6-year old boy stabbed, shouldn't have worn pink.

Semi-Human

Nov 16, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
The school's response as to why is reasonable. Here's a 6 year old boy... wearing pink. Other 6 year old boys can/will be assholes. They're going to bully the every loving fuck out of that kid. It's going to happen, though the stabbing is such an extreme example of bullying it's ridiculous.

With that said- I would have sued that school out of house and home for treating the situation like it was no big deal. School need to admit that, yes, bullying is going to happen, but if a child is stabbed, even if it is a minor injury, SOMETHING needs to be done.

Semi-Human said:
Shycte said:
Semi-Human said:
I get what there saying i mean certain shit will just get you bullied. And kids always do.
But that doesn't mean you should accept it or that it some how makes it okay. I mean thats the whole point of raising kids.

If your that much of a incompetent fucktard that you just let bullying happen as a teacher your better of throwing your dumbass of a bridge.

Hunter6475 said:
4)There are plenty of ways he can get around wearing pink like for example, wear a pink shirt but a (insert fitting color here) sweater over it.
Kinda beats the point doesn't it? Its like saying its okay to be gay, just make sure no one finds out.
Don't ask don't tell ya' know?
yeah fuck that retarded bullshit.

Don't ask don't tell what exactly, that your Jewish? Muslim? Christian? Straight? Black?
What good reason would you have for indulging the bigotry of idiots? Why on earth would every one else have to go out of there way just because some jackass will throw a tantrum if you don't?
These "bigots" are idiotic 6 year olds. So yeah, you should cater to them for the time being while waiting for them to learn (by teaching them or having their parents talk to them) that it's wrong to make fun of someone for being different. They don't know any better.

Though I will agree that the teachers should have handled the situation much, much better.
If your trying to educate them and correct there behavior your not catering to them or indulging there behavior. There is a prefectly good oppertunity to teach them right then and there. And its only bye exposing them to things like this at a early age that you can teach them to be more accepting. i'm not saying that they should kick the kid out of school. Just that they shouldn't advice kids to stop being them selves just to avoid idiots.
But i'm guessing where pretty much in agreement here

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Sutter Cane said:
Yes, we should just encourage kids that are different that they should stop being unique and learn to be normal just like everybody else. That's sure the right message to send

Just because bullying happens doesn't mean that we should accept it AT ALL. How are the parents wrong for allowing their child to pursue his own interests? Isn't that a GOOD thing? Honestly I think teaching kids the lesson that it' only OK to like certain things because of your sex is much much more destructive than what the parents did here.
Honestly, in an ideal world it'd be nice if that worked but no matter how much sarcasm you deploy against me you're not going to change how children work. This is perfectly normal behaviour at this age and it's not something you can change, they grow out of it on their own but sending a child to school in nail varnish is asking for some trouble. I'm shocked that the parents can have children and yet not understand how children work.
If I may quote my psychology professor, "Just because it's it's normal for a child to act that way, doesn't mean that it is acceptable behavior." That's pretty much the stance i take on bullying. The fact that the school did nothing about it makes me absolutely sick. Did the victim's actions make him a more likely target, yes, but doesn't excuse the bullying AT ALL. Especially not when it's an attempted stabbing. Also do you not think that sending your child the message, "it's not ok to openly like the things that you do," could be damaging to the child? That seems like a pretty poor message to be sending a little kid.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Shycte said:
Sjakie said:
6 year old and nail polish...

i dont care if it's a boy, that's just too young.

being bullied for wearing pink as a boy i can understand though. right or wrong, that's just how it is.
And we are to accept that?
I don't get what you're point is. Are you trying to change the way children are?

By their very nature that's impossible. At six I don't think they're old enough to understand what they're doing wrong. All we can do is show them that it's wrong.

Regardless of what you might think, no one is born understanding. We're all born prejudice and self centred. We have to be taught to be accepting and kind.

It sounds like the child didn't get injured and surely the bully will now be punished. He may learn a lesson from it.

You can't expect to impose an adult understanding of morality and acceptance onto a 6 year old child.

They simply haven't had enough life experiences to fully grasp such complex concepts.
I've actully had quite a lot of experience with children, I'm a judo coach and I'm resposible for the beginners group in which I have about 15 kids raging from five to nine years old. You know something, I never ever accept bullshit from them. I doesn't matter if they give it to me or some other kid. I demand dicipline and I enforce it when I have to, because as you said, they aren't born understanding so someone have to teach them.

