Gears of War Rumored to Be Coming to Kinect

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Yeah it's gonna have to support the controller along with the kinect. The kinect lacks a pointing device of any kind, so you're not really gonna get that metroid prime experience.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Spike TV Videogame Awards? Never heard of it..

9_6 said:
Also do you even know what you mean when saying "core" gamers and "hardcore" titles?
Cause I don't.
^This

What the hell is hardcore? Some short of new genre?

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
VulakAerr said:
(That said, those people saying that Kinect will blow over are horribly short-sighted/delusional. Kinect is an amazing piece of tech and has the ability to be used for many things both inside and outside gaming. It's here to stay. Get over it.)
Yes, the Wii IS an amazing piece of tech! :D

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Well, I've never bought a gears of war game before in my life. Although I have played on the first one and did enjoy the majority of it, but a game like this being made for the kinect? I, personally, don't see this ending very well at all. Why? Because a game like this needs controllers and I can't see how brining it to the Kinect is going to work.

Either that, or I'm extremely sceptical.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I find it incredible that so many people on what is supposedly a geek-aligned forum neither understand or appreciate the technology and possibilities of this device. We're all gamers or geeks to some extent. Why aren't people excited when something ground-breaking comes to light?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
VulakAerr said:
I find it incredible that so many people on what is supposedly a geek-aligned forum neither understand or appreciate the technology and possibilities of this device. We're all gamers or geeks to some extent. Why aren't people excited when something ground-breaking comes to light?
That was yesterday. Today we're hipsters or salesmen.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
VulakAerr said:
I think you've seen this wrong. People here do, to some extent, appreciate the technology involved in making devices such as the Kinect work. But, a portion of these same people wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I've seen it in action but haven't played it myself so I can't comment directly on if it does work or not but In this case it doesn't matter.

Why should we all be excited when new technology like this become available? motion detection hardware/software has been around since the ps2 (eye toy), and was good for its time. What I'm trying to say is, Motion detection has been done. Yes, not to the degree as the Kinect/Move/wii but it has been done, so there isn't much to get excited out. That's what I believe anyway.

Understanding the technology? Does some one who use a computer need to understand why and how it works right up the how the CPU does what it does? No. So why should you need to state that. Of course some people here aren't going to understand it.

Lets put an example up shall we?

Does an employee at a business need to know how this works in order to send an email:

I didn't think so.

I would just like to finish by stating that everything I have said is my personal opinion on the matter.

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
How on earth is this even going to work?
Will marcus's arms mimic the movement of yours? Will you move by raising your feet up and down, pretending to walk?

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
who cares... thousands will buy it even if nobody here does. Videogame companies could come out with a piece of shit for a controller and people would still use it if it let them play their precious gears...

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
"On the other hand, a really impressive looking hardcore game, from a SERIES WITH A LOT OF TRACTION amongst core gamers, that you can ONLY PLAY WITH MOTION CONTROLS, might be just the killer app needed to get the core audience interested in Kinect."

See, this is what pisses me off about some franchises and marketing ploys.

They make a game that is only compatible with a specific (and very expensive) controller in order to scam* money out of you.

I know that it makes economic sense, but it still irritates me.

*I meant scam in the sense that they used a gimmick in order to make you purchase something.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Bigsmith said:
VulakAerr said:
I think you've seen this wrong. People here do, to some extent, appreciate the technology involved in making devices such as the Kinect work. But, a portion of these same people wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I've seen it in action but haven't played it myself so I can't comment directly on if it does work or not but In this case it doesn't matter.

Why should we all be excited when new technology like this become available? motion detection hardware/software has been around since the ps2 (eye toy), and was good for its time. What I'm trying to say is, Motion detection has been done. Yes, not to the degree as the Kinect/Move/wii but it has been done, so there isn't much to get excited out. That's what I believe anyway.
This is the misunderstanding that I'm talking about. Yes we've had camera-based systems before, yes the Eyetoy might have been fun briefly but Kinect is NOTHING like the Eyetoy save for them both having cameras. Kinect has depth perception, voice recognition, and the software behind it creates the user's skeleton in real-time. All this in your living room for $300-$400.

Edit: Sorry, fucked up the quote tag.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Eh, I doubt it will be all that good. Even if the game ends up being okay gameplay-wise, I doubt that it'll really be that fun to play. I imagine it will be to Gears of War as the Crossbow game was to the Legend of Zelda series.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
hyperdrachen said:
Yeah it's gonna have to support the controller along with the kinect. The kinect lacks a pointing device of any kind, so you're not really gonna get that metroid prime experience.
You could hold out your arm like Samus's arm cannon. Or maybe use a finger pistol.