Mine all Minecraft

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Mine all Minecraft

As it turns out, Shamus Young does like something ... Minecraft.

Read Full Article

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
HUZZAH! Minecraft is awesome!
Thank you, Shamus, for joining in our love of little blocks and exploding creepers.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Delusibeta said:
PS, your "free demo" link seems to lead to your article about Kotick.
Aye, link the demo please, not that silly jibber jabber again. I'm now genuinely intrigued by the game that you've described it as such, having ignored the previous hype because well...I don't like hype unless it's reasoned like so. :)

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Kinda funny actually, I was the first guy to buy the game at my school. Played it a couple of times at the dorm, two guys went into my room, got hoocked and then 2 days later pretty much everyone at my school bought the damn game. Happy to have made my contribute.

It's crazy how fast it spreads.

Anyhow, it's only a matter of time before someone uses my dungeon keeper solution to builds MineCraft inside of StarCraft II using the galaxy editor. Man, then we'd be 2/3 of the way!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Minecraft?

It feels like a timesink to me, honestly.

I just don't get the appeal, I've got too many other games to play.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
@Onyx:

It is a timesink.
A glorious, glorious timesink where you can build an 8-digit calculator in the side of a cliff if you want.

Therein lies the fun of it. The appeal, to me, iALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well I tried the demo a little while ago... didn't interest me too much. However, I completely agree with the article. I think something like this could really shake those big devs up. A tiny game, simple graphics, with an original idea (or at least taking a current idea to the extreme) and it's making massive amounts of cash. Maybe we can get back to great gameplay experiences and away from ANOTHER CoD or HALO GAME.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
And the first three expansions for Craft of Craftcraft: Crafting Crusade, Craft of the Craft King, and Craftaclysm.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
For those who share the addiction, there's an Escapist server set up for Minecraft:

minecraft.escapistmagazine.com

/digdigdig

EDIT: For clarity, the url above is for in-game use - you enter it in the Minecraft client when you want to use the multiplayer option.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
zipzod said:
CaptainCrunch said:
For those who share the addiction, there's an Escapist server set up for Minecraft:

/digdigdig
What is this nonsense?
If you like Minecraft, you can play with other Escapists, and maybe even see staff in there when they aren't at work?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Right about now I'm pretty sure that Persson will be literally wiping his arse and taking baths in money. I mean according to this very site it's making $350,000 a day, all going to one man, and not a company.

I mean, I love the game, but, my God, he's going to have his own Playboy mansion soon. What, with all the Youtube people, the TF2 blog and the Escapist giving him free advertising.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
zipzod said:
CaptainCrunch said:

/digdigdig
It's just a fake profile for a game called Shadow Wars. Are you sure you have the right URL?
Yup. The address listed isn't a webpage - it's for in-game.

Install the Minecraft client, start up and choose the multiplayer option. Put the URL in the box, and it will put you in the server. If you're still having problems, PM me.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Can I just ask what differences there are between the free 'classic' version and the proper one? Because I've been hearing about crafting and zombies and improved physics, whereas the free version just seems... dull. Or am I missing something?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
Can I just ask what differences there are between the free 'classic' version and the proper one? Because I've been hearing about crafting and zombies and improved physics, whereas the free version just seems... dull. Or am I missing something?
The free version IS dull. It just hands you everything. In the proper game you have to craft your own tools to do anything, and you need to mine for higher quality materials. Also, there's a day/night cycle (monsters spawn at night), and natural caves full of resources and monsters.