7 year old boy: Recommend a WiiU game for him

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
You might try The Wonderful 101. It's difficult, but it's creative, colorful and exciting. Also, it's a bit of an homage to weird action cartoons like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and such.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Gorfias said:
mitchell271 said:
Gorfias said:
You can pick up Nintendoland cheap used at Gamestop. Fun, different mini game collection.
I'm interested in Pikmin 3 myself.
Goddamn ninjas, stealing everything for my own post! Think of this as a seconding of these titles.
LOL. Interesting you 2nd Pikmin 3! I'm going to have to get that ASAP. (I assume you mean it's good for grownups too).
Of course! To me, any truly good kid's game is great for adults too. I'm 19, I've never played through Super Punch-Out before and it's still a great game. It's made with kids in mind, but it's still hugely entertaining.

I want a WiiU just for Pikmin, but my student wallet says, "No."

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Gorfias said:
Neronium said:
...it's better to buy it online
I'm getting the impression that watching game prices is like watching the stock market! I paid something like $11 for Nintendoland and it is well worth that! Now, online, Gamestop is asking for more like 20 used, while as little as $22 new at Amazon.com
You think that's bad. I went to a Walmart a few days ago and saw brand new copies of Wii Music on the shelves, and they were charging $50 for it! Not only that, but they were also charging $50 for a brand new copy of Metroid: Other M, and when I went to a store that goes based off the MSRP they were charging $20 for Other M brand new instead of $50.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Story said:
Evonisia said:
Rayman Legends is apparently 'best' on the Wii U, and is a co-op focused game, definitely get that. It's also 2D.
I might buy that one if only for myself (and for my sister). I don't think he'll be able to enjoy the challenge without being frustrated. However, doesn't that game also have a support system similar to Mario U? In that someone can use the touch screen to help out other players? He might enjoy that since he is used to feedback directly on the control screen, since he is so used to iPad games.
Yeah that's true from what I can tell.

From: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rayman-legends-face-off

Level layouts remain identical, but the way in which the player completes these challenges is very different.

For example, at various points in the Wii U game, Rayman is temporarily replaced with supporting characters Globox and Murphy. Here the player directly controls Murphy, using the GamePad's touchscreen and gyroscope to manipulate the environments and trigger certain moves to get through the level, while the CPU guides Globox along. Ropes are cut and objects moved around to clear a safe path through lava-infested pits and various other nefarious traps, while enemies are tickled using the touchscreen before being taken out with a good slap from Murphy. In other areas, the gyroscope is used to rotate parts of the level around, allowing Murphy to grab into hooks and reach platforms surrounded by spikes and other traps. In these sections, the GamePad emphasis adds in interesting puzzles and unique gameplay elements that break up the regular platforming elsewhere.

It's why I look forward to getting Rayman Legends when I get a Wii U (got it on 360 and soon Xbox One).

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
If mario and skylanders are too difficult for him ( i can't believe i wrote difficult, skylanders and mario in the same sentence) then i say give up on him , he's not a gamer. Get him a coloring book and some crayons and call it a day.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Story said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
here's a recommendation.. get the money back for the Wii u and pay the difference for either a PS3 or a PS4 instead.. so he he'll have a better console that has plenty of great games
You might be kidding, but I'll humor you since I'm going to get more responses like this.
A few things:
We partly bought the WiiU because it seemed like the perfect "my first console"...well console. The touch screen on the controller is perfect for a child that doesn't have the hand-eye coordination down pact. He just got off of the iPad as well, a similar medium.

My mother is at the same time anal and ignorant I'm sorry to say. She doesn't want him to play any games that are too violent, but she's isn't smart enough (or is just too lazy) to research a game before buying it. That's pretty much how my 14 year old sister got Grand Theft Auto V and Saints Row IV, both purchases my mother regrets getting of course. At least for the WiiU she's less likely to buy an M rated game.

We already have a 360 if he wants to play games on that system. Feel free to give recommendations for that if you want.

Both me and my sister want to play Nintendo related games, like Super Smash Bros for example. Getting a WiiU for the brother was a good excuse to buy the system.

Believe me when I say I would love to watch my brother play the Sly Cooper series and Puppeteer, but I personally feel he'll get more millage out of the WiiU, especially for a beginner.

I actually wasn't kidding.. the Wii U sucks. and it's not gonig to be around much longer.. better get a console like the PS4 that will be around for years instead of a doomed one like the Wii U

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Poppy JR. said:
You might try The Wonderful 101. It's difficult, but it's creative, colorful and exciting. Also, it's a bit of an homage to weird action cartoons like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and such.
Much as I am in LOVE with Wonderful 101; I think it might be a little too much of a clusterfudge for a young'un to quite be able to get to grips with. The gameplay at least, otherwise it'd be perfect (though there are quite a few risque jokes)

I could easily be wrong, though, but I wouldn't go into such a thing as a 'my first action game' type thing. I've never actually played the easy mode, so it *could* be accessible, but again, I couldn't tell you.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Mario 3D World comes to mind as it's mostly forgiving but then even I've found some parts of it very frustrating. Sonic Lost World is the same way but less polished.

Nintendoland is a good choice though, Wind Waker HD might be pretty good as it's not too much of a precision deal, more just about exploring and puzzles. Lego City Undercover might be just what you need though!

