Man Fills Super Mario's Shoes Through Kinect Hack

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Man Fills Super Mario's Shoes Through Kinect Hack

A man has done the unthinkable and hacked his Kinect to play Super Mario Bros.

YouTube's "Yankeyan" is back with another Kinect hack that's even better than his last. While he previously showed off that Kinect could be used to wield artificial lightsabers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105506-Programmer-Creates-Kinect-Lightsaber-Hack], now he's crossed first-party barriers and made the Microsoft motion gaming device into a working controller for Super Mario Bros.

As you can see, stepping into the shoes of Mario isn't as fun as we all thought it would be. It's apparently much more enjoyable to control him from afar, but that doesn't make Yankeyan's hack any less cool.

Mario is controlled in the classic NES game through various movements. To make him run, you must run. To make him jump, you must jump. To go down pipes, you must duck. These aren't complicated concepts here. The challenging part appears to be in controlling Mario's running speed and in making him change directions, which looks to require moving to the left or right. The precision needed for a game like Super Mario Bros. just isn't quite there.

Yankeyan later goes on to prove that his hack also works in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3, awesomely enough, and it would technically operate in any other NES game too. It works by translating his motions into the virtual button presses of an NES emulator. He admits: "Mario isn't designed to be played like this, so this is really really hard."

He might be able to get through the early stages of Mario's NES titles, but once enemies like Bullet Bill start showing up, I doubt Kinect would keep him alive. This just goes to show you that the controller will always have its place in the videogame world, no matter how cool the idea of completely losing it might seem. While I would love to try Yankeyan's Kinect hack, I wouldn't want it to be the only control method available.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
I'd like to try it out, but I can imagine how hard it must be.

Ehh still, looks like a laugh. Good on him.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Xzi said:
Here we have definitive proof that motion controls as they are can never be used to provide a high rate of accuracy or responsiveness. I mean, if they can't match Nintendo's controller from the late eighties, what chance do they have of effectively controlling a game in full multi-direction like Gears of War?
Of course, because using motion controls for a game that wasn't designed to be used with motion controls is proof of the overall accuracy or responsiveness of motion controls.

OT: Even if it's not an optimal control scheme, it's still really cool. I kinda want to see someone attempt a speed run with this setup.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
didnt the NES already had a Kinect thing?

the U-Force?

and that actually works? =P

(as in, it's playable)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Looks like a terrible way to control a platform game like Super Mario, movement looks about as painful as using one of those virtual d pads on an iphone/ipod touch.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Xzi said:
It is indeed proof. It's two fucking directions. Not hard. I could literally wire something together for between $10 and $30 which could control Mario far better than Kinect. Microsoft and Sony are moving us backwards, not forwards, and the idiots buying this crap are just feeding into their bad habits.
If you can play a Mario game on the Wii, you can play a Mario game on the Move.

Both have something in common. It starts with a B and ends with an uttons.

The problem with this is purely in the delay. Mario games are based upon memorization and reaction. This requires the game to be based far, far more on memorization than reaction. That's the only reason this doesn't look like it would be fun. The delay. Remove the delay and you'd have a game that's more fun.

Instead of designing it around a controller, design it around the camera.

Until you've played the fighting game in the Sports Champions collection on the PS3, you'll be convinced that a fighting game is best played with buttons. Now I'm not sure.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
Xzi said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Xzi said:
Here we have definitive proof that motion controls as they are can never be used to provide a high rate of accuracy or responsiveness. I mean, if they can't match Nintendo's controller from the late eighties, what chance do they have of effectively controlling a game in full multi-direction like Gears of War?
Of course, because using motion controls for a game that wasn't designed to be used with motion controls is proof of the overall accuracy or responsiveness of motion controls.

OT: Even if it's not an optimal control scheme, it's still really cool. I kinda want to see someone attempt a speed run with this setup.
It is indeed proof. It's two fucking directions. Not hard. I could literally wire something together for between $10 and $30 which could control Mario far better than Kinect. Microsoft and Sony are moving us backwards, not forwards, and the idiots buying this crap are just feeding into their bad habits.
Then do it please.
To be completely honest, it's not really proof the kinect is crap, it's meant to be used in mostly 3d games, and this was a hack made by some guy, not a professional dev team.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
could be a laugh for a bit just as a one off but would hate to have to do the full games like that