Hip Hop Back-Up Sues for $250 Million Over GTA: San Andreas

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hip Hop Back-Up Sues for $250 Million Over GTA: San Andreas

A former back-up singer for Cypress Hill has sued Rockstar Games for using his likeness in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Rockstar Games released Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-Andreas-Playstation-2/dp/B000EHQDA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291863605&sr=8-2] back in 2004, but somehow model and former Cypress Hill back-up performer Michael "Shagg" Washington didn't get the memo and just noticed that, according to him, it has a strong similarity to his life. So strong, in fact, that Washington feels Rockstar owes him $250 million.

Washington has sued Rockstar Games for this exorbitant amount, alleging that it used his image without paying him. He was interviewed by Rockstar in 2003 for nearly two hours over his past so it could potentially be used in San Andreas. Rockstar told Washington that it would notify him if it decided to use his likeness in the game, but he never got a call.

Fast forward to July 2010, when Washington's nephew reportedly showed him some of San Andreas's gameplay. Washington found main character Carl "CJ" Johnson to be a clear representation of himself, and he started putting together a lawsuit over fraud, misappropriation of likeness, and infringement. Rockstar Games credits rapper Christopher "Young Maylay" Bellard as the basis of Johnson, not Washington.

Washington is suing for $250 million because he says it's "25% of San Andreas's profits." The lawsuit claims that Washington doesn't play videogames, so he somehow never even saw a screenshot of San Andreas until recently. During his interview with Rockstar, he says that he talked about "details of his street life," including how his gang used to ride around on bicycles. There doesn't appear to be information available about something that might be more specific than these bicycles.

Washington's lawyer made this lame statement: "It's hard to believe that the makers of a game that allows you to shoot at cops, pick up prostitutes, and run over pedestrians at will, would actually cheat somebody out of money, but this seems to be the case." Way to be creative.

Take-Two Interactive, parent company of Rockstar Games, says: "The company believes the lawsuit is completely without merit and will vigorously defend itself in the matter." Unless there's a particularly damning similarity we don't know about yet, I don't think Take-Two will have much trouble.

Carl Johnson is a pretty regular looking dude until he's made fatter or given a new haircut by players, so I doubt the likeness argument will hold up, plus Johnson looks exactly like Bellard. The missions in San Andreas are so spectacular that it's unlikely anybody actually lived through most of them (especially that damn RC helicopter). This lawsuit is probably just the result of someone with dollar signs in their eyes.

Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1139257p1.html]

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Hey, y'know, I used to ride around my neighborhood with bikes! I think Rockstar owes me money too!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Aww, looks like we got an aspiring Prima Donna here.

I bet he sues New Line Cinema next for basing Menace II Society on his life.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Y'know, he's speaking in legal terms, but all I'm hearing is "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRR!"

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not racist but a lot of black guys seem to do whatever it takes to seem gangster and this seems like the most elaborate way someone has ever attempted to do that. (Besides the money of course.)

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Hey, y'know, I used to ride around my neighborhood with bikes! I think Rockstar owes me money too!
Hey man i know what you mean! I use to go swimming and eat at a fastfood resturant and then lose wieght via working out at a random gym.

OT: really? I mean really? there is no way this thing will be takin seriously I would be suprise if he can bring Rockstar to the barganing table, IF.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
This_ends_now said:
Commander Breetai said:
Anyway, he's just a back-up singer. For hip-hop doesn't that basically just equate to grunting and saying "Yeah!" randomly?
I'm pretty sure they also need to use some variation of the phrase "motherfuckin'" and "*****" as well.
True enough man. Hard life for them eh?

Apr 28, 2008
CoverYourHead said:
Holy shit... me too!

We'll sue them together!
Then I'll sue you, because you did what I did and didn't give me money.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah...somebody's been huffin' too much pain me thinks. It's shit like this that makes me wish these bullshit lawsuits carried the death penalty for the one making the claim.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
Y'know, I have a leather jacket, white t-shirt, green combats and white trainers, I'm white and have dark brown hair in the same style as a certain GTA3 character, and I live not too far away from them... OOOH, ROCKSTAR ARE/WERE STALKING ME. They MUST have used my likeness, I WANTS MY MONEYS!!!

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
*Sigh*

I know times are though, but wow, this is just stupid.

Good luck pal, hope you get counter sued.