Designer: Don't Worry About Used Sales, Just Make Good Games

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
oppp7 said:
What I don't get is the fact that used games have been going on for... how many years now? And suddenly they're a huge problem.

Good to see someone's trying to make better games.
Well, the problem isn't so much used game sales, it's that gaming has, more or less, broken into the mainstream market. Now we have people who may not know as much about the industry going to stores like Gamestop to buy the games they see advertised on TV. They see two prices, they see the new game at $60, and the used at $50. You could bet money that they'd take the used game every time. It was never much of a problem before now because not quite as many people played games, so they weren't losing as many potential customers to used sales. Now that gaming has essentially become mainstream, while their bottom line might not be getting hurt by the used market, there is still a lot of potential sales they are missing out on, and they just simply want that money in their pockets instead of Gamestop's.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
So Hood's idea to reduce the used game market is to make great games that people would never want to part with at all. Sounds great in theory, but isn't that what all game designers have been doing since the industry began? I'm not sure that this is some big new revelation, or if focusing on making good games isn't what most developers already do.
I...I didn't know you were that naive Greg. It's okay, though, the world may seem like a scary place once you learn the truth, but take heart because you know you'll never see the worst of it.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
I know I've rung this particular bell plenty of times in the past, but I'll go ahead and ring it again. Do you want your game to last well beyond the "flash in the pan" lifespan so many other games run into? Release Mod tools for your game's community. People are still releasing Fan Missions for the first two Thief games (released 12 and 10 years ago, respectively) and Mods for Half-Life 1 (also released 12 years ago) and Morrowind (8 years ago). And gamers are still buying these games via digitial distribution channels, which equals PROFIT. (Just ask Valve how many older and independent games I've bought on Steam.)
Lol, mods. Hey that's great, for PC games. Oh snap! PC games don't have a used market. And you can forget about console mods. Then publishers couldn't sell their precious DLC, because nobody would buy what they could make in a week by fiddling around with some mod tools. Of course, you could make the mod tools less powerful (simple level editors like Halo's Forge and Little Big Planet's core), but then they're not really mod tools, and don't create as much replayability.

Autofaux said:
In an effort to make a return against the losses caused by GameStop and its used game empire, Project Ten Dollar is becoming more popular. Quality is next to irrelevant with GameStop's price gouging now ingrained into how the industry operates, and I believe more independent developers should adopt Project Ten Dollar. Publishers take it on the chin, but independent developers that also publish their own games stand to lose a lot of money because of the used games market.

Let's combat social engineering with a flimsy solution. Sounds like something my government would come up with.
The problem here is not used sales, which is what PTD is targeting, the problem is that GS has a monopoly. No matter what you're doing, you don't screw the customers. Used sales got you down? Suck it up and play your cards conservatively, or you go bold and get competitive (like Take Two games) carving out a chunk of the used market for yourself. This creates competition, which forces innovation, and is better for the consumer. The Invisible Hand strikes again.

psrdirector said:
I find it funny that gamers side with gamestop over the game developers and publishers.
I would side with my local Gamestop over a publisher any day.

The Journey

Jul 12, 2010
vanthebaron said:
oh shit, someone in the industry has common scense to hold off on releaseing a shit game and working on it some more to make it good.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. Thank god for this guy, though I wish it wasn't an F1 racing game he was the designer of. I don't like them. Oh well, you take what you can get I suppose!

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
It's amazing how many problems with the gaming industry can be solved with "Suck less".
Haha, sounds like a solid company mission statement.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, because making games are really easy.
His comments are idiotic, especially for someone working in the damn industry.
People will still buy games owned no matter what, sooner or later someone is going to sale that game no matter how good it is. Hell MGS4, Halo 3, God of War 3, Killzone 2, and even Mario games all get traded in sooner or later.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
psrdirector said:
Mysnomer said:
psrdirector said:
I find it funny that gamers side with gamestop over the game developers and publishers.
I would side with my local Gamestop over a publisher any day.
because they dont provide anything to you, they are just a iddle man to jack up the prices of video games and produce nothing and provide nothing?
Yes, because friendliness and excellent customer service don't count for anything, amirite? I have only ever been screwed by Gamestop once, and the guy who did it was a newbie and I trashed him in the survey, so it's all good. Every other time it's been smooth sailing. They're great people who are willing to help me scour the shelves and bins for that rare gem I'm looking for, they never try to sell me BS extras like I'm some rube, and they even tried to work the system so I could get a game that was only available at a GS two counties over (they seriously fought tooth & nail, but the other store's manager was a stubborn jerk).

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Sounds great in theory, but isn't that what all game designers have been doing since the industry began? I'm not sure that this is some big new revelation, or if focusing on making good games isn't what most developers already do.
Wow, I'm baffled by the stupidity of this statement! (O_O)
No Greg, you see, only a small fraction of game developers do that, everyone else puts out 200 units of mass produced garbage for one good game.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
strum4h said:
Well then. Someone in the gaming industry has a good idea.
Shit. WHERE'S MY GODDAMN TOTEM?!

On topic: Aren't game companies supposed to make great games anyway? Isn't that how they get rich?

Hang on. Is Dynasty Warriors still going?

In that case, that's definitelty advice that game companies should take.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
psrdirector said:
Gamestop never gave us DRM that "phones home" every time you start the game. Publishers and Devs on the other hand...well, 'nuff said.

Also Gamestop is a godsend to broke college students. Yes I actually like the used game market, maybe it's because I haven't had a bad experience at any Gamestop stores yet. That and they don't treat me like a criminal, which is more than I can say for some developers and publishers.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
psrdirector said:
AceDiamond said:
psrdirector said:
Gamestop never gave us DRM that "phones home" every time you start the game. Publishers and Devs on the other hand...well, 'nuff said.

Also Gamestop is a godsend to broke college students. Yes I actually like the used game market, maybe it's because I haven't had a bad experience at any Gamestop stores yet. That and they don't treat me like a criminal, which is more than I can say for some developers and publishers.
game stop also never gave us video games, hours of entertainment hte joy of the gaming industry, they took our money and gave us things deveoped and funded by that much hated gaming industry
Gamestop sponsored the Independent Games Developer Contest; your argument is invalid.

Also how dare a retail store take my money in exchange for a good. Not like that's the whole fucking point of a store or anything. In any event your arguments are silly because they're based around the binary concept that the industry and/or gamestop is either entirely good or entirely bad, rather than the obvious shades of grey that both are.