Question of the Day, October 13, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 13, 2010

If you were suddenly imbued with magical superpowers, would you use them for good or evil? Well, according to a study [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104293-Super-Power-Corrupts-Most-People-Would-Be-Villains] conducted by a team at Northwestern University in Chicago, most people would probably use their powers to harm, not help. What would you do?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would hide my powers, not activly use themn. If I was something I could help in, I would, but discreetly

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
I think I would be good, but not so much in the lawful sense, as I have the strong tendency to follow my opinions rather devoutly, be they correct or not. They are usually mostly nice, however.

Apr 28, 2008
I would try to hide them the best I could.

If I revealed my powers, even while disguised, it would just cause an insane arms race. The bad people would try much harder to draw me out and try to get me. Various very, very wealthy individuals would try to take me and try experiments to attempt to either harvest my powers for themselves or to dilute and distribute them to the public for a profit. Maybe both.

Plus when you reveal yourself and help people start expecting you to do it all the time, and end up hating you if you don't show up even just once.

I'd do what good I can when I could, but I would try to stay hidden for the most part. Not much good would come from revealing myself, even if disguised.

However this could just be paranoia talking, but it is definitely something to think about.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Neither. I would become the world most amazing busker. Make of that what you will, but i will make a fortune in small change!

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Jaredin said:
I would hide my powers, not activly use themn. If I was something I could help in, I would, but discreetly
You basically ripped off all of my words from my mind. Good job!

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Oh I would be a vigilante in a heartbeat and then beat offenders til they barely have one if depending one what they're up to but I guess it really depends on what powers I have.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
If I was the Spectre, I would totally do the whole, "The Spectre demands vengeance" and judge people. Then turn their hand to coal, or blind them, or depower them and banish them to another dimension..

Or manifest a pint or two of Stella Artois.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Basically the way I feel about this is, I'd be evil, but only insofar as the people perceive me. IE, I'd basically give the world an enemy they can unite against, for their own good.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Evil, i suppose

I've thought about this before and i'm actually pretty apathic about hurting others so with superpowers i'd probably just do whatever i wanted whenever i wanted... then when people tried to stop me i'd fight back and then get labeled "evil".

Not because i think it's so damn fun to injure others, but because "With great powers comes my ability to not give a damn about others"

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
I think I would try to follow Batman's example and lead a normal(ish) life by day while stopping evildoers nonlethally by night.

Edit: Hmmm...do you think Robin's job is open?

Raddragon

Dec 23, 2008
Last thing i'd want is the government locking me up for study or using me like a dog.
Vigilant justice or Hiding my powers and using them for good whenever possible.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'd be a vigilante. But only when I am able to do something about it. Plus, most times I'd be there, the police would be more than capable of taking care of things. So I'd be hidden until very extreme and rare circumstances. Then I would become an urban legend... oh yeah...

edit: unless it's telekinesis, I'd totally abuse that power...