Disney Returning to the High Seas with Pirates 5 and 6

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010

Disney's not quite finished with Captain Jack Sparrow, snagging him for two more installments of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides hasn't been released yet, and has in fact just wrapped. It looks like Disney is pleased with the results, though, and is telling Johnny Depp to hang on to his Jack Sparrow hat. HitFix reports On Stranger Tides, the Pirates debut for Rob Marshall (Chicago), will not be the last film in the franchise. Disney is looking at its calendar to pencil in a fifth and sixth film.

Media outlet HitFix is "exclusively report[ing] that Disney has begun quietly telling cast and crew to set aside a major block of time in the very near future so they can shoot Pirates 5 and Pirates 6. And, yes, once again, they will be shooting them back-to-back as one giant film, and then they'll release them as two films." There's no word yet on when that "major block of time" will be, as in 2011, Depp is already committed to Dark Shadows, with Tim Burton, and The Lone Ranger, with Gore Verbinski, director of the first three Pirates films.

Shooting two films back to back like this is apparently exhausting; HitFix reporter Drew McWeeny spoke with Verbinski just as the latter was wrapping At World's End, the third film, and reported the director "was so exhausted that Disney wouldn't allow him to drive himself anywhere."

That's when you start asking "Where's all the rum gone?"

Source: HitFix [http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/exclusive-disney-will-set-sail-for-pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-6-back-to-back]

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I don't think they can pull this off adequately. It was built as a trilogy, I mean, it's not easy to keep making shit up. They don't have enemies anymore.

I hope they can come up with some decent antagonist, because Davy Jones and admiral stiffwig were very interesting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Was that supposed to ask "where's all the rum gone?"

Depp seemed to phone it in in the third movie and much of the second. I'm not really excited for the new sequels.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Latinidiot said:
I don't think they can pull this off adequately. It was built as a trilogy, I mean, it's not easy to keep making shit up. They don't have enemies anymore.

I hope they can come up with some decent antagonist, because Davy Jones and admiral stiffwig were very interesting.
Yeah, but how do you top DAVY JONES? I mean Barbosa was a great villian in the first movie, and then there was Davy Jones himself.

The 4th movie doesn't even have Keira or Orlando in it. And I know the 5th will be will sitting all mopey going "I can't step on land for god knows how long :( I can't look after Madam Swan, I am EMO"

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Latinidiot said:

Yeah, but how do you top DAVY JONES? I mean Barbosa was a great villian in the first movie, and then there was Davy Jones himself.

The 4th movie doesn't even have Keira or Orlando in it. And I know the 5th will be will sitting all mopey going "I can't step on land for god knows how long :( I can't look after Madam Swan, I am EMO"
that's what I'm talking about man.look at what they've had on this: Pirates(from around the world), a legendary cvollector of souls, the VOC, the godess of the sea, and now what? they have had a constant crescendo over the 3 films, and it had a nice climax. But to keep things interesting they will keep coming up with more and more powerful things. and then it becomes silly.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
This series has a bad case of the decline in quality throughout. I don't expect any of the next 3 pirates films to be any good but they will sell well

I called it first

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Latinidiot said:

Hmmm how about Black Beard the Pirate? Or Long John Silver no better yet!

Bartholomew Robers!

"He was the most successful pirate of the Golden Age of Piracy, capturing far more ships than some of the best-known pirates of this era such as Blackbeard or Captain Kidd.[1] He is estimated to have captured over 470 vessels.[2] He is also known as Black Bart (Welsh: Barti Ddu), but this name was never used in his lifetime,[3] and also risks confusion with Black Bart of the American West."

Quoted from Wiki

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I've only seen the first two movies. I liked Curse of the Black Pearl, but didn't care for the second one so I didn't see three and don't plan on seeing four. That means I definately won't see these two.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
That third one just barely finished not sucking. I can't imagine these being good.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Pirates 5 and 6 is... an odd proposition but I am VERY much looking forward to "On Stranger Tides" as I'm a big Tim Powers fan. Hell one might almost say that the previous series was the "Will Turner/Elizabeth Swan" Trilogy, now it's the "Jack Sparrow" Trilogy... even though he pretty much carried the last trilogy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
albino boo said:
Disney, ever heard of logging a dead horse?
I think you mean, "'flogging' a dead horse."
CitySquirrel said:
What, no reboot?
Don't say that word! DO NOT EVER SAY THAT WORD!!!
(j/k)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
By the end of the second movie, the series was already suffering from "escalation of awesome." Once you've gone that far, your only choice to keep from being stale is to go beyond. If you don't pace yourself, you get waaaaaay into "outlandish" territory.

I knew it was happening as soon as Davy Jones busted out his rotating tri-barrel cannon. That was the "Ah, we're going to this place already..." moment. But the symptom of any true over-escalation in a series is, of course, the Mary Sue character. In this case, is there any doubt that's Elizabeth Swan?

While sold as mildly tomboyish in the first movie, with a fascination for pirates and adventure, she was still a Governor's daughter, privileged and pampered. And then, with no real explanation, there's this meteoric rise to battle strategist (even in the first movie, she's out-pirating all the damned pirates during that chase scene with the Pearl), masterful swordswoman, and then Pirate KING?

It'd be one thing if she was thrust into that Pirate King position, where she was nervous and inept, but basically following the leadership of Jack Sparrow. That would be both believable and charming. Instead, she's actually good at being the Pirate King. It's just ridiculous.

Writing her character (and Bloom's) out won't undo the escalation, now that we've got Calypso out and about and we know just how epic things can get. This enterprise just doesn't seem sustainable.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
I liked these films. Yes, the third one relied a lot on gags that they kept going from the first movie, but it was still epic. It was the only franchise that I'd compare to the LOTR trilogy, in fact. God, I hope they don't screw this one up, but it seems somehow inevitable, if not here, then in 5 and 6.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So. If they want to turn a profit, they need to do something different from "Bigger and better!"
I, for one, would appreciate a Pirates film that decided to do something new - something that had nothing to do with saving the world.

'Course, it may well be too late for that...

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
It seems quite likely that 4 will be a race between Jack and Barbossa for the fountain of youth. Not sure how they'll pull that off though, with most of the old cast being on Barbossa's side.