Mass Effect Anime Film in the Works

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect Anime Film in the Works

BioWare and FUNimation are partnering to create an anime feature film based on the Mass Effect [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5YW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302195407&sr=8-2] universe that will be out in mid-2012.

There aren't many videogames that are as ready-made for a feature film translation as Mass Effect. It's practically an interactive movie in its own right, after all, and the vast universe in which it's set is a fertile ground for storytelling. So it's not too much of a surprise that BioWare is pursuing just such a project with anime production company T.O. Entertainment and distributor FUNimation, with Casey Hudson, the executive producer of the Mass Effect game series, taking on the sale role for the film.

"Over the last few years, we have revealed different pieces of the Mass Effect world through different media," Hudson said. "Extending the story through an anime medium is another amazing opportunity for us."

If this partnership sounds a bit familiar, it may be because a similar deal was announced last year for a Dante's Inferno [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101155-Dragon-Age-Anime-in-the-Works] both got the film treatment too, although my compadre Mike Thompson says neither of them were very good. Those films were made in conjunction with a completely different producer, however, so hopes are higher for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

The Mass Effect anime film is already in production and is expected to be released in digital and home video formats in the summer of 2012. The Dragon Age film, since we're talking about it anyway, is due sometime this year.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, there was that Homecoming anime based on Halo. That was pretty cool.

I can't think of any reason why it couldn't work for Mass Effect. The setting is certainly good enough.

So yeah... chalk me up under "Vaguely interested, but fully prepared to not give a shit."

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
In all honesty, after playing through The Arrivel yesterday, I'd like to see more Mass Effect universe.
But (big but) it better not pull a Halo: Legends. Not that it was bad, it was just a bit 'off' from the established universe, if one could legitimately 'know' the universe...

In unrelated opinions: Why not use western animation (not 3D)? Or does it not exist any more? :/

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Interesting. I haven't heard of this anime studio though. I would've been more happy if it was perhaps MadHouse animating it.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Apart from the milking aspect there's only one thing left to say, let's hope it's true that they aren't going to be anywhere near as pathetic as these Dead Space lore-raping piece of crap animated movies :X

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I came into this thread like "I could've sworn The Escapist had already reported on this". Then I read through and realised I was thinking of the Dragon Age one.

I won't get my hopes up. I'll probably give it a look, but I half expect it to be all kinds of bland.

hansari

May 31, 2009
John Funk said:
Commander Shepard better fight the Reapers in a Gundam.
Shepherd goes to planet and meets Thundercats. Crossover needed. Acquires new ally and possible love interest...

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Here's hoping they at least get a good, Japanese studio to do the work, like Bones or Kyoto Animation. North Americans tend to fuck up when trying to emulate the anime style.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Not sure if want...

They wont make her a renegade femshep, therefore it wont be worth watching even if it's not poorly done

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
At least it won't be like the Dead Space one (which was pretty much the cut first act of the Ishimura, showing off the place during the start of everything and showing us the religion of the universe before the people went insane, basically doing the whole job of creating the whole setting, at the expense of plot, scares, and character development), since Bioware already has set the scene quite nicely.

Hopefully, Bioware will realize this as a golden opportunity to make the Elcor Hamlet or the Hanar Spectre movie a reality.

Chinnygan

Oct 21, 2009
As much as it'll be nice to watch and all, do we really need this?

Mass Effect is a cinematic experience in itself, where the player is allowed to make decisions, based on their own personality, which affect the universe in it as a whole. So translated into a movie, there will be nothing personal about it.

In my opinion, the main Mass Effect story works best as a game, so unless it's backstory, I'll give it a miss.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
So who is the actual animation studio? I'm assuming T.O. Entertainment and Funi are doing production work.

I hope it's someone good.

[sub]Production I.G would be cool.[/sub]