Scientists Train Computer to Understand "That's What She Said" Jokes

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Scientists Train Computer to Understand "That's What She Said" Jokes

As science marches on, your computer might soon find itself giggling every time you say the words "hard drive" and "motherboard" in the same sentence.

Chloé Kiddon and Yuriy Brun, a pair of computer scientists at the University of Washington, have finally brought humor into the 21st century by creating a program that can analyze blocks of text for the most inviting places to insert yourself ... in the form of a timely "that's what she said!"

The problem the pair faced was not just teaching the computer to know when it was possible to add a "that's what she said" to the end of a sentence, but also to know when it would actually be funny. To do this, they fed the computer 1.5 million unintentionally naughty sentences, along with examples of plain and unfunny text. Then, to increase the program's understanding of what words make for good euphemisms, the researches applied a "sexiness" function to the raunchiest-sounding nouns and adjectives, with words like "rod," "meat," "hot," and "wet," being given high sexiness functions.

The researchers further trained the program, which they named Double Entendre via Noun Transfer (or DEviaNT), on stories collected from TWSSstories.com [http://twssstories.com/]. After testing, they found that DEviaNT had a 70 percent accuracy rate when analyzing text for dirty bits, which the pair believe they can improve to 99.5 percent with the addition of more data. They also believe that DEviaNT could be modified to recognize "other types of double entendres and other forms of humor."

Well, thanks a lot, science. The ability to laugh was going to be one of the only ways to tell man from machine, and now you've gone and given them a sense of humor. An infantile one, yes, but you've gone and made our inevitable war with the machines that much more difficult. You've made it longer, harder, and more dangerous.

And that, my friends, is what she said.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/04/software-works-out-whether-tha.html?]

(Image) [http://wearscience.com/design/robot/]

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Thats the thing with computers though its not training it its programing it training allows is to respond to unforseen input but programing is just it doing what its been told

olfelix

May 14, 2010
"O.K. first of all, Steve Carell owns "that's what she said", he OWNS it..."

-Liz Lemon

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Seriously? This is what scientists are doing with their time?

Where's the cure for cancer? And more importantly WHERE'S MY FUCKING PORTAL GUN???

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
As long as I can keep making "that's what she said" jokes during the inevitable machine war, it's all cool.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
This is an impressive step forward in technology, but I'll be more impressed when they manage to artificially replicate Jewish humor in the form of Mel Brooks or Woody Allen.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
My God. Soon they'll be able to comprehend sarcasm.

Be very afraid, people.
Be very, very afraid.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
NinjaDeathSlap said:

Where's the cure for cancer? And more importantly WHERE'S MY FUCKING PORTAL GUN???
foolish they have to perfect Glados's wit and sarcasm first also wheatley

ninja'd by liquidgrape

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Can we have a slow clap function just in case its a terrible 'That's what she said'?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It's too late Science, it's too late.

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/439/commodoreHUSTLE-09-Growl/QT

Keybladeking57

Mar 8, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:

BUT THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! oh wait....that wasn't your point was it?

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
I'm very impressed by the acronym.
I know, right? Entirely fitting, and not forced hard enough to give someone a hemroid, like most "clever" acronyms.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
D0WNT0WN said:
A machine that can understand double entendres, what will they think of next.
Probably your mom.

But in all seriousness, the real trick during the war is to ask the person/machine why it's funny. If the answer is anything more complex than "Cause it's my dick" then you know it's a machine and fire away.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Jonny49 said:
As long as I can keep making "that's what she said" jokes during the inevitable machine war, it's all cool.
PAY ATTENTION weve got a machine coming up the rear