6 Actresses Who Could Be Captain Marvel

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Gorfias said:
SKBPinkie said:
Any chance people may be interested in a brown Captain Marvel? Indians / brown people have almost no representation in most movies, let alone superhero flicks.
I personally wouldn't like it. I want to see the character I know on screen, coming to life.

More over, I think putting a brown character in to replace a white character is cheap and lazy. (Though, Ms. Marvel is a female version of an existing Male character already) I want to see original IP of brown characters. More like Blade, Cyborg, Deathlock, Spawn and Falcon. (And really, why no remake of Spawn? Desperately needs a reboot.)
Definitely agree that it would be better if there were more original IPs with a brown lead.

At the same time, I feel like it's not blasphemous to have an established character be of a different race or ethnicity, especially when it's not a central character trait.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
SoulChaserJ said:
You mention Gina Carano but not Ronda Rousey....suspect list is suspect.
Same. Personally I also am very high on Ronda Rousey being Ms. Marvel, her or Katee Sackhoff are the only two choices I have that I think could pull off the role. Both have that "it" factor for the Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel character.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Alakaizer said:
I find myself kinda surprised that Jeri Ryan didn't make the list.
Same here. She was great on Voyager. The only problem is that hollywood execs don't like older women in leading roles unless it's oscar bait about a historical figure.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
SKBPinkie said:
Lightknight said:
SKBPinkie said:
Any chance people may be interested in a brown Captain Marvel? Indians / brown people have almost no representation in most movies, let alone superhero flicks.
I would be interested in a Captain Marvel. Were said hero darker or lighter then it would not make it better or worse. If I liked a movie more because of the race of the actor/actress then that would be racist, no?
I'm not saying the movie would be better or worse for it, but just asking for representation, that's all.

Seeing how the comics have an arc where she is brown, I was just wondering if the movie might have that as well.
Monica Rambeau? Sure, that'd be a legitimate choice for a Captain Marvel movie. She was the first African American on the Avenger's team. My only complaint here is that she has spent far more time under other aliases and if they're going to make a movie with her I'd prefer it be under the alias Pulsar or Spectrum or whichever Alias she is most commonly associated with. Probably Spectrum.

In general the name "Captain Marvel" is an absolute mess when it comes to character association. Monica is probably the least legitimate incarnation of Captain Marvel but there's probably another five I'm forgetting because they were even less relevant.

In related news though, I'm pretty excited about Black Panther getting a film. That should be pretty damn cool.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
SKBPinkie said:
it would be better if there were more original IPs with a brown lead. [rather than brown people simply replacing white IP characters]

At the same time, I feel like it's not blasphemous to have an established character be of a different race or ethnicity, especially when it's not a central character trait.
Yeah, Heimdall played by the awesome Idris Elba is a good case in point. Really, who cares about the race change when the character is played so well by a terrific star? I love Sam Jackson as Fury as well: that is the Ultimate Universe version of him. But they weren't the character I went to see brought to life? But to just have... heck, forget race.. they thought about having Jack Black play Hal Jordan! WRONG! Love that guy but really?!?!? Again: make me believe I'm seeing a character I love brought to life on the big screen.

ITMT: I'd love to see more diversity in the comic book universes and film to represent them. Real Asians, Jews, etc. being people rather than, for lack of better term, stereo types!

So... give me a Ms. Marvel that makes me think it is the same person from the comic book brought to life!

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
IOwnTheSpire said:
Vykrel said:
im also surprised not to see Emily Blunt mentioned. honestly, though, and as much as people will surely jump down my throat about this, i believe Jennifer Lawrence would be the ideal choice.
I'm holding out for Jennifer Lawrence to play Lylla (Rocket's otter girlfriend) in a future GotG movie.
I think the problem with choosing Lawrence is that she is technically already a Marvel character (Mystique). Not a part of the MCU, but I believe Marvel/Disney is actively looking to avoid such situations.

Otherwise I would definitely agree with her being a solid choice.

