Duke Nukem Forever's Multiplayer Made for "Sh*t Talkers"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever's Multiplayer Made for "Sh*t Talkers"

Gearbox is still being coy about Duke Nukem Forever's multiplayer, but hints it'll be great for the foul-mouthed.

We know that multiplayer exists in Gearbox's upcoming Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298313444&sr=8-2], but exactly how it'll work has been kept completely secret. In a talk with Eurogamer, Gearbox chief Randy Pitchford was coy about the game's multiplayer modes, yet he said just enough to make them seem like they'll be something special.

Duke Nukem Forever's multiplayer is being developed by Canadian-based studio Piranha, known for previous titles such as Need for Speed [http://www.amazon.com/Die-Hard-Nakatomi-Plaza-Pc/dp/B00005QX4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1298314584&sr=1-1]. Pitchford says Gearbox is struggling with how it'll best be able to expose Piranha's work.

"Multiplayer is something where, in order to 'get' it, we need to figure out a way that people can feel it, because multiplayer's something you need to play," Pitchford said. "You can get some things across in screenshots but not really. So we're kinda struggling with how we expose it so people understand what's there. The proof is in the pudding so to speak, so I don't want to talk about it too much."

Pitchford also said that Duke Nukem Forever's multiplayer modes will be "exciting for people to discover," meaning they may not all be unlocked from the get-go. He pointed to the multiplayer found in 1996's Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-3D-pc/dp/B00002S6EL/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298314997&sr=1-11], but about "fun" and "getting together with your buddies to talk shit, and using these unique tools to be the best on the battlefield."

I'm sure we'll have standard deathmatch, but the irreverence of Duke Nukem will likely make its way into the traditional FPS multiplayer modes we've seen in the past. Capture the Stripper? Assault? There aren't any limits when it comes to the Duke.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-21-gearbox-talks-duke-nukem-multiplayer]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Capture the Stripper? Assault? There aren't any limits when it comes to the Duke.
Throw in a good-natured version of "Smear the Queer" and we'd have a perfect controversy platform.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Capture the last man standing and stick him with the flag double domination style.

There was a forum that had that description for the FPS section. It would go great for DNF

drwow

Nov 25, 2009
using people's emotions as a gameplay tactic? that sounds amazing.
I can't wait to see how it's implemented.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
As it should be. In fact, didn't the original Duke 3D actually have hot keyed pre-recorded taunts for use in multiplayer?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
As it should be. In fact, didn't the original Duke 3D actually have hot keyed pre-recorded taunts for use in multiplayer?
Yes it did :)

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
My god I really hope they aren't just talking out of their ass when they said that the multiplayer isn't about being the next Call Of Duty.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
XBL, meet DNF. DNF, meet XBL.

Probably a marriage made in heaven. I know I'll keep my mics turned off.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
verdugo136 said:
god damn does every game mp now, is it law or something.
Well hey, DNF isn't committing the sin of skimping out on Single-Player because it has multiplayer. Hell, every single thing Gearbox has advertised up to this point has painted DNF as a single-player central game. DNF's multiplayer, especially since it will have jetpacks, will be the icing on the cake for once. As opposed to the real meat of the package.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Finally, a MP where it isn't all gritty realistic. I'm looking forward to see how many variants (and, subsequently, how many innuendos) of MP they can come up with.

Oh, and how many map names could they make that ALSO include clever innuendos? I imagine Morningwood would be a nice start. Hell, for the Duke, that's ALWAYS a nice start.