6 Actresses Who Could Be Captain Marvel

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Vykrel said:
im also surprised not to see Emily Blunt mentioned. honestly, though, and as much as people will surely jump down my throat about this, i believe Jennifer Lawrence would be the ideal choice.

from what ive read about the character, someone of Lawrence's age may be the most appropriate, despite the uninitiated blindly insisting that she is too young for the role...

"The suggested timeline is that Carol is born in 1938, joins the Air Force in 1956, joins the CIA in 1963 (her CIA cases are pretty firmly set in the early 60s in the published flashbacks), and joins NASA in 1967 (the publication date). She leaves NASA in 1975 and becomes the editor of Woman magazine in 1977 (the publication date).
Beyond the publication dates, there are unusually clear data points establishing Danvers as being quite older than ?modern? super-heroes. At one point we see Warren Worthington III, aged about 12, in the same scene as Danvers, aged about 26 ; we also know that Carol was busted out of Lubyanka when Rogue was about nine years old. Lastly Danvers seems to be of roughly the same age as the Black Widow, who has a documented anagathic factor, whenever they cross paths.

This chronology leads to the conclusion that Danvers? ageing is considerably slowed down, and/or that she was rejuvenated. Her ageing likely starts slowing down in 1958 - in 1977 she looks about 28 or 30 whereas by our timeline she should be pushing forty, and in 2007 she can?t look a day older than 32 whereas by our timeline she would be nearly 70." - See more at: http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=4493#sthash.dIWsQvFh.dpuf

given that the film is scheduled to be released in November of 2018, that would put Jennifer at 27 at the time of filming, and given that she has a naturally youthful appearance, this would serve the franchise well in the long run, just as it has for X-Men, what with Mystiques slow aging properties coinciding with Jennifer's appearance. as awesome a job as i think Emily Blunt would do with the part, i dont think it would be particularly wise to cast someone in their mid-thirties to play a character who apparently ages very slowly. while Lawrence would be 27 at the time of shooting the first film, Blunt would be pushing 35. and a sequel would probably be shot post-2020.

aside from that, Captain Marvel would supposedly be the most powerful member of The Avengers by the time she is introduced, so it would probably also be of benefit to the franchise if she is played by someone whose star power rivals that of Robert Downey Jr.

i cant see her taking the part, but Lawrence does seem to be the most appropriate choice, as far as known performers go. honestly, it seems like a great opportunity. she is obviously a bit burnt out by the blockbusters, but since she is now officially finished with The Hunger Games, and Apocalypse will likely be her final X-Men film, she could replace the two of them with Captain Marvel, which would see her doing a blockbuster film once every few years, rather than every single year. and speaking of The Hunger Games, i believe Francis Lawrence would be an excellent choice (and i also think they should not hire a female director simply for the sake of hiring a female director). he has done an excellent job with the last couple of HG films, and since Carol Danvers is apparently a more serious character, he would be a great choice for director.
Bah, no Lawrence couldn't pull this character of in a million years.

Edit: if we're going for far fetched casting decisions like that you might as well consider Rose Leslie or Lucy Walters.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Politrukk said:
it is quite silly to dismiss a performer as being unable to play a character when you havent even seen them try... especially when the person you are dismissing is a three-time Oscar nominee and one-time winner who leads her own action franchise.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Vykrel said:
Politrukk said:
it is quite silly to dismiss a performer as being unable to play a character when you havent even seen them try... especially when the person you are dismissing is a three-time Oscar nominee and one-time winner who leads her own action franchise.
I'm dismissing her on that exact base.

And have you considered there may be people who don't feel she deserved an Oscar or who don't see the Oscars as a benchmark?

Saying Lawrence is "good" because she has won an Oscar is quite similar to saying DiCaprio is "bad" for not having won one (he still hasn't right? correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway she doesn't fit the Miss Marvel persona for me, not at all and to be honest it'd be playing right into the SJW hype and devalue her performance anyway.

Aside from the fact that I dislike her as an actress: the reasons why I dislike her as an actress are what make her unsuited for the role (Her "persona" so to speak and looking at her past roles and how she played them).

I'd say Jennifer Lawrence is a bit similar to the lass who plays Daenerys Targaryen in that the way they act really rubs some people (like me) the wrong way.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Politrukk said:
i used the Oscars as an example because, whether you agree or not, they are a benchmark for talent. there are no bad actors with three acting nominations. and no, it is not the same as saying someone is bad for not winning an Oscar. there are plenty of phenomenal actors who are Oscar-less. however, there are no garbage actors who have multiple nominations. people can get lucky once and manage to play one role well, but when someone has been nominated for a slew of major awards for multiple performances, that is an indicator of talent.

speaking of major awards, the Oscars are not the only example one can provide. there are five major acting awards: the Academy Award, the Golden Globe Award, the Screen Actors Guild Award, the BAFTA Award, and the Critics' Choice Award. with the exception of her missing out on a single BAFTA nomination for Winter's Bone, Jennifer has been nominated for all of these awards for all three of her three most acclaimed performances. in addition to the Oscar, she has won two Globes, a SAG, and a BAFTA award.

these awards are all voted on by different members of the film industry, and in significant numbers. the Golden Globes are voted on by foreign journalists, the BAFTA is voted on by the British Academy, the Critics' Choice is obviously voted on by critics, the SAG is voted on by actors, and the Oscar is voted on by just about everyone. all of them have reached a general consensus that the girl is incredibly talented, regardless of what way she rubs you. but if you dont want to pay any mind to the professionals' opinions, ill provide my own assessment of her abilities as an actor. i am adept at recognizing acting talent and predicting which performances will go on to win these awards (not bragging; acting is just the thing i am able to judge better than anything else in regards to film. i dont know crap about most of the technical stuff). i predicted Jennifer's Oscar win before i was even halfway through Silver Linings Playbook, and this was well before any nominations were announced. same deal with her nomination for American Hustle. it is very rare for me to be so sure of the quality of a performance that i am able to accurately predict such a thing before ive even begun the third act. and honestly, i wont be surprised in the slightest if her upcoming performance in Joy causes me to make a similar prediction. she was impressive in the teaser alone.

anyway, you cant just say someone would be bad for a role because you simply dont like them. i provided logical reasons why she would fit the character, and have pointed out the fact that she has played a multitude of roles which have resulted in significant praise and awards recognition. all youve said is that she rubs you the wrong way, which is not an argument against her abilities. all it says is that you wont even consider her as an option. and that SJW bullcrap is... come on. what is that even about? that has nothing to do with anything. seeing you type that out has actually irritated me, because it is just so out of nowhere and insulting. and her persona? that also has nothing to do with her ability to play the part. as for her past roles and how she played them, well, she played them exactly as they were written and has garnered significant praise for nearly all of them. hell, she has even had a couple of films that were very poorly received, yet the majority of critics pointed out that she shone in them as a single bright spot.

just because you dont like someone doesnt mean they arent good at their job. if someone told you they didnt like DiCaprio's acting, you would have every reason to roll your eyes, because like Lawrence, Leo is incredibly talented. you are simply letting other nonsense get in the way of your ability to judge her abilities fairly. people do this all the time with actors, and it completely taints any opinion they may have about an actor's talent, because it comes from nitpicking or misguided feelings, rather than fair and true critique. if you go into a performer's film with the prepared mindset of "i dont like this actor", then of course you arent going to like their performance, because you will only be thinking about how much you dont like the person. that is no way to watch films/tv. no actor should "rub you the wrong way". its just ridiculous. there are actors i hate, but i can watch their performances and judge them fairly, and not dismiss them when someone else suggests they may be a good choice for a certain role.