Atlus Offers First Look at Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Atlus Offers First Look at Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Atlus has announced a sequel to the Shin Megami Tensei series' Nintendo DS tactics game.

After Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked [http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Survivor-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001QTW2HS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1301062457&sr=1-1] instead of a sequel. On a positive note, Atlus is working on a sequel, and first details on it have recently been revealed.

Aptly titled Devil Survivor 2, the game will be quite different than the original other than the basic battle system which still plays out in an isometric tactical view. Atlus is staying with the DS for the sequel, and says it'll be the development team's "final masterpiece" for the handheld.

[gallery=168]

The storyline will be completely unrelated to Devil Survivor's angels vs. demons theme. Devil Survivor 2 follows the invasion of multiple Japanese cities by creatures called the "Septentrion." These creatures will attack every day, and players have 7 days to stop them.

Just as with most of the Shin Megami Tensei titles, players will control various teenagers, 13 in all, that gain the ability to tame demons to fight against the Septentrion. Demon auctions, through which players use currency earned in battles to acquire new demon combatants, will be making a return, but Atlus is also adding a new "Enishi" system. This system will track friendship levels between the characters in your party, and unlock skills or other abilities as these levels improve.

Early images (thanks to Andriasang and Famitsu) show a visual style completely similar to the first title, though with a whole new cast of characters. The regular gang of demons will likely be included, especially the fan-favorite Frost family.

Atlus has been toiling away at Devil Survivor 2 for 2 years, revealing that the game is approximately 95% complete. It's expected for a summer 2011 release in Japan, and will probably make its way to other regions eventually, though I'd probably just wait for the 3DS Overclocked version.

Source: Famitsu [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/24/devil_survivor_2_first_look/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Good. They aren't jumping on the 3DS for the sequel.

But they are remaking Devil Survivor 1 for the 3DS...

WHAT THE HELL IS UP, ATLUS?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I haven't played Devil Survivor yet but I will definitely pick it up on 3DS. God knows it'll be good since it has the Atlus name on it. Lucky I actually pre-ordered the 3DS, I hear a lot of countries are completely sold out already, I wonder if Australia is one of them... oh, probably not.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I absolutely love Suzuhito Yasuda's character designs. I'll be picking this one up for sure.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Considering the last imagine has a demon with a pyramid head... as that a demon in the first game or does is seem like they're trying to make a pyramid head (silent hill) demon

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Does it not take long to make a 3ds game? It's going to be released in the summer and all they have are some art images? Curious...

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
This seems like a skip for me. I like tactical battle games, but Atlus has a habit of making unfairly hard games (this coming from someone who didn't mind FFTA2 where the enemy outright cheats in some missions, 24 turns before I get one even though my units are faster) and I really don't like timed games.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
luckycharms8282 said:
Does it not take long to make a 3ds game? It's going to be released in the summer and all they have are some art images? Curious...
Different games. You are thinking of the 3DS remake of the first one. This is a sequel to the first one.

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
So now the key item are scarfs?
Last game was glasses(P4), and ties for the one before(P3)

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
archvile93 said:
This seems like a skip for me. I like tactical battle games, but Atlus has a habit of making unfairly hard games (this coming from someone who didn't mind FFTA2 where the enemy outright cheats in some missions, 24 turns before I get one even though my units are faster) and I really don't like timed games.
Devil Survivor wasn't hard. It was all about being prepared for the fight. Almost everything is strong against some attacks and is weak against others. You just need the party that is strong against the enemies' attacks and can exploit their weak points. Sure, if you play the game on hard, it will be really hard, but on normal, it's ok.

If it's like the first game, it's not timed. Each "period of time" has some plot missions that advance the time when they're done and some missions are only available for limited period of time. You're not rushed against a real time clock to do your missions.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Oka... I'll admit, I may buy a 3DS now for this. Though if it has the option to not play in 3D and still be normal, I'll probably do that and play on my Lite.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
cool, still not finished first one, which i had to go through a hell of an hassle to import it from america because it was never released over here, i hope they dont do that with the sequel

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
lomylithruldor said:
Devil Survivor wasn't hard
YOU MUST BE A GOD.
It totally wasn't. All you need is your good friend level grinding

I will admit though, the Fallen Morning Star (Satan) fight was a pain in the ass, but it was cake with the right build of spells. Really though, pretty much every SMT game has the "impossible optional boss fight"

And if I hadn't known about it beforehand and had a good spell/skill build, Haru's ending fight against Babel would have been hard, since you can't use any demons

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Celtic_Kerr said:
Considering the last imagine has a demon with a pyramid head... as that a demon in the first game or does is seem like they're trying to make a pyramid head (silent hill) demon
It's been in previous SMT games, and I think it was in the first Devil Survivor. IIRC it's called Yomotso Ikusa, or just Ikusa.

I'll totally buy this game, because that's what I do with SMT. Still, I'm not wild about the franchise's direction; I'd rather have adult characters, and I'm pretty tired of the social-link/dating-sim stuff, which seems to be a big trend nowadays on both sides of the RPG pond. Oh well, the game will likely kick ass anyway.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
sanzo said:
Tom Goldman said:
lomylithruldor said:
Devil Survivor wasn't hard
YOU MUST BE A GOD.
It totally wasn't. All you need is your good friend level grinding

I will admit though, the Fallen Morning Star (Satan) fight was a pain in the ass, but it was cake with the right build of spells. Really though, pretty much every SMT game has the "impossible optional boss fight"

And if I hadn't known about it beforehand and had a good spell/skill build, Haru's ending fight against Babel would have been hard, since you can't use any demons
I didn't think so until the last fight. Never beat it :(

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Shhhh....you had me at "Shin Megami Tensei." Well, plus I really enjoy Devil Survivor.
I'm more of a fan of the Persona series.

That leaves me with two questions.

1. Why does the protagonist that's in the 1st and 6th picture look like a slightly recolored and reclothed hero from Persona 3?

2. Where should I start with the rest of his series?