Treyarch Wants Players to Connect With Black Ops Character

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Treyarch Wants Players to Connect With Black Ops Character

According to the game's director, Call of Duty: Black Ops turns the emotional focus up to eleven.

Treyarch has thrown out the normal FPS hymn sheet for Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288083710&sr=8-1 ]. Gone is the strong and ever-so-silent protagonist, and in his place is someone who possesses relatable traits like, say, a face and a voice. Treyarch is hopeful that this will help draw the player into the story more completely.

The game opens with the "interrogation" of lead character Alex Mason. He's strapped to a chair, and a shadowy figure gives him a few thousand volts of encouragement if he's not forthcoming with his answers. It's a tense scene, and Dave Anthony, Black Ops' director, says that was deliberately designed that way to get the player identifying and empathizing with Mason right away.

The game's levels are actually Mason's memories of past missions, and Anthony says that you will get to see how Mason's relationships with the characters in the game change as he relives his past. "The emotional focus that we've given Mason is more than we've ever done before for a character in a 'Call of Duty' game," Anthony says. "As you go through the story ... You will actually realize how it all comes together."

Early last month, Treyarch announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103274-Activision-Announces-Hollywood-Muscle-for-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops] that David Goyer, the screenwriter that penned the Dark Knight, would consult on the script. Gary Oldman and Ed Harris are voicing characters in the game, and an insider source suggests that lead character Mason is played by Avatar actor Sam Worthington.

Call of Duty: Black Ops comes out for Wii, Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 on November 9th.

Source: Associated Press [http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101025/ap_on_hi_te/us_games_call_of_duty_3] via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/26/treyarch-aims-for-player-connection-with-black-ops-protagonist/]

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
This sounds pretty promising. I hated Modern Warfare 2's disaster of a campaign (especially compared to CoD4's) so it's good to hear they're trying to mix things up a bit and put more effort into the story than past Call of Duties have.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
A speaking protagonist in Call Of Duty?

I am shocked at what those guys are doing to my favorite series, and I am shocked that I completely like all of the announcements they've made despite being a rabid fanboy.

This shall kick so much ass.

Also, his name is Mason? Now that's a very typical action hero name.

EDIT: Mason voiced by Worthington, you say? I like Sam Worthington. Oh, and script consulted by the writer of the fucking Dark Knight?

What are you doing to me, Treyarch?!!!!

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Sounds promising, but I'll actually have to play the game for me to judge. Either that, or Treyarch is pulling a Peter Molyneux on us...

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
If they don't live up to all this hype Treyarch will be in up shit creak without a paddle.

Then again if they do I shall be pleased.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hmm, that picture looks like a young Solid Snake on a mission in the desert....

OT: Mason? Please, I would have called him Nova, the loner hunter type who never uses his real name.

Still, breaking out of the silent protagonist mold is usually never a bad thing.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Wait so it will have a story other than run and shoot people? I mean sure the other ones had stories but not very good ones.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
If Treyarch can prove to me that this isn't just another MW2 in terms of plot and that I will actually enjoy my single player experience, the yes I will buy their game

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Wow each day its just one thing after another with Black Ops.... AWESOME THINGS! I never ended up buying the other COD games (finished camps in netcafe) but I was gonna buy this one. Odds are good I won't be regretting that choice :D

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I dont know bout you guys but i dont really identify myself with someone beeing electricuted..

Also funny how that they now firstly realize that the single player campaing actually needs a story and immersion, instead of the usual: "here is a guy, he shoots people, you must like him!"

tk1989

May 20, 2008
I very rarely find a FPS game which doesnt have a silent protagonist, where you hear their voice and see their face, immersive or very good; i find it very hard to identify myself with the stupid characters they create sometimes. I dont like the camera panning out to show the character, and normally theyre a complete douchebag. I dont like playing a complete douchebag....

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
Corpse XxX said:
"here is a guy, he shoots people, you must like him!"
that made my day,
OT: a few months back I didn't have much fate in black ops, but with every story announcement they give me more hope.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hang on- didn't World at War start with an 'interrogation' too?

Hmm, I dunno- there's a fine line between 'genuinely emotional' and 'really wanting the player to feel emotional' The game as a flashback has worked in the past for endearing the player to a character- just look at the first Mafia. As long as the character isn't a total douche it should be OK.

InterAirplay said:
David Goyer consulting the script?

Gary Oldman, Sam Worthington and Ed Harris starring in it?

Sorry, what?!
Now you mention it- why the hell isn't that the headline for this news!?

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
I'm torn.

My instincts are screaming NO! Bad Taffer, don't buy!, while my curiosity is challenging them with nimble jabs of But you like FPS titles that carry a story and you love good voice acting!

Damn it.

What do I do...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I suppose I shouldn't be dismissive of a title that hasn't even been released yet but... well... I'll believe it when I see it.