Black & White's Starter Pokemon Officially Get Named

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Black & White's Starter Pokemon Officially Get Named

The Black & White Pokemon vying for Pikachu's spot in your heart were given their official English names today.

Rejoice, Pokemon fans. Today is the day that you can start referring to the upcoming Pokemon Black & White's starter Pokemon by their official English names, as the Pokemon website has just brought them down from up on high.

Until now, the three starters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100614-These-Are-the-Actual-Pokemon-Black-White-Starters] were referred to by their Japanese names: Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru. Gone is the storm cloud that once obscured these creatures' true names from your sight. Well, I guess technically the Japanese names would actually be their true names, but... the titles released today are the true names to you if you live in a region that sells the English version, okay?

Grass-type Pokemon Tsutarja's new name will be Snivy, fire-type Pokabu's is Tepig, and water-type Mijumaru receives the very Metal Gear-like [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot_%28Metal_Gear%29] name of Oshawatt. Is it wishful thinking to hope that the water-type's evolutions will add "Revolver" and "Liquid" to its name?

The new Pokemon Black & White rest of the bunch [http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/the-starter-pokemon/]. According to the website, we'll get to play with Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawatt in spring 2011. Which will you choose first?

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Personally I say these starters look a bit crap. Bujt hey, the game might be awesome.

And I'm drunk. so who the fuck knows?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Snivy should work. It sounds pretentious enough, at any rate.

EcksTeaSea said:
Seems like with each passing game the starters look worse and worse.
Just once I'd like to see a Pokemon thread where someone didn't talk about how Pokemon was better back when they were a kid.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I like Oshawatt, if only because it evolves into what looks to me to be some sort of badass Sea Unicorn.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
rekabdarb said:
guess we can't call him smugleaf anymore...
It's only eight letters, there's enough room to name him that if you want.

The starters are okay, with Tepig looking the best in my opinion. Still, I knew nothing was going to come close to the flinger of flaming poo that was Chimchar, the coolest starter ever.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I am disappointed. I think the online community has outdone Nintendo in naming their own creations once again.

That being said I'll probably go with Smugleaf.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
But with all the pun-tastic names being suggested for pokabu, I was really hoping for something more entertaining... Tepig? Is that meant to be 'tepid pig'. 'Cos that's bollocks.
No objections to the design of these 'mons (apart from fire-pig's final form), but I dislike the names...

Doubtless 'Snivy' will be nicknamed Smugleaf by everyone? And Tepig will be either 'Teh Pig' or something along the lines of Baykon, Pignition or Emboar?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Tepig sounds crappy compared to some of the speculated names that were thrown around.

I like Oshawatt though, more reason to choose that starter :3 I love my derpy otter.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
Seems like with each passing game the starters look worse and worse.
Remember back in the 90's the Fire-types starters were cool?

I GOT A FREAKING ROAST PIG XD

Glad I stopped liking Pokemon, with all this dissapointment they must start to feel like Sonic Fans.....wait..I'm a sonic fan...*Siiiiiiiiiigh*