6 Years Later, Interplay Returns to Publishing

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
6 Years Later, Interplay Returns to Publishing

After years of relative silence, Interplay is officially returning as a videogame publisher, but its upcoming titles are much smaller than the projects it used to put out.

It's been a long time since Interplay published a videogame, but the company is proudly stepping back into the business after a six year leave-of-absence. Thanks to its Interplay Discovery Publishing Program, which is designed to help smaller developers get published, the company will be putting out at least two brand new games this year.

The firm has announced that it will be publishing the following games in October: [http://www.pinball.coderunners.com/] from CodeRunners and Tommy Tronic from Oasis Games. Tommy Tronic will only be released on the PC, but Pinball, Yeah will also come out on iPhone and Mac platforms.

This is the first time Interplay has returned to games publishing since it practically shut down in 2004, though it managed to stave off a corporate death thanks to the sale of the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B001REZLY8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283368461&sr=8-2>Fallout license to Bethesda in 2007. The company is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101882-Interplay-Sends-out-Fallout-Online-Teasers>still working on a Fallout MMO with Masthead Studios, though that title needs to be released before the end of 2011 or Bethesda will reclaim the rights by default.

Until the Fallout MMO is published, it sounds like Interplay's main source of income will be from its Discovery program. It'll be interesting to see how successful this venture proves to be in October.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-09-01-interplay-returns-to-publishing>GamesIndustry.biz

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Now Now, this is just interplay getting back up. If they do well we might see a bright future ahead of them. Best to do right now is to buy their old games and their new intill they can get back on their feet.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Respect for these guys for being the most persistent games company ever.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least they are making an attept which is mpore than can be said than some - Be nice to see them on the field one more time

Samualwallow

Aug 27, 2009
Dont forget that it's actually good that smaller companies get a chance at publishing games properly thanks to interplay. Remember how every large studio once started small, and expanded when they got a title just right.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
oh lord. Herve Caen is at it again. if you guys thought bobby Kotick was bad, meet the master of jackassery Herve Caen. he invented the formula bobby kotick uses today.
I am suddenly extremely terrified.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Respect for these guys for being the most persistent games company ever.
Well...Atari might be that, but, it's only the brand that survives after many buyouts over the years.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Im impressed that they survived so far, and the fact they are giving small publishers a chance could lead to great things...

Im not mad about what im hearing about Herve Caen though... i loved black Isles work :(

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
shewolf51 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
shewolf51 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
oh lord. Herve Caen is at it again. if you guys thought bobby Kotick was bad, meet the master of jackassery Herve Caen. he invented the formula bobby kotick uses today.
he was the one who sold out fallout to be an explosion filled halo wannabe. he put the final bullet in the head of fallout and black isle in a demonstration of greed.
I-wha-bu-....

yes. he was the one who allowed fallout: BOS to be made. that alone is a crime against humanity.
This man must die. Ready the gatling guns.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
shewolf51 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
shewolf51 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
shewolf51 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
he was the one who sold out fallout to be an explosion filled halo wannabe. he put the final bullet in the head of fallout and black isle in a demonstration of greed.
I-wha-bu-....

yes. he was the one who allowed fallout: BOS to be made. that alone is a crime against humanity.
This man must die. Ready the gatling guns.
me or herve caen? or allowed that abomination to leave the idea room?
Herve Caen. And while I'm at it, might as well remove Kotick from the gaming industry.