2HF

May 24, 2011
SoulChaserJ said:
I adore Ronda as an MMA fighter but I saw her in Furious 7 and she's a dreadful actress. Small appearances should be fine for her but I don't think she'll ever be carrying a film.

Dec 10, 2012
Man, I would love to see Yvonne Strahovski, she is an underutilized actress. I agree she would probably be the best for the role (though feel free to take my opinion lightly, as I know nothing about Captain Marvel as a character).

But if I were to bet on one of the ladies from this list, it's Charlize. She would knock it out of the park too. After Fury Road, I would think she is getting top consideration from any studio looking to cast a nuanced action hero.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
2HF said:
SoulChaserJ said:
I adore Ronda as an MMA fighter but I saw her in Furious 7 and she's a dreadful actress. Small appearances should be fine for her but I don't think she'll ever be carrying a film.
As opposed to Gina in Furious 6? :p

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I haven't seen all that much to convince me that Zoe Bell can actually act, and Captain Marvel would be a bit close to the role Theron already played in Hancock (though that aside, I'm sure she'd be great). Sackhoff, of course, plays strong women very well.

But my dream casting would still be Gina Torres playing the version of Marvel in Agents of H.A.T.E..

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
IMO they should cast a relative unknown in the role. Someone young, and who won't be too expensive since apparently actors doing Marvel movies are now demanding mega-bucks, and it can be a pain to dish out all those salaries.

I'm also hoping they cast a real blonde as opposed to a dye job, simply because I get tired of every so called blonde having dark eyebrows or showing their hair roots... I know, I know, the jokes write themselves, but think about it. :)

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
SKBPinkie said:
there is a muslim Miss marvel but her backstory requires captain marvel to exsist as she is a massive fangirl of hers

Miss marvel is amazing by the way

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Vykrel said:
im also surprised not to see Emily Blunt mentioned. honestly, though, and as much as people will surely jump down my throat about this, i believe Jennifer Lawrence would be the ideal choice.

from what ive read about the character, someone of Lawrence's age may be the most appropriate, despite the uninitiated blindly insisting that she is too young for the role...

"The suggested timeline is that Carol is born in 1938, joins the Air Force in 1956, joins the CIA in 1963 (her CIA cases are pretty firmly set in the early 60s in the published flashbacks), and joins NASA in 1967 (the publication date). She leaves NASA in 1975 and becomes the editor of Woman magazine in 1977 (the publication date).
Beyond the publication dates, there are unusually clear data points establishing Danvers as being quite older than ?modern? super-heroes. At one point we see Warren Worthington III, aged about 12, in the same scene as Danvers, aged about 26 ; we also know that Carol was busted out of Lubyanka when Rogue was about nine years old. Lastly Danvers seems to be of roughly the same age as the Black Widow, who has a documented anagathic factor, whenever they cross paths.

This chronology leads to the conclusion that Danvers? ageing is considerably slowed down, and/or that she was rejuvenated. Her ageing likely starts slowing down in 1958 - in 1977 she looks about 28 or 30 whereas by our timeline she should be pushing forty, and in 2007 she can?t look a day older than 32 whereas by our timeline she would be nearly 70." - See more at: http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=4493#sthash.dIWsQvFh.dpuf

given that the film is scheduled to be released in November of 2018, that would put Jennifer at 27 at the time of filming, and given that she has a naturally youthful appearance, this would serve the franchise well in the long run, just as it has for X-Men, what with Mystiques slow aging properties coinciding with Jennifer's appearance. as awesome a job as i think Emily Blunt would do with the part, i dont think it would be particularly wise to cast someone in their mid-thirties to play a character who apparently ages very slowly. while Lawrence would be 27 at the time of shooting the first film, Blunt would be pushing 35. and a sequel would probably be shot post-2020.

aside from that, Captain Marvel would supposedly be the most powerful member of The Avengers by the time she is introduced, so it would probably also be of benefit to the franchise if she is played by someone whose star power rivals that of Robert Downey Jr.

