Lightning Strikes Dissidia: Final Fantasy Sequel

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Lightning Strikes Dissidia: Final Fantasy Sequel

A sequel to the PSP's Final Fantasy brawler will add another female contestant to its ranks.

Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy was recently revealed as the sequel to Dissidia: Final Fantasy [http://www.amazon.com/Dissidia-Final-Fantasy-Sony-PSP/dp/B001TD6SN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284477148&sr=8-1], an RPG/fighting game released in August 2009 that featured more than 20 characters from all twelve main games in the Final Fantasy series. Now that there's a thirteenth, Square Enix is adding characters from that game too.

Final Fantasy IV [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284477157&sr=8-1]. Kain is a Dragoon (he uses that wonderful "Jump" command) that became corrupted and worked against Final Fantasy IV's hero Cecil Harvey, until Cecil saved him and brought him back to the good side.

This technically makes two heroes from a single Final Fantasy game included in Duodecim, whereas in the original Dissidia only one hero and one villain per Final Fantasy game were featured. This could mean that Duodecim will feature two or more good and evil characters per game this time, unless Square Enix is counting Kain as a villain, which it really shouldn't.

Duodecim will be shown off at the Tokyo Game Show this week, so maybe we'll see a few more new characters there. An article in Famitsu says that Duodecim will make overall improvements in all of the game's elements in addition to adding new fighters, so if you liked the first one expect to want Duodecim presumably in 2011. The game does have a teaser website [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dissidia_012/], but it only plays music for now.

Source: Andrisang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/13/dissidia_teaser_site/]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
So we can expect Lightning VS Cloud matchups then?

Because... you know... Lightning is supposed to be a female Cloud...?

Sorry, I'll stop now.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Auron from FFX is the only character I can really think of that I would want now who hasn't been confirmed for the sequel :p

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
If i can import my aweseome Cecil into Dissidia 2 (it's much easier to call it that way) then i may try this out.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Like I said in my origonal thread a few days back:

*inhales* SQQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!*passes out*

Korten12 said:
might get this one, didn't get the first.
Get it...NOW, shame on you for not getting it originally :p One of the best games the PSP has ever had.

All the old characters have pretty much been confirmed to be returning and new stages, characters, and BGMs will be shown. I really hope when they mentioned "improved communication system" they mean ONLINE PLAY; because that would be fucking epic.

Right now I'm just curious to find out what that new gameplay mechanic (the cells filling up in orange) shown in the screenshot will be used for.

I hope we get demo footage from TGS appearing soon, I wanna see some Lightning and Kain kicking ass.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
-Seraph- said:
Like I said in my origonal thread a few days back:

*inhales* SQQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!*passes out*

Korten12 said:
might get this one, didn't get the first.
Get it...NOW, shame on you for not getting it originally :p One of the best games the PSP has ever had.

All the old characters have pretty much been confirmed to be returning and new stages, characters, and BGMs will be shown. I really hope when they mentioned "improved communication system" they mean ONLINE PLAY; because that would be fucking epic.

Right now I'm just curious to find out what that new gameplay mechanic (the cells filling up in orange) shown in the screenshot will be used for.

I hope we get demo footage from TGS appearing soon, I wanna see some Lightning and Kain kicking ass.
I'll just get 2 since it looks to be an improved version with more features. :)

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Didn't care for the first one, kinda sucked ass so not gonna get the second one, I still hope they would put Auron into it though

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
They might as well go all-in and throw in every character from every Final Fantasy game ever.

Seriously, now there's a million ways to kill Tidus instead of just Sephiroth. Seriously, have Locke steal his dignity, or maybe have him be annoyed to death by Selphie. But my favorite means of killing Tidus, Death By Vivi, will exist! Listen to my ideas, Square Enix! They will make you suck less!

Vivi not being in Dissidia angers Vivi! And when Vivi gets angry...people DIE!!

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Korten12 said:
I'll just get 2 since it looks to be an improved version with more features. :)
Mark my words, if it has online play then be prepared to face the wrath of my Golbez. He will make short work of anyone who opposes him :p I'm awfully tempted to import the game when it comes out isntead of wait another 8 months, but then again if the first game is any indication, the English version will be a more balanced, feature rich final mix type game. They did it with the first one when they released Dissidia: Universal Tuning in Japan a few months after the english game came out. It was pretty much just the english game re released in japan.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
for the love of god, add Zemus. he was the real villain of FF4.

and make Exdeath more awesome than he already is.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Christemo said:

Zemus wasn't as interesting as Golbez, and Golbez was a more prominent bad guy...even if he wasn't the REAL bad guy. And so help me god if they take him out. Besides, their choice in villains was based on the relationship they shared with the heroes, hence why we got jecht instead of seymour or Sin....because a giant whale monster would just be awkward.

And I don't believe you can make EX-Death any more awesome without breaking the game XD

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
-Seraph- said:
Christemo said:

Zemus wasn't as interesting as Golbez, and Golbez was a more prominent bad guy...even if he wasn't the REAL bad guy. And so help me god if they take him out. Besides, their choice in villains was based on the relationship they shared with the heroes, hence why we got jecht instead of seymour or Sin....because a giant whale monster would just be awkward.

And I don't believe you can make EX-Death any more awesome without breaking the game XD
how about instead of making Exdeath more awesome, we add Neo Exdeath :eek:

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
The first one was my 2009 game of the year. I would love to see Barret as he would add an interesting mix into the game as he is a gunner, and there were no guns in the first. Same goes for adding in Irvine maybe. The thing the first one lacked though was variety of decent characters, fan favourites were put in and that seemed to harm the game. Squall falls into this, as he was one of the weakest heroes. While Golbez and Exdeath were not exactly brilliant Villains.

I am going to assume this one will go from one to 14? If so, I petition now to keep Vaan the fuck away from this game. Basch would be the best hero from 12 to fight alongside Gabranth.

Ultros as a villain would be pretty comical to add in too, I might add.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
icyneesan said:
Auron from FFX is the only character I can really think of that I would want now who hasn't been confirmed for the sequel :p
how about Vanille, so she can beat so hard, you become more retarded than she is.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Christemo said:
-Seraph- said:
Christemo said:

how about instead of making Exdeath more awesome, we add Neo Exdeath :eek:
....That's what his EX form essentially was. Unless you mean the mass of monstrosities that you fight at the end of 5, but that would be too awkward to pull off. There's a reason they went with a more particle design, it was the same case with Sephiroth and Ultimecia.

The only thing they need to do to the game to make me satisfied is either add online play, tag team type game mode, or both. Having a MvC style game type would be AWESOME.

Kinichie said:
The thing the first one lacked though was variety of decent characters, fan favourites were put in and that seemed to harm the game. Squall falls into this, as he was one of the weakest heroes. While Golbez and Exdeath were not exactly brilliant Villains.
The first game had a great cast of characters, 22 isn't enough variety!? think it was better to do main heroes and villains first instead of just chucking in any random character, and they seem to be choosing the more important bunch of the series.

Did you just call the BP rape fest that was Squall weak? Oh sure his HP game sucked if you didn't know how to properly combo, but he made up for it with his frightening BP game. And pray tell, what was wrong with Golbez and EXdeath? They were great bad guys and two of the bst fighters too...well especially in terms of meta-game.

I'm just curious....and I do have a soft spot for those two as I main them so i don't like hearing anyone downplay them XD.