New SSX Game Lives Up to "Deadly" Label

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New SSX Game Lives Up to "Deadly" Label

Grab your oxygen tank and thermal underwear; videogame snowboarding just got dangerous.

The very first details about SSX: Deadly Descents have emerged, and it seems like the colorful and slightly crazy fun of the originals has well and truly been given the elbow, in favor of something darker, and a heck of a lot more serious.

Probably the biggest change is that the snowboarding experience actually has an element of danger to it. According to a summary on NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417958] of an article about the game from this month's EGM, each mountain will have a particular threat, which will include things like thin air, ice, and extreme cold. Your gear has taken on new dimension as well, because it will affect how well you handle the environmental challenges. Take the wrong item, and your run could be cut tragically short.

There will apparently be plenty to do though, as developer, EA Canada, is aiming to include 70 open, fully rideable mountains, split into 17 regions. The mountains themselves are procedurally generated, and will make use of topographical data from Google Earth. As well as exploring the mountains, there will also be courses and tracks to race on, which will have natural shortcuts to find.

Based on this description Deadly Descents sounds like it has some pretty interesting ideas, and could even be quite exciting to play. All the same, it seems like a pretty big change in direction for a series, which - up until now - hasn't taken itself overly seriously.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=282546?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm approaching with an air of caution and skepticism. Probably because Tricky was one of my favourite games.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I really wanted to see a return of the SSX Tricky/SSX 3 times, so this is a little bit of a downer. Despite that it looks pretty interesting. It almost seems like it's biggest flaw at this moment is that it's called SSX.

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
'the colorful and slightly crazy fun of the originals has well and truly been given the elbow'

Then I speak for alot of people when I say I no longer give a shit. Way to 'grit' up the franchise EA.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I've always been really critical of snowboarding games (in my own head haha, maybe not publicly) but I'd like to give it a go. It seems like something interesting, I'd give it a go!

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Was it just me or was there an excessive amount of grunting in that trailer?

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
i'll wait for a demo, i played the schizzle out of SSX tricky and loved every second of it. the level with the big pipes and rails and the big fan was awesome, so i'm willing to atleast pay attention.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh, dear the FPS darker and edgier disease* is creeping into sports games. Do you think they'll be able to cram a helicopter crash level opening into it?

As long as there's no brown, please God no brown.
*if it turns out to be a good game then all is well, but if it sucks I will hold this against it

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
At least its something new, but at least keep part of the whacky fun! Like a special game mode or something!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Littaly said:
I really wanted to see a return of the SSX Tricky/SSX 3 times, so this is a little bit of a downer. Despite that it looks pretty interesting. It almost seems like it's biggest flaw at this moment is that it's called SSX.
Indeed, SSX3 was my favourite of the bunch, but let's see how it turns out.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
honestly, I'm kinda looking forward to this game

looks to me like the series is, like, attempting a Split/Second twist in the game, rather than a Dark FPS one

but it's my opinion and the results may vary

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Aw I want another SSX 3 :C It was fun collecting all the little snowflake tokens for money.

Maybe because On Tour didn't get a good response they're going all moody and realistic in an attempt to regain appeal. Because apparently everyone likes moody realistic stuff.

solidmoose

May 27, 2010
I just bought a brand new copy of SSX3.

No thank you Deadly Descents, I have all the snowboarding I could ever need.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Loved the original game, all I wanted was more of that so another eagerly awaited a new entry and...

...I give up. If EA is going this ridiculous direction with a snowboarding game I'm out. The aesthetics look bland, trying to wedge in some sort of story is nonsense and the whole tone is off with the dark gritty atmosphere. This series reminds me of Tony Hawk, great at first and gradual decline into becoming a joke. Shame.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Everyone loves Tricky but for me it has to be On Tour. I reckon they went downhill after that one but On Tour just nicely topped off the SSX experience and had one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game.

I played Blur and thought it was rubbish by comparison - maybe this will change that? From the trailer I honestly can't wait