i cant see her taking the part, but Lawrence does seem to be the most appropriate choice, as far as known performers go. honestly, it seems like a great opportunity. she is obviously a bit burnt out by the blockbusters, but since she is now officially finished with The Hunger Games, and Apocalypse will likely be her final X-Men film, she could replace the two of them with Captain Marvel, which would see her doing a blockbuster film once every few years, rather than every single year. and speaking of The Hunger Games, i believe Francis Lawrence would be an excellent choice (and i also think they should not hire a female director simply for the sake of hiring a female director). he has done an excellent job with the last couple of HG films, and since Carol Danvers is apparently a more serious character, he would be a great choice for director.
1. Floating Timeline's look them up.
2. Avengers 3 & 4 film next year and Carol's set to appear.
3. Danvers is a Air Force Colonel, Jennifer is too young for that.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
MatParker116 said:
1. Floating Timeline's look them up.
2. Avengers 3 & 4 film next year and Carol's set to appear.
3. Danvers is a Air Force Colonel, Jennifer is too young for that.
1. floating timeline doesnt apply to live action films. if they keep Danvers' origin and have her joining the air force in the 50's, they will have to explain how she is still a young woman when she joins the Avengers in the 21st century. if not, then they have to give the character a new origin where she is born in the 80's.

2. i cant find any information online supporting this statement. it isnt a far-fetched assumption, considering Infinity War Part 1 and Captain Marvel are scheduled to come out in the same year, but i see no announcement that the character will appear in Part 1 or 2.

3. no, she isnt. according to this: "The suggested timeline is that Carol is born in 1938, joins the Air Force in 1956, joins the CIA in 1963 (her CIA cases are pretty firmly set in the early 60s in the published flashbacks)", Danvers may have been Jennifer's current age when she LEFT the Air Force. it is worth noting that the character, like most superheroes, is an exceptional person, and probably achieved a whole lot far faster than everybody else. thats why they end up becoming superheroes.

more here: "Carol Danvers entered the Air Force upon graduating from high school to pursue her love of aircrafts and her dreams of flying. Carol was a top student at the Air Force Academy and enjoyed a rapid career advancement rising to the rank of Major. Because of her stellar performance, superb combat skills and natural intellect, Carol was recruited into the intelligence field. She ended up serving with the C.I.A., during which time she met and worked with Colonel Nick Fury. She was partnered with Colonel Michael Rossi and the two became lovers. Carol had a distinguished career in the C.I.A." she was also promoted to Colonel upon retirement.

if we go by age of the youngest real life Colonels when they achieved the rank, then none of the actress candidates are old enough to play Captain Marvel, nor is Danvers old enough to have made Colonel in real life, but we are talking about a comic book character in a comic book reality.

nevertheless, there is no reason the films have to adhere completely to the comics. they never do. in the comics, Danvers may have made it to Colonel, but in the films, maybe she will only make it as far as Second Lieutenant. who knows? maybe she never joins the CIA or NASA. the writers just need to come up with whatever they can to make it work. still, they dont have to do a lot to make it work. the character in the comics is exceptionally young for all she accomplished, so i have no idea why all of the candidates for the film role are in their thirties, rather than mid-twenties.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Firefilm said:
6 Actresses Who Could Be Captain Marvel

Charlize Theron? Katee Sackhoff? Which actresses would make the best Captain Marvel?

Read Full Article
Strahovski or Cuoco-Sweeting
Would fit into the Marvel way of casting to be honest.

Theron would absolutely blow at this, that'd probably be the "sony makes marvel" choice I.E taking a way too serious take on the character.

The point with the current cast of the Avengers is that whilst serious they were all a little goofy here and there, Strahovski has played both the Gritty and the Funny/Quirky before. with Cuoco-Sweeting it's just a matter of wether or not she's a 1-trick pony.

She might stick out due to her established persona in a similar manner to the way Will Smith does.

oh and it would be the first time she's not playing an airhead so that's new.