpret otherwise.

I suppose reader bias and laziness has a lot to do with it.

Fensfield said:
This had better not mean the cookie-cutter badasses will be invading the Japanese gaming industry; I go to them when I can't take it any more and want a bit of fantasy for once -.-

And yep, nice to see the rawr-jRPGs-are-teh-sux crowd rearing once again..
Hear, hear.

It's a shame that major Japanese companies are becoming copycats of Western devs, and while the Japanese game industry has needed a fix for years now just copying the feel of Western games only treats the symptoms, not the cause.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
If they "don't have a high opinion of Western games", maybe they should look more carefully at Final Fantasy XIII. And VIII. And X.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Look Squeenix, I know you guys are having a hard time coming to grips with the current gen technology, but there's no reason to take it out on us.