Preview: Total War: Shogun 2

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Preview: Total War: Shogun 2

We?ve got full details and hands-on impressions of the game?s multiplayer.

Read Full Article

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Awesome... Really happy to see them listen to the community and provide customization for our generals, not to mention development.

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Wow, RPG elements really are getting everywhere these days. Needless to say really looking forwards to this, Shogun was my first real dip in to PC gaming, used to play that shit for days :) I hope they have awesome video clips again, I loved watching my geisha wipe out entire dynasty's unopposed :D

Justin_Hebert

Oct 20, 2010
Good to hear that they're finally including a more robust multiplayer in this series. I just hope they don't go too nuts with the RPG elements. So far, they have served to enhance the game, but I worry that they might bog this one down. Still looking forward to it, though, I may even do something completely unprecedented and buy it the day it comes out. Can't wait!

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
This sounds like EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.
The "upgrade buildings" sounds a little video-gamish to me, but...
A persistent campaign map? I've been crying for that for YEARS.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Here's to hoping the ai can actually handle complex tasks.... Played medieval 2 and well the sieges are muck to be fair, the computer more often than not forgets its attacking walls :(

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Yes, yes oh god yes, this is going to be so epically awesome!

I can't wait until shogun2 comes out, i won't be able to sleep for days.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I hear allot of stuff I heard when Empire was announced, most of that stuff got cut due to lack of time. My hopes aren't up yet especially because of how CA and SEGA have been treating the TW franchise.

Almost seems like they are doing 1 game but releasing a part of it every year to fund the real project. We had Empire in 2009, the alpha build, Napoleon in 2010, the beta build and Shogun 2 in 2011, which I hope is the Gold version.

I can't say that I'm not looking forward to it but I remain critical of it. Especially since the Multiplayer boiled down to "Use quicklime and sharpshooters" and Multiplayer seems to be their main focus whilst the Battle AI and Unit Pathfinding remains severely lacking.

I pretty much gave up and started using quicklime and sharpshooters myself after running into about 30 people using the exact same tactic playing the exact same map.

The Campaign Coop was fun, for a while. Having the AI fight against 2 humans was pretty much a lost battle when I held the AI down and had it scream Uncle in less than 50 turns. So eventually that ended up becoming Quicklime and Sharpshooter combat between 2 major human powers to.

Seeing as Canons are not a part of Japanese warfare I guess we got a more balanced playing ground to start off. Now it's all hoping they can actually have the units walk where you want them to and not have em go off into the void.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
March is going to make me really poor. First Dragon Age 2, now this. Still, march can't come a day too soon!

Quartermaine

Nov 22, 2010
1337mokro said:
Almost seems like they are doing 1 game but releasing a part of it every year to fund the real project. We had Empire in 2009, the alpha build, Napoleon in 2010, the beta build and Shogun 2 in 2011, which I hope is the Gold version.

I can't say that I'm not looking forward to it but I remain critical of it. Especially since the Multiplayer boiled down to "Use quicklime and sharpshooters" and Multiplayer seems to be their main focus whilst the Battle AI and Unit Pathfinding remains severely lacking.
Yeah I was incredibly disappointed with Empire TW, I was hesitant to pay even $30 knowing the amount of bugs it has.

Badger Kyre said:
The "upgrade buildings" sounds a little video-gamish to me...
I have to agree with that, but I think the idea is to force action instead of constant maneuvering.

The retainers sound like something out of 7th legion. A lot of the customization options sound very superficial, I rarely zoomed right in on troops when I played other TWs. I'll remain skeptical until I get to play the game, I have been let down by TWs of late.

Agent_PoRK

Jan 4, 2009
Sounds amazing, surprised to hear about the RPG elements, but im pumped to see how they will effect the game. The castle thing sounds annoying, because while defenses are fun they often interrupt my grand plans for conquest.

Skribblings

Sep 10, 2008
Jizz. In. My Pants. We've been waiting for mulitplayer campaign for soooooooo long and now.... its finally.... 3 months away.... DAMN