Rumor: Zooey Deschanel Cast in New Spider-Man Movie

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Rumor: Zooey Deschanel Cast in New Spider-Man Movie

Zooey Deschanel is the latest name tossed into the swirling whirlpool of Spider-Man casting rumors.

Today, MTV is reporting that Zooey Deschanel (notably Trillian in 2005's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) may be filling the role of Betty Brant in Mark Webb's Spider-man reboot. Elizabeth Banks played the role in the 2002 Spider-Man, bringing the Daily Bugle's Betty to life for a couple minutes; all the same, the character isn't a pivotal one. One might think that casting Betty isn't terribly exciting, but director Webb apparently "has big plans for her."

Webb has spent the week racking up names for his reboot of the Spider-Man franchise. Earlier this week, we heard of the casting of Martin Sheen and Sally Field as Uncle Ben and Aunt May, respectively, and the confirmation that Rhys Ifans will be playing Dr. Curt Connors. We were told that Mary-Jane Watson will not be in the film, no matter who the internet collectively decides to cast for the part. Oh, and in news that will surprise no one, the film is going to be released in 3-D.

While we're staffing up the newsroom, I'd like to see some casting for J. Jonah Jameson. This whole regime change unfortunately means that I won't see more J.K. Simmons in the role; those are some big, shouty shoes to fill. Right now the frontrunners are John Slattery (okay) and Sam Elliott (perhaps not).

Source: MTV Splash Page [http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/11/10/zooey-deschanel-spider-man-cast/]

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
I don't care who they cast. If Sam Raimi isn't directing Spiderman, I'm not watching Spiderman.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
As much I as I can see the reasoning for a complete recast of characters when something like this happens they recast Judi Dench as M after going from Pierce Brosnan's bond to the current Daniel Craig and while on the topic Desmond Llewelyn played Q for something like 36 years with only one exception which covers a whole slew of new Bonds. J.K. Simmons for J. Jonah Jameson in my books would not destroy the movie and if anything could win some good will from fans that dislike the idea of a "reboot" so soon.

p.s. just face it Mr. Webb he kicked ass at the job too.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Damn it! No J.K. Simmons, he owned the role of Jameson.
I just can't imagine anyway yelling "Parker!" as well as he can.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Not too bothered about the Mary Jane thing.
Ever since the third movie and the Spectacular series, Gwen has always seemed like a more appealing character (still can't get over that cancellation).
Anyways, as to JJ, its obvious that the only one to proceed JK is the King of Boomstick himself,

Bruce Campbell...... wait a minute....... DAMN!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Interesting... I didn't know there was going to be a new Spider-Man movie :p

Also, a new person giving us news! Hello! Welcome to The Escapist :D

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
It is kinda sad that the series will be taking out JK Simmons, and as far as I've seen, the roster for this new set isn't too heavily impressive. Won't complain too much, just...meh, so far.

And c'mon...dunno if people loved her, but I loved Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson....

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Ahhh, Deschanel...

Perhaps there is hope for this probably aweful movie.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Right now the frontrunners are John Slattery (okay) and Sam Elliott (perhaps not).
J.K. Simmons was perfect for the part, but I think Sam Elliott could work. The only problem would be keeping his mustache from taking the lead role.

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
For some reason the thought of Brian Blessed as J. Jonah Jameson popped into my head, which amused me for a good few minutes.

Seriously though, another Spiderman movie? Why?

Nov 5, 2007
Wait! Zooey Deschanel AND Emma Stone in that movie.

*faints*

Also not surprised Webb wants to work with her again after (500) Days of Summer.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Cheesebob said:
Anyone else think that she looks like Katey Perry?
You shut your face... please. Zooey is MUCH more talented and has proven it. Despite how much I want to be against this movie, Mr. Webb knows my weak spot. Touch-e sir, touch-e.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
Cheesebob said:
Anyone else think that she looks like Katey Perry?
You shut your face... please. Zooey is MUCH more talented and has proven it. Despite how much I want to be against this movie, Mr. Webb knows my weak spot. Touch-e sir, touch-e.
She may be more talented, but she isn't as attrative