The point is, I know from personal experience that you have to show kids what is right and what is wrong, and never ever accept it. We can't just accept that kids wearing pink shirts will be bullied, because we know better, or at least some of us do, and we have to teach the kids what's right and what's wrong.

If one of my kids at the dojo bullied another kid over a pink shirt I would tell him to stop. If he activly tried to harm him I would haul his motherfucking ass out of there before he could say what again.

EDIT: Also, the fact that he bullies him over the colour pink means that he thinks it's girly and wrong. Now isn't that just as complex really? Remember, this is outside influence. He has gotten these ideas from someone, then why couldn't the ideas be the opposite?

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Faladorian said:
I think it's funny (in a sick kind of way) how much color matters even though color doesn't exist. Some people might call me retarded for that statement, but it's true. There is no such thing as color. A tree is not brown, plants are not green, his shirt was not pink, people's skin isn't brown. Color is just our way of seeing reflectivity. Some animals see only shades of grey, some animals use sonar, echolocation, antennae, scent. Are they just less perceptive than us? Well, no.

Now, with that said, it looks like Sweden has some homophobia issues it needs to put aside. You can't even tell if somebody is gay when they're 6 years old. How about you just let the kid like what he wants to like?

Normally I just let people believe what they believe, but if your belief system says that homosexuality is wrong, immoral, weird, unnatural, evil, etc. then your belief system is wrong. I don't care if you were bullied as a kid, I don't care if it's just "the culture," I don't care if the church says so, the bullies, culture, and church are all wrong. I'm not saying those things are always wrong (although... the earth is flat, the sun orbits the earth, the earth is the center of the universe, disease is caused by demons (then, after that, cursed air), evolution never happened, man coexisted with dinosaurs, there were witches, vampires, werewolves, and imps, slavery is okay, and finally [just off the top of my head] homosexuality is wrong. If they've been wrong about nearly everything else, why should that change now that they're saying that one person can be better than another just based on their sexual attraction? It shouldn't), but in this case it's unacceptable.

Gays are people, too. And probably stronger than the homophobes, since they have to deal with them left and right. Homophobes are just racists, except for some reason it's socially acceptable to be homophobic but not racist. Hating someone for their sexuality is just as ridiculous as hating them for the color of their skin.

TL;DR: Homophobes need to get over themselves, because being gay is not wrong. If you believe it's wrong, you're wrong.
Nice thought policing there, I bet you're a Liberal Democrat.

Also some nice made up examples of church beliefs...

OT The bully should be insta-expelled. You can't tolerate that sort of thing, he clearly has mental issues if he's going to stab someone, blunt knife or not.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Shycte said:
So there is a news story here in Sweden, a 6-year old boy got stabbed by his class mate with a blunt knife(table knife or something). The kid, the one who got stabbed, had been bullied because he liked the colour pink, ballet and nail polish. The school responed this with "If you wear pink, you better be prepared to get bullied".

This has resulted in some debate wheter it's okay for parents to dress their child like that, even though they know he might be at risk for bullying. I think it's the most stupid things I ever heard, you aren't to let the bullies set the rules.

The Escapists toughts on this?

Source in Swedish: http://www.aftonbladet.se/wendela/barn/article8547463.ab

Source in English: http://www.thelocal.se/31978/20110211/
Damn, all of the people inovled other then the victem is being an ass.

While the school's words are true, they should do more to prevent this shit from going on.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Shycte said:
So there is a news story here in Sweden, a 6-year old boy got stabbed by his class mate with a blunt knife(table knife or something). The kid, the one who got stabbed, had been bullied because he liked the colour pink, ballet and nail polish. The school responed this with "If you wear pink, you better be prepared to get bullied".

This has resulted in some debate wheter it's okay for parents to dress their child like that, even though they know he might be at risk for bullying. I think it's the most stupid things I ever heard, you aren't to let the bullies set the rules.

The Escapists toughts on this?

