Gears of War Rumored to Be Coming to Kinect

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears of War Rumored to Be Coming to Kinect

Microsoft is reportedly planning to squash the idea that Kinect is just for casual gamers, using big, burly men with chainsaws, no less.

Kinect is flying off shelves, with around a million sold in just ten days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105318-One-Million-Kinects-Sold-in-Just-Ten-Days], but the pickings for hardcore gamers are decidedly slim. But according to insider sources, that's all about to change, as Microsoft apparently plans to announce a Gears of War game for the motion controller within the next few weeks

According to the rumor, Microsoft plans to use the Spike TV Videogame Awards as a platform to announce some new titles - including games for Kinect. Gears of War for Kinect is supposedly the headliner for this line-up. Epic's design director Cliff Bleszinski tweeted [http://twitter.com/#!/therealcliffyb/status/4387793136525312] last night that Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289910450&sr=8-1] wouldn't have Kinect support, so - assuming that the rumors are true - we're either looking at a game distinct from the main series, or possibly a revisit of one of the previous Gears of War games with Kinect support added.

It's hard to know what to make of this rumor. Epic has ignored the Wii, but that seems to be more about the limitations of the console itself, rather than an aversion to motion controls. With the power of the Xbox 360 to play with, Epic may be more than happy to make a motion controlled game. With the majority of the Xbox 360's install base in the hands of core gamers, getting them buying Kinect will be a priority for Microsoft, especially as core gamers tend to buy more software than casual gamers. That's going to be important, as Microsoft will be looking to recoup a significant portion of the hundreds of millions of dollars it spent making and marketing Kinect through software sales.

If Microsoft is baiting the Kinect hook with Gears of War in an effort to get core gamers buying it, it would make sense that it would be a game separate from the others. Giving players the option of using Kinect in Gears 3, for example, would be great for the people who had already bought one, but it's not going to get people buying a $150 motion controller, not when a regular controller would work just as well. On the other hand, a really impressive looking hardcore game, from a series with a lot of traction amongst core gamers, that you can only play with motion controls, might be just the killer app needed to get the core audience interested in Kinect.

We've reached out to Epic for comment, and will update if/when we get a reply.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1134355p1.html]

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Would be interesting if it supported the use of the controller and kinect.

Get into a chainsaw fight? Maybe have the freedom to swing your arms around like a spastic 12 year old to cut them up.

All while fox news looks at it from the outside, and say it teaches 6 year olds how to cut some one up with a chainsaw.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I wonder how you would take cover with Kinect... Needless to say the results would just be fucking hilarious.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
NO.

I do not want or need any reason to be interested in Kinect.

Both the Gears games we have right now are fine; I eagerly anticipate the third one and I do not see how crappy motion controls could possibly "enhance" the Gears experience.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
I wonder how you would take cover with Kinect... Needless to say the results would just be fucking hilarious.
a coffee table...just kick it over when you need a chest high wall....

Theolos88

Sep 7, 2010
Lt. Vinciti said:
buy teh haloz said:
a coffee table...just kick it over when you need a chest high wall....
Yeah and whenever you need a meat shield just grab your younger brother and put a remote to his neck!

Yenni Brusco

Apr 8, 2010
you guys should research a bit better before you post. 8 hours ago Cliff Belszinski tweeted

@therealcliffyb No Kinect in Gears of War 3.
http://twitter.com/#!/therealcliffyb

If he says that....there's your comment...stop rumormongoring

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
An emphatic no from me as well. Kinetic/Move will blow over and be un-important within the next couple of years, no matter how badly Microsoft/Sony try to make us think its the next vital thing we need for our gaming systems.

Trying to spin one of my favourite franchises into the mix isn't going to help either. I still honestly don't see where the fun would be found prancing about your living room. Plus, my room isn't large enough to go swinging my arms around.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I can't afford kinect, nor do I have any interest in it as a viable control mechanism whatsoever. That they might put potentially good games on it strikes me as a bit of a waste. I'm biased, yes, but I hate the very idea of motion controls. I can't imagine anything less immersive than having to flail about in my living room to blast aliens.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Yenni Brusco said:
you guys should research a bit better before you post. 8 hours ago Cliff Belszinski tweeted

Someone didn't read the article. They make mention of the tweet and that it could be a game seperate from the main series.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
As somebody else already posted: Cliffy B already tweeted that this won't be happening. Explicitly. Why don't you check this shit?

(That said, those people saying that Kinect will blow over are horribly short-sighted/delusional. Kinect is an amazing piece of tech and has the ability to be used for many things both inside and outside gaming. It's here to stay. Get over it.)

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Yenni Brusco said:

I think there's more chance of it being a kinect game after Gears 3, chances are it won't be the last gears based game we see.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
VulakAerr said:
As somebody else already posted: Cliffy B already tweeted that this won't be happening. Explicitly. Why don't you check this shit?

(That said, those people saying that Kinect will blow over are horribly short-sighted/delusional. Kinect is an amazing piece of tech and has the ability to be used for many things both inside and outside gaming. It's here to stay. Get over it.)
As somebody else has said, that tweet is mentioned in the article!!

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
NO.

I do not want or need any reason to be interested in Kinect.

Both the Gears games we have right now are fine; I eagerly anticipate the third one and I do not see how crappy motion controls could possibly "enhance" the Gears experience.
same here, although I'm not sure quite what to expect with the third, I need to look into it more

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
As long as they're not ruining Gears of War 3 by shoveling in crappy motion controls, I'm just fine. They can make a spin-off, but don't hurt Gears 3 by doing this.