Mysterious 8,000 Piece Lego Box Confounds and Perplexes

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mysterious 8,000 Piece Lego Box Confounds and Perplexes

One of the most perplexing objects on the planet might be this box made of Legos.

A creator named Todd Wilder has created a box made of Legos that is much more complicated than it first appears. Trying to open the box requires mental fortitude on the level of Professor Layton [http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Layton-Unwound-Future-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003O6E7DI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296845529&sr=8-1].

It might look like a coffee table, but his creation is so much more. The small box is rightfully adorned with question marks and has 8 hidden compartments, but they can only be opened in a specific order.

[gallery=119]

The sequence is best explained through Wilder's images. First, you have to pop out four hidden drawers on the box's sides. Once you've done so, a pillar can be raised out of the top of the box. The inside of the pillar can be pulled out with a key, which is probably in the possession of Nate Drake from Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune-Playstation-3/dp/B000UW21A0/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296845820&sr=1-3] right now. On top of the pillar, another small compartment can be removed. Finally, once you've done all of that, a large tray pulls out of the side of the box. Exhausting.

The box itself is impressive, but I also like the colorful question mark theme Wilder infused throughout each compartment. He created the box by painstakingly working out a design in a PC paint program, and then taking this design to Lego Digital Designer [http://ldd.lego.com/], a program that allows users to build with virtual Legos and purchase a set from Lego. Once Wilder finished his design, it was made up of nearly 8,000 pieces, so he decided to go through a third-party Lego shop rather than spend $1,800 on the set Lego would have put together.

After 35 separate orders, and constantly reloading his 2,000 page manual for the box, he finally got it done. He says the herculean task was completed with a strong belief in himself and plenty of sticktoitiveness. The only thing he forgot were defense measures, like electric shocks or spikes, just in case a puzzle solver happens to decide that a hammer might get the job done more quickly.

Source: Boing Boing [http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/249968]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
0.o

Legos will always surprise me. That is awesome! I'd love to have one, just to use as a table. I mean, this is just plain awesome. And so evilly genius. I could just imagine throwing something in, gluing it all together, and then telling someone to figure it out.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
You shoulda linked to the user [user]Professor Layton[/user]. Although I doubt he's smart enough...

The real Layton would likely be stumped, too.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Complex to open you say? *does an elbow drop on it* There ya go, it's still Lego afterall.
standokan said:
I see Minecraft material.
Now that's a plan!

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
In the center of the box is a clock so you can see how much time you've wasted.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
squid5580 said:
Nooooo don't try and figure it out. You will unleash Pinhead.
Just what I was thinking, although I imagine a legion of lego Cenobites wouldn't be quite so scary, considering you could just push them over and watch them shatter into their component pieces across the floor.

Unless they then rebuilt themselves like a t-1000, ok, maybe they're scary again!

You think a Lego Pinhead can't hurt you? Have you never never stepped on a lego brick in the dark at 3am?

Oct 14, 2010
cjbos81 said:
In the center of the box is a clock so you can see how much time you've wasted.
Ha! I would probably put a hammer there to reward your myriad frustrations with wanton destruction.

ladysephiroth

Jan 26, 2011
I want one for my living room. And I'd ask them to glue the Lego together (in the appropriate places) so that it would not fall apart the first time my cat jumped on it.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Normally 'Legos' only crops up once in this sort of article; by the time I was done reading I could feel my teeth standing on end... Man I pity the poor buggers have to market that brand to America.

Though that said it's certainly a pretty awesome piece of work.. 'couldn't get over how perfect the top looked; it was hard to remember it was plastic and not obsidian or something.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Shame...This would've been a lot more impressive if he had used 1001 more lego pieces. Tsk tsk.

Forktongue

May 19, 2009
squid5580 said:
Nooooo don't try and figure it out. You will unleash Pinhead.
I thought the exact same thing! Little lego Cenobites are all this amazing piece is missing. Or maybe WE are the Cenobites and it's meant for us to keep little dismembered lego pieces inside. "Oh such fun we will have!"

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Bobzer77 said:
I think it's an American thing, I could be wrong though.
It's an American thing alright, but not a willful one. By my understanding Lego have gone to great lengths over the years to divert the American urge to say sheeps, but always seem to fail. Nowadays they seem to just get it right in their own marketing and leave everyone 'knows better to cringe to the nails-on-a-chalk-board sensation of the unenlightened.

>.>