Ubisoft Wants to Dominate Kinect

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ubisoft Wants to Dominate Kinect

Ubisoft's North American boss Laurent Detoc sees big things in the future for Kinect, saying it will be a "must-have" brand, like the iPad.

Speaking at an event in San Francisco that focused solely on Ubisoft's Kinect games, Detoc said that the publisher wanted to be the biggest third-party publisher for the device, and thought that Kinect would lower the barrier for entry into playing videogames, much like Nintendo's DS and Wii before it.

Detoc thought that Ubisoft had taken the right approach with Kinect, making dozens of prototypes, but just focusing in on a handful of games to bring to market. He believed that the publisher was in a good position to take the number one spot, because it had recognized Kinect's potential straight away, and had solid technology backing it up.

Ubisoft is working on five Kinect titles, three of which will be launch titles. Detoc said that Ubisoft had no worries about supporting Kinect so strongly, saying that consumers would consider it a "cool" device and that "must have" quality, plus the amount of money Microsoft was spending on promotion, would drive Xbox 360 and Kinect sales. He didn't think that the $150 price tag was going to be too much of a problem either, because he felt that Kinect actually represented great value for money.

Ubisoft won't have bet the proverbial farm on Kinect, but it sounds like it's sunk enough resources into it that it's going to sting if it's a flop. Still, Microsoft is predicting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103519-Microsoft-Predicts-3-Million-Kinect-Sales-Over-the-Holidays] sales of around 3 million over the holidays, and if it's right, Ubisoft is going to be well positioned to take advantage of a brand new audience for the 360.

Kinect launches in North America on November 4th, in Europe on November 10th, and in Australia on November 18th.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30815/Ubisofts_Big_Strategies_Dominate_Kinect_Develop_Fewer_Games_Says_Detoc.php]

Jul 22, 2009
The iPad is a must have?

News to me...

Anyway Ubisoft often make amazing games... so if they want to back Kinect I say let them.

They may produce some shovelware but hopefully they'll apply themselves to some games and really show off Kinects power.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
If this thing is a "must-have" in the same way that the iPad is, then count me even further out.
If this is where the industry is headed, count me out! Out of service, out of Escapist, I wouldn't hang about!

GamesB2 said:
They may produce some shovelware but hopefully they'll apply themselves to some games and really show off Kinects power.
What is Kinect's power? I really don't see why people are so excited about it. As technology, sure, it's cool. As gaming technology it's a very flawed idea. I don't like the idea of developers putting more effort into Kinect games than they would into proper games, because I'm sure as hell never getting one of these.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
iPad is a must-have? WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME THAT?!

Oh, right, because it's completely untrue in every way.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
If I wanted to spend money on gimmicky games so that I could flail around in my room instead of using a regular controller, I'd buy a Wii. Which would probably cost less, already has a decent sized stable of games and isn't an overpriced webcam. Ubisoft should stick to making games for a platform that is going to last rather than split their resources.

Jul 22, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
What is Kinect's power? I really don't see why people are so excited about it. As technology, sure, it's cool. As gaming technology it's a very flawed idea. I don't like the idea of developers putting more effort into Kinect games than they would into proper games, because I'm sure as hell never getting one of these.
Just look at Milo... that illustrates one aspect of Kinects power. Being able to recognise voice and scan objects in the room. Being able to create one of the most powerful AIs to date.

But of course that's all Peter Molyneux and his teams work.

Ubisoft have made games in the past like Endwar and they recently released R.U.S.E.

Both are great ideas, which all have drawbacks on a console. But what if Ubisoft really tasked their team to this, so you could control all your units by moving your hands in front of the Kinect sensor while ordering them using your voice.

I actually think Ubisoft is perfect for this because they have tried to implement console RTS a lot... with varying degrees of success held against Halo Wars... depending on how you view those games.

Kinect from a technical standpoint is an amazing piece of tech, and I agree that it is vitally flawed for general gaming. However there are ways to work around this and I think Ubisoft would be a great industry leader.

I could ramble on for ages but I have a Japanese class to attend... so I need to end this now.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
oh bro, you gave me a good laugh, Detoc

now, seriously bro, Kinect?

come on, how much did Micro$oft paid you?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
If this thing is a "must-have" in the same way that the iPad is, then count me even further out.
If this is where the industry is headed, count me out! Out of service, out of Escapist, I wouldn't hang about!
Umm... sorry. I disagree with your views about Kinect (though I agree we've not yet seen any particular killer applications of the tech) because I believe it could still change the way we play games...

BUT: I have to give you mad props for a stunning Lion King reference. It made my day at least 300% better. Thanks! :)

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Well it only takes a few really good games to shift tons of this stuff (I'm fairly sure that the vast majority of Wii sales were due to Wii Sports (Tennis/Bowling mainly)), if they focus right then I could see it happening. It's going to be interesting anyway.

