Incredible Animation: Videogame Characters Battle to Remain 2D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Incredible Animation: Videogame Characters Battle to Remain 2D

Only skip watching this animated video showing the secret battle over 2D and 3D if you hate things that are incredibly awesome.

There are times when something comes along that is so awesome, you can't believe it actually exists. This is one of those times. 8BITS, an animated video by a team of apparent geniuses [http://www.8bitsmovie.com/], doesn't explicitly feature any specific videogame characters, but it does feature reference after reference after reference and an amazing amount of style.

8BITS is the tale of a battle between 2D and 3D. The video's big boss wants games to go 3D, and has captured the female videogame god that once kept the digital world in two dimensions. Just when he's about to kill her off, a scruffy character (wearing the boxers from Ghosts 'n Goblins no less) shows up to save 2D.

Once the girl is freed, she downgrades the action to 2D again, and the video continues on by jumping back and forth throughout. As for videogame references, I noticed nods to games such as Mortal Kombat, Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Contra, Legend of Zelda (look at the girl's forehead), Pong, and more.

The video ends with an epic boss battle, complete with epic boss battle music, and has a Ferrari-ride ending straight from a videogame I can't remember at the moment. I hope someone puts a coin in me when I'm dying someday too. That'll work, right?

Source: 8BITS Website [http://www.8bitsmovie.com/]

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
Pretty awesome overall, but a little too frenetic at a few points for me.

I may be wrong, but is the Ferrari from OutRun?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
that was possibly one of the single greatest things i've ever seen. That reminds me alot of scott pilgrim. It was just EPIC!!

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
That was cool. I just don't like how they were saying that 3D gaming is bad. They are both great. It just seems like it was made from the point of view of a nostalgic fanboy.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
I don't understand what it was about the guy in the underwear and the girl with symbols on her face... oh well. Awesome anyways!

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
TLatshaw said:
Pretty awesome overall, but a little too frenetic at a few points for me.

I may be wrong, but is the Ferrari from OutRun?
You may be right! It was Outrun. it also had a Super Mario Bros. reference and a Bowser/King Koopa one too. I really liked how the "Boss" kept trying to go 3-D 3d.the weaker the Game Goddess got.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Holy crap, that was pretty freaking incredible. Nice, slick, cute. I don't normally gush over things, but wow.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
That was too awesome. Sadly, I could see this being a "9" kind of movie if the right people are looking at it (Or maybe I should say "Wrong People").

Otherwise, it was pretty awesome to me. I shed a man tear at the "Continue?" shot.

It looks visually like Fairytale Fights [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairytale_Fights], so another influence perhaps.

It was fun, with an ingenious idea tacked onto it, and I think the commentary is not on 3-D gaming, but on 3-D , in which case, I can agree. If you look at the villain, you see he starts to have a red/cyan aura around him when he transitions to 3D.

(Research: Anaglyph, that's that Red/Cyan Thing I was talking about.}