I'm sorry I can't be much more help I mostly use my Wii U for tough platformers and ZombiU.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Evonisia said:
Thanks a bunch, that was very informative. :D I wanted to pick up Rayman for myself, seems the WiiU version is the way to go.

JacksonDemolition said:
Also! No lives system for Rayman Legends.
That clenches it then!
I'll write that on the list, at least I'll get some some play out it.
Thanks for the other recommendations as well, we are certainly getting Smash Bros no matter what, I really want to play that game.

krazykidd said:
If mario and skylanders are too difficult for him ( i can't believe i wrote difficult, skylanders and mario in the same sentence) then i say give up on him , he's not a gamer. Get him a coloring book and some crayons and call it a day.
You maybe right, though I had a hard time getting into games when I was his age. I'm thinking about making a thread about it actually inspite of myself. Meh, I think all he needs is practice and lots of ego boosting encouragement. At the same time, though I love video games, be if he chooses that it's just not for him I can't say that it will be much of a loss. Shame he won't get much use out of his B day gift though.
On a side note, I saw him as a gamer the moment he started to play the iOS games, but that's a controversial opinion for another day.

crazygameguy4ever said:
I actually wasn't kidding.. the Wii U sucks. and it's not gonig to be around much longer.. better get a console like the PS4 that will be around for years instead of a doomed one like the Wii U
Dude, fanboy ism aside, did you ever stop to think that we might get both down the line? I like both Sony and Nintendo. My 7th system of choice will be a PS4, (though at this point it might be a good PC instead) it's just not going to be my brother's first system. The difference is that I'm not too doom and gloom about the WiiU. I think it can be the right system for the right audience.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Pink Gregory said:
Poppy JR. said:
Much as I am in LOVE with Wonderful 101; I think it might be a little too much of a clusterfudge for a young'un to quite be able to get to grips with. The gameplay at least, otherwise it'd be perfect (though there are quite a few risque jokes)

I could easily be wrong, though, but I wouldn't go into such a thing as a 'my first action game' type thing. I've never actually played the easy mode, so it *could* be accessible, but again, I couldn't tell you.
I couldn't really, either. I played the demo at a friend's house, so I totally understand the "clusterfudge" you mentioned, but the demo was light on dialog, so I didn't see any of the risque jokes.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I know others have said this, but the Lego games (I wasn't so keen on lego city) are good, the superhero ones and the harry potter ones are pretty good, the star wars one was, a little bit more complicated but not too bad. All of the Lego games are very forgiving for beginners.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Im going to say Rayman Legends as well the game is excellent for all ages and accessible enough for anyone who has some experience with games basically if you can play a Mario platformer you can play Rayman Legends.

Also those 2D musical levels that come as a bonus after each world are some of the most fun 2D levels I have played well ever. I dont think I have had such a smile on my face when playing a game in ages.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Wind Waker. I regret not being introduced to 3D adventure games sooner as a kid. Sure, Zelda games have always been a little cryptic and sometimes hard but you can get by with an occasional glance at a guide (yeah, I admit). Rayman Legends will also fit the bill.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I was going to suggest W101, but you said he doesn't really handle 3D spaces all that well. I'm not quite sure if there is a 2D 3D blend game out for the Wii U yet? I want to say Sonic Lost worlds does, but how often I don't know and it has lives.

(Does W101 have lives?) I know you lose in that game, but I don't think it's a Game Over? Actually no- it wouldn't be a good choice. The game is famous for being hard.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I was going to suggest W101, but you said he doesn't really handle 3D spaces all that well. I'm not quite sure if there is a 2D 3D blend game out for the Wii U yet? I want to say Sonic Lost worlds does, but how often I don't know and it has lives.
Lives aren't as much a problem in Lost World anymore as SEGA patched it in to where you get lives after 100 rings again. The DLC as well loads you with lives also, with the Yoshi's Island one giving you the most. Now if it were Lost World at launch...yeah I'd keep him away from it. :p

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
NintendoLand is a good one.
Then TNT racers (7? on eshop) is a fun little racing game.
If he likes pokémon then the PokemonRumble (15? on eshop) seems like fun, I'll get it soon fro multiplayer / drinking game :p

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Poppy JR. said:
Pink Gregory said:
Poppy JR. said:

I couldn't really, either. I played the demo at a friend's house, so I totally understand the "clusterfudge" you mentioned, but the demo was light on dialog, so I didn't see any of the risque jokes.
Yeah, clearly you never met Wonder-Pink...

Well, I 'unno, I don't think a kid would totally understand, but a protective mother would, y'know?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
Lives aren't as much a problem in Lost World anymore as SEGA patched it in to where you get lives after 100 rings again. The DLC as well loads you with lives also, with the Yoshi's Island one giving you the most. Now if it were Lost World at launch...yeah I'd keep him away from it. :p
In that case I guess it would be good. The only question is is the balance between 3D and 2D since he said his son isn't too big of a fan for that stuff.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Pink Gregory said:
Poppy JR. said:
Pink Gregory said:
Poppy JR. said:

Yeah, clearly you never met Wonder-Pink...

Well, I 'unno, I don't think a kid would totally understand, but a protective mother would, y'know?
I feel 'ya. I just googled Wonder-Pink. 0_0