Oh and lol @ the elitism in this thread. "Lowly casual gamers? Pah! Begone from my fine forum! I've played CoD, dontchaknow!"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Seriously Ubisoft, you've got maybe 10 months left of shelf-life before you get bought out and dumped.
If they manage to churn out AssCreed 3 in good time they might get a life-saving injection which would keep them on their feet for a bit longer.

GamesB2 said:
I actually think Ubisoft is perfect for this because they have tried to implement console RTS a lot... with varying degrees of success held against Halo Wars... depending on how you view those games.
While Kinect does offer the "next-gen" in possible console RTS games, it's still not good enough. There's not going to be any feedback from flailing in the air, it'll be far more imprecise than a mouse cursor and the lack of any keyboard shortcuts will handicap it to begin with.

Ubisoft's Endwar did not impress me from a technical standpoint. Their one major attraction ("play it with your voice") didn't work for me and consistently and regularly got orders wrong. Halo Wars was Fisher-Price's "My First RTS" and I have no reason to believe Kinect will offer anything really better.

I might be wrong, but as it stands, I believe that the DS with its touch screen is a better RTS platform than Kinect is. If I'm proven wrong, then eh, I'll have been proven wrong.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
I would pay good money to see a 1on1 match in any RTS between a guy that's really good with mouse&keyboard(read: approx. 35 to 40 keybinds) and a guy who totally owns kinect&voice control.

/runs off to buy the fucking iPad since it seems to be a must have >_>

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
VulakAerr said:
Umm... sorry. I disagree with your views about Kinect (though I agree we've not yet seen any particular killer applications of the tech) because I believe it could still change the way we play games...

BUT: I have to give you mad props for a stunning Lion King reference. It made my day at least 300% better. Thanks! :)
Good to see that somebody got it! It's what I'm here for: brightening up people's days with Disney references and being terribly racist towards Albanians. Damn them, with their ways and their love of Norman Wisdom...

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Haha, as soon as I read that Kinect will be a "muts-have" as much as the iPad, I realized the Ubisoft guy was a very clever troll and so I read the rest of the article in the sarcastic way it was obviously meant to be taken :)

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Oh Ubisoft, you crack me up with your shenanigans.

Since when has the iPad been the "must have" item? Its just 4 iPod touches superglued together; and it doesnt even fit in my pocket.

I do like a majority of Ubisofts games though, so them getting behind Kinect is nothing but good news; it breaths SOME light of hope into the technology.

They better make some titles worth it though; Garden of Eden looks fun but not $150 worth of fun. They need to make titles that can make the consumer justify that $150 price tag.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Just look at Milo...
I'd rather not, that little fuck is creepy. Soulless beast that he is...

GamesB2 said:
that illustrates one aspect of Kinects power. Being able to recognise voice and scan objects in the room. Being able to create one of the most powerful AIs to date.
Remember that this is how it is being marketed. By Molyneux, no less, he of the oh-so-trustworthy hype.

GamesB2 said:
Both are great ideas, which all have drawbacks on a console. But what if Ubisoft really tasked their team to this, so you could control all your units by moving your hands in front of the Kinect sensor while ordering them using your voice.
Honestly? It'd piss me off. Let's assume for one moment that they've worked out every possible noise or motion issue with regards to instructing your troops - barking dogs, ringing phones, people walking between you and the sensor, the voice recognition misunderstanding an order or the motion system misinterpreting your hand movements etc - it still isn't going to be as precise as a mouse-and-keyboard setup. I doubt it'll be as easy to sustain either, as it'll involve more movement and talking and generally just be more wearying.

GamesB2 said:
Kinect from a technical standpoint is an amazing piece of tech, and I agree that it is vitally flawed for general gaming. However there are ways to work around this and I think Ubisoft would be a great industry leader.
The Wii is an amazing piece of tech, and is flawed for general gaming. This is fine, because it's found a niche market and aggressively exploited it, and made fucktons of money doing so. My problem with Kinect is that from what I've seen, developers are trying to fit it around general gaming and make it a part of more than just casual games. This is what turns me off. I don't want to have to buy a very expensive and annoying system just to get the full game experience.

GamesB2 said:
I could ramble on for ages but I have a Japanese class to attend... so I need to end this now.
Domo arigato, Mr Roboto. Never having taken a Japanese class in my life I have no idea what that means, but in this context I'm using it as "later, dude" :p

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
The only time I gave a flip about iPad was when the Blendtec guy got a hold of one.

Will it blend? It sure as hell did! That little retard TV had it coming, too.

I wonder if he'll blend a Kinect...

I need to go update my youtube subs.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
But who here has an iPad? Seeing how it's a must have, I'm sure I'll get more people quoting me saying that they proudly have one versus those who quote me saying Ubisoft made an error here.

RIGHT?