Highlander: The Game: There Can Be Only None

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Highlander: The Game: There Can Be Only None

Square Enix's videogame based on Highlander has been cancelled, proving that the franchise is not actually immortal.

Anyone that grew up in the 80s and 90s should recognize Highlander, a franchise that included multiple movies, television spin-offs, and even a cartoon series. Square Enix had been working on a new Highlander videogame planned for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 for the past few years, but recently announced that the game's head was chopped off.

Square has revealed that Highlander: The Game has been cancelled. The Highlander franchise began with a movie of the same name released in 1986 that featured Christopher Lambert as Connor MacLeod and Sean Connery as his mentor. Both are members of a race of immortals that emerge from humanity and are forced into an eternal battle until a just one is left. The only way to kill an immortal is to cut off his/her head, taking in the killed immortal's strength in the process. The franchise's catchphrase is: "There can be only one."

It's actually an intriguing property, but has undoubtedly been mishandled. The first movie and television's Highlander: The Series which starred Adrian Paul as descendant Duncan MacLeod were both pretty cool for their time, but Highlander has many black marks on its record as well, including in my and many others' opinions [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/highlander_2_the_quickening/], a hilariously terrible second film.

Square's Highlander: The Game, which was being developed by Widescreen Games, sounded interesting in concept. It focused on newcomer Owen MacLeod and took place in various time periods from 2,000 years ago to the modern day. Players would have had to go up against various immortals in one-on-one battles, and Owen was even able to expand his powers through the realm of magic. There wasn't any specific reason given for the cancellation.

There have been a couple of Highlander games released in the past, on platforms like the Atari Jaguar and ZX Spectrum, but nothing in the past decade. With Highlander: The Game having been cancelled, it looks like Highlander's head will remain on the ground until a possible remake of the original movie comes out, said to be in production now.

Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1139735p1.html]

Feb 13, 2008
As I'm sure others will remind you, there is no Highlander 2.

Nope.

There is no Highlander cartoon either.

Nope. Don't exist.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
probably for the best

am I the only one who remembers the old Highlander game on the Jaguar?

but really, if done right, maybe this game would have brought the series back to it's glory

Kenny Doyle

Jun 4, 2008
Awr, shame
Though I swear I read something ages ago that this was cancelled back in 2009. Odd.

I only enjoyed the first film, that's the only Highlander that existed for me. A game wouldn't of been bad though.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
It´s a shame the game wont see the light of day. I kinda dig the franchise, specially the tv show (not the cartoon)

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As I'm sure others will remind you, there is no Highlander 2.

Nope.

There is no Highlander cartoon either.

Nope. Don't exist.
ye, there is no second Highlander movie, I did have a nightmare once though, about a second Highlander movie where Sean Connery somewhat returned from death and that he and Macleod were aliens from a distant planet..odd.

Then I woke screaming...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well one less Highlander related piece of media for Spoony to rage on. This game would have to have been good or it would just be another kick in the balls for the series. At this point, the poor thing has had enough and should be left alone, some things are not worth or meant to be continued, and the series is a strong reminder of that.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
For shame. I was looking forward to seeing The Spoony One review this game. It would've been hilarious.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Commander Breetai said:
The people responsible for everything beyond the first movie (and I don't care how many this ends up being) need to be:

1) Punched to death

2) Resuscitated

3) Kicked to death

4) Resuscitated

5) Stabbed to death

6) Resuscitated

7) Shot to death

8) Resuscitated

9) Set fire to and have marshmallows roasted over them as they die.

Or is this too much?
How about just symbolically just decapitating them?

MetaMop

Jan 27, 2010
AboveUp said:
For shame. I was looking forward to seeing The Spoony One review this game. It would've been hilarious.
That's one way of looking at it. Still, The Source review was great, am I right?