That One Part Was Awesome

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
That One Part Was Awesome

Some movies only need one scene to be legendary.

Read Full Article

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
My nomination for one legendary scene: Kick ass: The Hit Girl Rescue

Reasons
1. Nic Cage screaming out instructions while on fire: "Now switch to Kryptoniiiiiiiiite!" is my new battle-cry.

2. The reworking of John Murphy's Surface of the Sun theme. Best of use of it in a film or TV.

3. The combination of said theme in tune to the pulse of Hit Girl's strobe, it hits all the emotional cues needed make a shlub like me go "Oh Hell Yeah!"

4. "I can wait! I solemnly vow to save myself for her." This line is a good dose levity at the end of the scene.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Stargate (the film) is another one. The film was pretty poor, despite the workable concept of wormholes and that if you had advanced civilisation you could be worshipped as a God, etc. The only thing I can actually remember is a pyramid blowing up...

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Looks pretty damn creepy but I feel the majority will dismiss Black Swan as a "girly movie" what with the ballet and all but from the review it shows that it really isnt. I know I shouldnt waver on my decision to see it but I have alot of other movies through December to get through aswell as go through my back log.

What can I say I love movies but I dont have alot of time to see them, I havent been to the cinema since I saw Inception. I need to catch up on The Social Network, Unstoppable, Harry Potter, Machete and I hate to say it: Jackass 3D and The Expendables (Yeah I want to see it, im not letting a disembodied voice on the internet question my tastes in bad action movies).

(I would also like to see London Bolevard and The Tourist.)

Oh and in the spirit of the previous 2 posts Shoot Em Up is also a movie you need to see just because it is what I like to call a specticle movie it is all fun to watch with that one scene that blurs the line between sex and gunplay.

Apr 28, 2008
I suppose I should just say it.

"I'M SICK OF THESE MOTHER-FUCKING SNAKES, ON THIS MOTHER-FUCKING PLANE!

And its TV incarnation: "I'M SICK OF THESE MONKEY-FIGHTING SNAKES, ON THIS MONDAY-TO-FRIDAY PLANE!"

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Ninja Assassin: the opening scene. The rest of the movie is meh, but the opening scene blew me away and then that one girl from Pirates of the Caribean showed up and wore down the movie like the British guy in Faster.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
I was hyped to see Snakes On a Plane but I heard it was s terrible waste of time from everyone that I know that actually saw it. Does the line make watching the rest of the film bearable?

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
tyriless said:
I was hyped to see Snakes On a Plane but I heard it was s terrible waste of time from everyone that I know that actually saw it. Does the line make watching the rest of the film bearable?
It all depends on if you can turn your brain off for 2 hours and just sit back and watch the silliness. It is cheesy right down to the part where
the plane is landed by the guy who sat on his ass and played a videogame.
Samuel L. Jackson does his best and the line will make you smile. I love the guy as an actor, in Shaft without him it would of been horrible he turns it into a great B movie.

I would say watch it, dont let anyone question your watching habits. (Unless you have a popped collar and your favorite movie is Transformers for the sole reason of Megan Fox's ass.)

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I don't know. Probably the conclusion of The Usual Suspects. The annoying thing is I guessed it early on, then dismissed it and then it turned out I was right at the end. Made me jump out of my chair and shout "HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT!!!"

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm a Cyborg But That's Okay.

It's a crazy Korean rom com set in a mental institute, about a girl who thinks she's an android killing machine. Despite some early destressing scenes, the movie was still sorta family friendly, cuddle your girl-freind whilst you watch stuff.

And then this happens. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3uFG3lFg4]

That comes out of nowhere. Did I mention it was by that same director who had a guy eat live octopuses [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy]?

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
Hey, that one part from 2001: A Space Odessey showed up! Which is awesome, given that I'm a sucker for the piece used in that bit (Atmosphéres by Ligeti, if you guys are wondering.). Apparently, though, Ligeti wasn't too happy about Kubrick's use of his music in 2001...

But yeah, cool list.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
tyriless said:
It was a bit of a letdown from the hype. If they had just gone with being a silly movie it might have been more enjoyable, but it seemed to try and keep one foot in "serious thriller" territory.

That said, I did appreciate some breaks with usual thriller convention. My favourite: The scientific snake expert they bring in is a bit weird (hey, he's a PhD), but once informed of the situation immediately takes over, telling the police exactly what they're dealing with and what response they need to take, and points them in the right direction for their case, all in plain language. It's a small bit, but it was nice to see a scientist in a movie be heroic and smart for being a scientist without being portrayed as a wizard or an action hero.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
HankMan said:
P.S. Don't worry Bob, I won't include the Expenebles since everyone and their mother has already seen the 'Together at last' scene from the promos.
I did like that scene, but maybe we should refer to it as "The meeting of the Planet Hollywood Board of Directors".

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
tyriless said:
no

just look up that seen on youtube

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
In my opinion, you really missed out on one of the 'that one part was awesome's that everyone who watches films should be familiar with. The utterly epic "Children of Men" long take.

Still, the rest of your picks were great, especially "The Protector". I'll be showing my girlfriend that when she gets back! So I'll forgive you, this time. :D

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I guess I'd go with a quality movie trumping a movie with a memorable scene. That's what single scenes are for me - memorable. Saw was a bland movie but got people talking enough to make 6 sequels. I'd almost call it a gimmick.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Basic Instinct
The seen where she uncrosses her legs the the first thing that popped into my head.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Very cool list, but...

The Lost World: This is the moment, in my mind, that Spielberg stopped being a can't-miss guy. I really enjoyed both books, and was a little irritated that the filmmaker decided that he would completely chunk Crichton's story for the sequel, but I sat through most of it. The doghouse hanging from the T-Rex's teeth, though, became the first time I ever walked out of the theater mid-movie.

The Protector (one-take fight): This is much more impressive to movie nerds than other people. Sometimes appreciating why a scene is SOOOO awesome requires at least a cursory understanding of the craft of movie making, but if appreciating that a scene is awesome forces you to be aware of the film-making process, most people aren't going to get it. This scene is slow-paced and plodding, even by 70's kung fu standards. Because of the way my brain has been trained by modern cinema, rather than thinking "holy crap, they're doing all this in one take", when they didn't cut as he went up the stairs, my first thought was "What the hell is going on? I can't see anything from this angle".

2001: This scene is definitely... different. While I love this movie and I LOVE Kubrick, I've always thought that the only reason this scene exists is because he didn't really know how to make a coherent and satisfying ending to this movie. So rather than just saying, "Ta Da!" and sending the audience home, he just put a bunch of weird imagery on the screen and hoped nobody noticed he never bothered to end it.