Designer: Don't Worry About Used Sales, Just Make Good Games

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Designer: Don't Worry About Used Sales, Just Make Good Games

The lead designer of F1 2010 [http://www.amazon.com/F1-2010-Playstation-3/dp/B003UT9XI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285353164&sr=8-1] says that designers shouldn't bother attacking the sales of used games.

Stuart Hood, design lead on the newly released racing sim F1 2010, told CVG that instead of focusing on reducing the market for used games through gimmicks like EA's Project Ten Dollar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/project+ten+dollar], game designers should focus on making great games that consumers don't want to trade in the first place.

"People who didn't plug into the hype or didn't follow what was going on, when they are looking for the game and they find a pre-owned one, they'll probably go for the pre-owned," Hood said. "Let's face it, we're not making any money from that."

The sales of used games are a problem for gamemakers, because all of that revenue goes to the retail outlet instead of the people who actually made the game. Hood points out that is because used games are priced cheaper, but that it's up to the designers to make a game worth playing.

"I don't think it's enough for developers to go round whinging about cutting that market up because you get rid of a game when you're tired of it or you want to move on to something else," said Hood (I imagine in an English accent). "So first and foremost, it should be our attempt to get the game more entertaining over the long-term."

So Hood's idea to reduce the used game market is to make great games that people would never want to part with at all. Sounds great in theory, but isn't that what all game designers have been doing since the industry began? I'm not sure that this is some big new revelation, or if focusing on making good games isn't what most developers already do.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266280?]

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
oh shit, someone in the industry has common scense to hold off on releaseing a shit game and working on it some more to make it good.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It may be a known fact, but sometimes known facts need to be harped upon anyway because people lose sight of them. And I, for one, am in complete agreement with Stuart Hood, English accent or no.

I know I've rung this particular bell plenty of times in the past, but I'll go ahead and ring it again. Do you want your game to last well beyond the "flash in the pan" lifespan so many other games run into? Release Mod tools for your game's community. People are still releasing Fan Missions for the first two Thief games (released 12 and 10 years ago, respectively) and Mods for Half-Life 1 (also released 12 years ago) and Morrowind (8 years ago). And gamers are still buying these games via digitial distribution channels, which equals PROFIT. (Just ask Valve how many older and independent games I've bought on Steam.)

It's a fact: Even the most awesome, innovative game will eventually become played-out and boring. But if you allow the game's community to mix things up, it can stay fresh for years beyond what you might have expected.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
strum4h said:
Well then. Someone in the gaming industry has a good idea.
Oh. My. God. The apocalypse is coming! Run!
Well valve has been sticking to that idea for a while. I think the apocalypse will be when Ubisoft releases games for free. Then we will see the fire and brimstone falling from the sky.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
making games more long term? isnt that called multiplayer?

(or if your older, splitscreen?)

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Amen.

Let this sort itself out. I'm sure it will.

Calumon: Jack bought a game used, should we do something?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nicely said! I love the games I have, and, I usually keep what I get myself anyway =D

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
epic games never get traded in here, all my mgs, all my gta games, batman AA, deus ex, dungeon keeper, etc.

but yea some people will trade in games just because maybe they need quick cash for that new game. maybe they never replay anything. game makers if they lowered the retail price of their games would go a long way to solving the resale market.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
strum4h said:
Not possible! I must be dreaming or have been injected with some weird drugs!

In seriousness, I want all developers to listen to him.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
strum4h said:
Assassin Xaero said:
strum4h said:
Oh. My. God. The apocalypse is coming! Run!
Well valve has been sticking to that idea for a while. I think the apocalypse will be when Ubisoft releases games for free. Then we will see the fire and brimstone falling from the sky.
That or Duke Nukem Forever actually coming out...

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
This seems like a case of stating the obvious....but apparently it needs to be said!

Sometimes, games are so freakin' good you might buy it new. Twice. It happens. I love Fallout 3, and bought it new for the 360. When I got my new super PC earlier this year, I went out and bought the GOTY edition for it and am now on my third run through of that game.

There are plenty of games that I see and go, "Meh, I'll buy that when it is either used or discounted." Those are not games that would entice meto pay $60 if they were unavailable used or discounted....I simply wouldn't get them to begin with.

For every 360 release* or Steam game I pick up for new price, there are 10 that I might snag simply out of curiosity if I find them ultra cheap used or on a Steam sale. They are almost never games that I later think, "Gosh I'd have paid $60 for that."

If publishers want to compete with the used market, it's very, very easy: make games worth the asking price (as this guy says) or make them competitively priced with the used market.

*Until last week when my 360 died. 4th RROD event in a year and a half. I am done with Xbox now. I don't care if I can't finish Reach, I can't take the failure rate anymore!!!! /rant

DenSomKastade

May 12, 2010
Sounds like someone on the other side of this mess actually have brains. Does car companies worry about used cars? No! And game companies shouldn't either!

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Well, I disagree with him. Mainly because there are quite a few people who only play games for the single player, and there are good games that only have a single player mode. For the most part, games that aren't huge RPGs like Fallout 3 or Oblivion with only a single player will only last so long before it gets dull. The same thing can be said for those who buy games just for the single player, such as myself.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that things will always be traded in, no matter how good they are. Yes, it might not be right away, but one will eventually get bored with the single and/or multiplayer and prefer to just have the cash that selling it gives.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
So Hood's idea to reduce the used game market is to make great games that people would never want to part with at all. Sounds great in theory, but isn't that what all game designers have been doing since the industry began? I'm not sure that this is some big new revelation, or if focusing on making good games isn't what most developers already do.
Do you get to play a lot of games?
There are very few that are actually worth $60.
I find it very hard to believe that devs are trying to make a AAA title every time. Most of the games out there are quite obviously shovelware that they were able to quickly throw together.