Falling Skies is Steven Spielberg's Walking Dead, With Aliens

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Falling Skies is Steven Spielberg's Walking Dead, With Aliens

Steven Spielberg is jumping in the pool of apocalypse television with Falling Skies, which starts next summer on basic cable.

AMC's The Walking Dead has brought a cinematic, apocalyptic tale to cable television, with zombies as antagonists. Now, the alien apocalypse is getting its turn. Steven Spielberg's Falling Skies starts next summer on TNT, and the show has just released a trailer (or "exclusive preview," as it calls itself).

The trailer begins post-invasion, with children voicing over their crayoned drawings to provide ominous exposition, such as "We weren't gonna attack them with the nuclear bombs because they might'a wanted to be friends. But they didn't want to be friends. Not at all." We don't get a great look at the aliens, but judging from some of these kids' art, they look pretty toothy.

The show stars Noah Wylie as what Empire describes as "a former college professor trying to keep a group of civilians and soldiers safe during a full-on alien invasion." Moon Bloodgood (Terminator Salvation) will play therapist to all those kids, and Colin Cunningham (Stargate SG-1) is also along for the ride.

Steven Spielberg is the executive producer, and Falling Skies is written by Robert Dodat (Saving Private Ryan) and directed by Carl Franklin (Rome, The Riches).

Source: Empire [http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29803]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Excuse me for one minute.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Now, erm... where was I?
Every so often my cynicism gets beaten down by something, this is one of those things. Maybe it's because Walking dead has been good or I'm a sucker for Spielberg movies, but either way that makes me very excited.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I couldn't watch that trailer. I tried, twice. All I could think of was:Maybe I have ADD.

Gerrawn

Apr 2, 2009
Woah, now this is something I'd like to watch! I'll eagerly await the premier!
However, why did that Alien look like Cthulhu and why did their ships sound like TIE Fighters?

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I don't have cable so will probably never see this, along with Walking Dead but oh well.

A big congratulations has to go out to Neill Blomkemp and District 9 for that last scene because if it wasn't inspired by that I don't know what is :p

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Gerrawn said:
Woah, now this is something I'd like to watch! I'll eagerly await the premier!
However, why did that Alien look like Cthulhu and why did their ships sound like TIE Fighters?
Because the Emperor was secretly a Cthulhu worshipper. Cthulhu Fh'tagn!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Sooo...anybody else think this is suspiciously like V + War of the Worlds? Not that I'm complaining, I love me a good sci-fi show (or a bad one if enough alcohol is available)...

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
idk guys... just cause speilberg is an exec producer doesnt mean this will be any good... wasnt there some movie he was attached to that was absolutely awful recently... Oh and this looks like district 9 and walking dead made love...

cthulu
TheTaco007 said:
Because the Emperor was secretly a Cthulhu worshipper. Cthulhu Fh'tagn!
Ha, I like this ^

Oct 14, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Sooo...anybody else think this is suspiciously like V + War of the Worlds? Not that I'm complaining, I love me a good sci-fi show (or a bad one if enough alcohol is available)...
Considering Spielberg directed the newer War of the Worlds, you're probably not far off at all.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Eh.

As soon as they break out the all-American hero voice over promoting a network I'm put off.

But then, I'm still in mourning over no more Lost.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Honestly, I don't think this looks that good. I really wish I could explain it better, but something about that trailer makes it look like it belongs in the early nineties in terms of quality.

Things like Children of Earth, Lost, Battlestar, Dollhouse, Walking Dead and a few others have set the bar pretty high for TV dramas in my book. As of right now this is either just an OK show with a terrible trailer, or a surprisingly good show with a terrible trailer.

Guess we'll have to wait an see.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
It might be good. I'm a little wary of anything that calls itself "epic" before it even comes out, though. Twice, at that.

Sep 13, 2009
Doesn't really impress me. Seems like they're trying to tart it up to much (liberal use of the word 'epic'). Also, the whole thing just seems to SciFi channel for it to be as good as Walking Dead is.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
God I hate it when they have children in these things, they just get in the way....

That's why I loved the BSG remake, they had "Boxy" around for like five episodes and boom!, gone for the rest of the show, never heard of again.