Man Killed After Fight Over Cheating in Madden

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Man Killed After Fight Over Cheating in Madden

Four guys were playing Madden together when a fight broke out over cheating and one of them is now dead.

Four men in Planeview, Kansas, outside Wichita, were playing a nice game of EA's football sim Madden NFL 11 on a PS3 when the evening took a very nasty turn. Allegedly, 22-year-old Luke German was severely beaten by his three friends after a fight broke out. It's not clear who was cheating or exactly why they were fighting, but German ended up dead and police have charged his friends with murder. Two men were arrested, and police are currently searching for a third suspect.

After some investigating, the police believe that the fight raged out into the front yard of the house where German was staying. The fighting continued back inside the house and then returned to the front yard before it ended with German face down.

Lt. Ken Landwehr is in charge of the Wichita Police Department's homicide department, and he thinks he knows what caused the altercation. "Somebody was accused of cheating," Landwehr said.

He said that police found German lying in front of a house and, although he had no external injuries, he wasn't breathing. An autopsy revealed that German had "severe internal injuries," which were the result of repeated beatings, perhaps from a blunt instrument like a sledgehammer or pipe.

Two men were arrested on site, as well as a 20-year-old woman who might have helped the third suspect escape. That suspect is the only one named by police, Benjamin Redgate, and he allegedly sped from the scene on a purple, women's mountain bike. Redgate, 22, is still wanted by the Wichita Police Department.

There's nothing fun about cheating, especially when you're playing videogames with your friends. If one of my friends did something that I considered cheating in a game of Mario Kart or FIFA, then we're going to have some words. But the next action that I'm going to take is not to pick up a pipe and beat my friend for cheating. That's just crazy.

Source: The Wichita Eagle [http://www.kansas.com/2010/10/26/1558082/police-video-game-sparked-citys.html#ixzz13U2pE76w]

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
Let it be known...any political person with power should know that this incident did not happen because of videogame violence but for the simple fact... that foot ball is violent...if you want to blame anyone for this blame football!!!

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Great. Just what we need. Like we didn´t have enough trouble. Idiots. Why can´t this happen over an argument over if avatar was a good movie or not?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I bet the blunt object was a controller XD That would just be a prefect cap to a 'gaming kills' story :D

dickseverywhere

Oct 6, 2010
ugh, fucking madden playing meatheads.
i wonder how long before this a 'ban these evil softwares' article goes up from some dumbfuck who doesn't see that people have been beating and killing each other for years over playing cards withouth them being banned.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Kind of misleading for them to put cheating in the title. Blunt instruments like a sledge hammer or pipe? Sure they weren't playing Fallout?

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
The Ambrosian said:
On the day of the California court hearing as well...just great.
Well what, are they going to argue for a R rating for Madden? If that's the case, the cheerleaders better be topless and I better be able to pull Tom Brady's spine out if I sack him hard enough.

OT: Fucking. Idiots. These guys better get a nice life sentence for these actions. Giving a friend a punch for using an overpowered team all the time is one thing, this is just asinine. These people don't deserve any rights at all, and when they tell their story at Leavenworth, I hope Bubba gives them the proper introduction.

Also, how the hell did he cheat in Madden, if that's what the police are claiming? The only cheats I remember for that game are the ones that make players heads tiny, or let you play as the mascots. And I doubt an entire team of Jackson De Ville's was demoralizing enough to achieve total victory.

uvr5672

Nov 24, 2009
It saddens me to hear that someone was killed over something as insignificant as a videogame.
I hope that the people responsible get what they deserve.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
Great. Just what we need. Like we didn´t have enough trouble. Idiots. Why can´t this happen over an argument over if avatar was a good movie or not?
IT WASN'T. RRRRRAAAGHHHHHHH *hits you over the head with brick*

Also, I agree. Bad timing, fuckers.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Luke German? Is that his real name? Man that's a kickass artist's name.

He must have had mad skillz in Madden for his friends to get angry like that or maybe he was really cheating (is that even possible in a local Madden match?).

Or, hey, maybe it was just a gang mentality and normal human anger that led to the beatdown. Anyway, kickass name.

For some reason this reminds me of this:

darkdots

Oct 8, 2010
He illegally downloaded Shawne Merriman and started sacking everyone. They couldn't make a single play. Lights Out!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
What ever happened to "Dude, cut this shit out or I'm fucking leaving?"

When did we resort to murder? What the fuck