60 FPS is Modern Warfare 3's "Competitive Edge"

Druyn

May 6, 2010
TerribleAssassin said:
This is childish, if you really want to sell a game, just say if you liked this then you'll enjoy that...
People don't quite know how to sell to our generation yet.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
The only place that this 60fps arguement would be truly valid is music games. Because seriously, if your not running at 60, you shouldn't be running it at all (60fps basically = the perfect sweet spot for music games)

Also this is not a selling point unless you are on a mobile device (PewPew for iOS and Android really does come to mind as they used the same point to sell the game to people, expect it makes sense on a phone)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Vibhor said:
Wait, if a game runs faster its better right?
LOGIC!
Well to refute this game logic, I would answer that Magic Carpet runs at 90FPS on the standard setting. Thus according to activision logic, it is better than any call of duty ever made.
That's not logic. That's like saying:

"If Blu-ray is better than DVD? So Transformers 2 on Blu-ray is better than Casablanca on DVD..."

Selvec said:
Ah ha. So that extra power thrown into COD: MW 3 could have been put towards better visuals, longer story line, and greater variety of audio sounds. But instead they used it to push the limited to 60 FPS. Which is really a waste of time when everyone else is also running at 60 FPS.
(1) 60fps has absolutely no bearing on storyline or audio.
(2) it does mean lower graphics, this is a GOOD thing, it means the art budget is much lower and actually makes it easier to craft a good story... whether they actually bother making a good story
(3) CoD is the ONLY shooter running at 60fps, the only other games running at 60fps are sports or racing games.

Dragunai said:
What? 60fps while the combat is limited to at most 8v8, no destructible terrain and the same weapons and perks as the last 4 COD games?

LEAVE NOW!
You think you're insulting CoD, you're also insulting Counterstrike.

That's why I think CoD and BF3 are just too different to be competitors, 8v8 and 24v24 in such different environments with different spawn systems.

BF3 is very much a class shooter but COD really isn't, even though it has a "create-a-class" it is really nothing more than a glorified weapon selection screen with perks in the same vein as equipment (armour = juggernaut, gas-mask, etc). I don't think fans of one will necessarily be fans of the other.

BF3 may appeal to some COD fans, but you can't say "if you liked COD then you'll love BF3" it's looking to be a good game but it is not looking like the be the same kind of game as COD. It seems to be much more that we all WANT someone to stand up and compete with COD, and BF3 happens to be the closest competition.

Now the much rumoured Counterstrike 2, THAT would be a COD competitor.

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
Shouldn't they worry about making their game good and fun instead of FPS and stuff like that ?

No. Silly me

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
CoD's competitive edge is that it has CoD in the title. That's all it needs, and it can sell millions. A higher framerate is fluff, really. :p

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
WOW. 60FPS is nothing most competition players were running configs in CoD4 to optimise their FPS from at least 125 FPS and this would be for medium end to low end computers that were on the same level as the console. Also there were FPS caps on some servers to prevent people having stupidly high FPS's on competitive mode owning everyone because if i remember correctly it gave people advantages in some areas

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Great jorb Glenn, you come off as a douchebag once again. I may of loved Dead Space, but I'm not about to cut you any slack because of it.

So let's see, your main selling point is "oh look, it's 60fps! They're only 30fps," now? While not mentioning the fact how you achieve that, but down rezing the game and jamming it through the frame buffer to upscale it and get your precious fps? You can't even try to sell it on the merits of gameplay elements you think you'll be better at? All this tells me is you are geniuely quaking in your boots that Battlefield 3 poses a real threat.

The mere fact Sledgehammer is having to work on MW3 tells me more than enough information on how things are gonna pan out.

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
zombiekiller1907 said:
wait, isn't 6o fps still kinda slow for a pc? or am i in another room again? is this thread for consoles or pc? because i'm a pc-only gamer. I'm so confused!
The human eye can't see the difference between 60 FPS and 200 FPS. Most monitor's refresh rate is 60. There's no difference between 60 and 500, so no, 60 isn't low at all.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's a weak 'edge' considering Activision has been running their games off a modified Doom 3 engine since...forever. And let's be honest with their yearly releases they're not going to ever make a new engine and they're gonna burn it out like Guitar Hero.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Fronzel said:
So it's just a bunch of techno-wanking, then?

The_root_of_all_evil said:
TimeLord said:
I was thinking of Hz not fps. Silly me.
Bet that mistake hertz.
Why has such a pun culture grown up here?

Not that I haven't done some of that myself.
Because clearly the Escapist is the most intellectual site around and such riff-raff shouldn't be allowed, eh wot wot. (This is towards some of the people that actually go aggressive against such puns, not the person quoted)
On topic, I pretty much agree with what Root and Hazabaza have said.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
hmmm...

Pro gamers for any game always strive for 60 fps for that competitive edge. There aren't any exceptions.

In Starcraft, CSS, and many more games, they turn their graphics down for the smoothest gameplay for that competitive edge, so I'm not sure exactly why everyone's opposing this view, if not just out of hate for the CoD series.

Not that I actually like CoD that much, but I'm just being honest.

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
"You can go out and name your engine and call it whatever you want, right. You know, I've done that before; I've seen that trick and the bottom line is, [Modern Warfare 3] will run at 60 frames a second. Not sure any of our competitors will."

BF3 Beta runs at 60fps for me, so that pretty much invalidates their whole sales pitch for me at least.

Brynar

Mar 14, 2010
Willsor said:
"You can go out and name your engine and call it whatever you want, right. You know, I've done that before; I've seen that trick and the bottom line is, [Modern Warfare 3] will run at 60 frames a second. Not sure any of our competitors will."

BF3 Beta runs at 60fps for me, so that pretty much invalidates their whole sales pitch for me at least.
Eeeeeeeexactly.

Although I would rather take a CONSTANT fps of 30 than a fluctuation betwen say 35 and 60.