Battlefield 3 Relieving Windows XP From Duty

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Battlefield 3 Relieving Windows XP From Duty

If you're a PC gamer who is still using Windows XP, it's time to upgrade - or stay off of DICE's next Battlefield.

It may not be quite as big a name in mainstream gaming as Call of Duty, but there's no denying that DICE's Battlefield series is a FPS force to be reckoned with. The developer has said that it will be putting "special effort [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106580-DICE-Putting-Special-Effort-Into-Battlefield-3-on-PC]" into the PC version of the upcoming Battlefield 3 - but unfortunately, that means leaving the past behind.

Fan site Twitter post [http://bf3blog.com/2010/12/battlfield-3-wont-support-windows-xp/] from the past summer posted by DICE rendering architect Johan Andersson. According to Andersson, the game engine used by Battlefield 3 is advanced to the point where it will not support what was once the dominant operating system among PC gamers: If you're still using Windows XP, you need not apply.

"Frostbite 2 is primarily developed for DX11. XP & DX9 is _not_ supported, 64-bit OS is recommended. Lots of time to upgrade if you havent!"

Though this is not official confirmation from DICE that BF3 won't run on Windows XP, if the engine doesn't support the venerable old OS that's one huge kick in the side. If true, this is a bold move for DICE - according to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems], Windows XP accounts for 44% of OS usage on the market today.

Among gamers, however, this may be a different matter: Valve published its monthly hardware survey results [http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey] today, showing Windows 7 gaining ground and Windows XP losing it. Windows 7 (64-bit) was the most popular OS among Steam users, accounting for 36.66% of results (up almost a full percentage point from November) - and while it was still in second place, Windows XP (32-bit) fell a percentage point to 25.75%.

32-bit Vista took third with 14.14% of usage, beating out 32-bit Windows 7 (11.52%) and 64-bit Vista (10.58%). A mere 0.95% of Steam users are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

So while this is a gamble for DICE to potentially alienate a good quarter of its potential market, it is probably a calculated one: There's a good chance that the hardcore gamers who would play a game like Battlefield 3 are the ones that have already upgraded to an OS like Vista or Windows 7.

If not, well, it'll also be coming out on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Better than nothing, right?

(Blue's News [http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why are PC gamers so attached to XP again?

I'm surprised this OS wasn't phased out of PC gaming years ago...

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
They need to get rid of DX9. It was good while it lasted but this is like making a game for all major systems as well as the PS2. You are holding back innovation by spending time to make sure the game can run on outdated hardware.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
XP is a relic. Good to see it go. The the less we have to make room for the past, the more we can focus on the future.

Edit x 2, really not wording things right tonight.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Isn't Microsoft stopping XP support soon too? I seem to remember that they'd end support sometime in 2011.

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why are PC gamers so attached to XP again
Backwards compatibility (or at least that's the case for me).

I suppose I'll have to upgrade sooner or later. *Sighs*

The day's gonna come, might as well get it over with as soon as I make up the money for a new OS.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Because upgrading requires effort and I'm terribly lazy.
just "accidentally" throw it into the pool and say "oh... I guess I need a new Asus computer now...oh...darn..."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well by the time it comes out, I'm sure I would either have my own computer or this one would be upgraded. If not, I'll head on to my Xbox 360!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Mainly because Vista didn't work very well, glitchy, memory heavy and generally rubbish, so gamers stuck to XP like old chewing gum to a boot. Although 7 has poven much better.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
John Funk said:
If not, well, it'll also be coming out on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Better than nothing, right?
Actually that would be worse then nothing because being on consoles is a dragging down the quality of the whole game.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, honestly. They can't support XP forever, and considering it's turning 10 this year, it's amazing they've supported it this long. It's like the PS2 of PC gaming... Got some support well past it's prime, but now it's really quite time to leave it behind and move on to the newer, more capable platforms.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Thank God. DX9 is old, XP is old. They are extremely outdated and as it stands, should be discontinued as a gaming OS. (Note I know how expensive it is for a business to upgrade systems, I am saying this on a strictly gaming level, not business)