Source in Swedish: http://www.aftonbladet.se/wendela/barn/article8547463.ab

Source in English: http://www.thelocal.se/31978/20110211/

don't let the bullies set the rules? how . . . by telling him to keep wearing pink? that's not going to help . . . and by today's standards the "allowable" options for dealing with bullies won't hep either.

tell him it's bad to bully, he keeps bullying, detention, same, suspension, same, expulsion his parents send him to a different school same . . .

if the kid knew he'd be hurt by bullies for wearing pink but was willing to accept it and try to defend himself, I'm all for him doing what he wants . . . but if he KNOWS he can't stop a bully, knows the reason he keeps getting selected is the obvious color of clothing and KNOWS that not wearing it would stop it . . . then I'm wondering why it's better to take the beatings . . .

since after all my option for stopping it, while garunteed to work and permanent isn't "acceptable" one has to wonder how a parent or child would accomplish anything at all beyond beuracratic problem solving (which is to say put red tape on top do nothing and call it solved)

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
This reminded me of Let the Right One In, and then I realized that the boy's name was Oskar, which pretty much seals the deal.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
XxRyanxX said:
..Getting stabbed is a small incident to them? Holy crap, I mean I have seriously seem some bullying before and hey even I was bullied but getting stabbed? You go to jail for that here in America spite the reason and for a six year old to do that? I Don't Care for their reason why for not liking pink, that's utterly cruel and what is the school thinking saying "If you wear pink, you better be prepared to get bullied"? So if I was there, wearing a 'Breast Cancer' ribbon on my chest and I get shot, will the school react the same way because I decided to wear pink?

It's this logic that causes many issues within Society. That school is lucky it's not in America because they'd be sued big time and probably all over the news. Still, no offense guys like I know that the kid is ok but what if he got seriously injured or the knife did more then just harmed him? Stabbing someone usually is an attempt to kill, because I don't know anyone who uses a knife and doesn't end up killing someone. Anyhow, this in my eyes is a flaw of their Society and if I was the parents of this child learning that my Child that I raised and loved was stabbed, then you bet that I would probably go all out on the Principle.

No, seriously like think about it. Wouldn't anyone get very upset, offended, and bewildered by this? That's just my personal opinion, but overall this is disturbing because not only do they take this so lightly with a harsh response with no justice involved, but they ignore the fact a little kid, six years old stabbed someone for wearing pink. Doesn't that, or shouldn't that worry people? If action isn't taken, that child will certainly do worse things later. Thanks for the Thread, am glad to know about this so I got the chance to Post. If anyone dislikes what I say, then please PM me so we may discuss this issue.
Yeah, it's at times like these that I'm actually happy for the sue happy nature of Americans. because there's no way in hell that this would fly here in the states. If some kid tried to stab another in the neck there wold most definitely b hell to pay.

EscChaos

Feb 14, 2008
Tragic story in which the teachers should have reacted harshly rather than trying to hide what happened. That said, the kid quite obviously didn't get Stabbed, he got Poked. The average dining knife can barely penetrate the skin when weilded by a six year old unless he is sitting on top of the other kid, and had he been "penetrated" which may I remind is the definition of stabbing I hardly think it would have taken untill the evening for someone to react.

Just ranting on the deliberately sensational and frustrating writing that is the swedish evening press.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
Shycte said:
The kid, the one who got stabbed, had been bullied because he liked the colour pink, ballet and nail polish. The school responed this with "If you wear pink, you better be prepared to get bullied".
If you dress like a fairy, you could expect some trolls to bully you.

None the less, the school should have reacted to this, as it is an institution where ethics & morals are supposed to be taught... oh wait, no, that's the parents job, isn't it?

I'm having a hard time thinking about writing something neutral, but it will probably become an anti-gay rant, so I'll better shut up now.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
From a logical perspective, yes, if you wear pink be ready to be bullied. Now the school should do everything in their power to prevent such actions but lets be real here, it won't stop it. There is only so much the school can do. Their reaction was terrible in this case, however. Bigotry sucks but realistically its going to happen and one shouldn't be surprised when it does.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The psychology behind the attack is (from a child's point of view), predictable.
This makes the act no less disgusting though.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Kl4pp5tuhl said:
Shycte said:
The kid, the one who got stabbed, had been bullied because he liked the colour pink, ballet and nail polish. The school responed this with "If you wear pink, you better be prepared to get bullied".
If you dress like a fairy, you could expect some trolls to bully you.

None the less, the school should have reacted to this, as it is an institution where ethics & morals are supposed to be taught... oh wait, no, that's the parents job, isn't it?

I'm having a hard time thinking about writing something neutral, but it will probably become an anti-gay rant, so I'll better shut up now.
Not stabbing and hatin' doesn't fall under "ethics and morals", it falls under social competence, which is just as important as any other subject. Therefor I support the idea of a "Behavior grades", but that's another story.

EDIT: Sorry dathwampeer, didn't mean to quote you.