8 Anime Antagonists That We Secretly Like

Hayden_Russell

Aug 11, 2015
8 Anime Antagonists That We Secretly Like

Sometimes you just have to embrace your darker side.

Read Full Article

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
I see your Milliardo Peacecraft (who may be the most interesting person in Gundam Wing, but that doesn't say a lot), and raise you the delightfully crazy and extremely dangerous Haman Karn from Zeta Gundam and Double Zeta Gundam. The most powerful female pilot in Gundam history... all of them. Scary enough that when battle-hardened commander Bright Noa sees her suit appear in Double Zeta he goes catatonic with fear. She took on Char Aznable... and won. That alone tells everything you need to know.

Also, another vote for my avy, Inquisitorial General Esdeath Partas. Hard to really like cheering for a pattern sadist, but she's definitely the most fun character in the show.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wow, "Zechs Merquise" over Char, really?

Really?

Reeeaaaaallllllyyyy?

I think even you know that was the wrong choice. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Can you watch Soul Eater and not like Medusa?
Is...is this serious? You're not serious, right?

I don't think there has EVER been a character that I hated more than Medusa (and hated "in a good way", as in hated her because of her character and her actions and not because she's a badly written character or something like that).

In fact, I made a thread BECAUSE of her.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.326154-An-antagonist-that-you-absolutely-loathe

This thread is five freaking years old now and I STILL remember it strictly because of that *****. How in the hell could anyone watch that show and go "You know, I like you Medusa" is beyond me...

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Oh come on, Ramba Ral's way cooler than Char OR Zechs: his ass predicts romance.
Honorable mention to Buggy the Clown, because something something Pirate King we deserve, something something Pirate King we need. Also Team Rocket, for being the only characters in that show that actually overcome hardship and undergo character development.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I personally, think Heero is the most likable of the antagonists.

Sure, he's basically a prettier Bin Lawd-in, but towards the end he really does show his willingness to do the right thing...even if it's for the wrong reasons.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Lunncal said:

Really?

Reeeaaaaallllllyyyy?

I think even you know that was the wrong choice. I'm not mad, just disappointed.
How about Haman over them both? Haman stomped Char (something no one else had ever done) and even in her dying battle she held back half of her funnels in a 3-year old outclassed suit versus a demi god of a suit just so the fight against Judau would be FAIR. She scared Bright, and spent 2 whole series being a magnificent bastard.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
tippy2k2 said:
Can you watch Soul Eater and not like Medusa?
Is...is this serious? You're not serious, right?

I don't think there has EVER been a character that I hated more than Medusa (and hated "in a good way", as in hated her because of her character and her actions and not because she's a badly written character or something like that).

In fact, I made a thread BECAUSE of her.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.326154-An-antagonist-that-you-absolutely-loathe

This thread is five freaking years old now and I STILL remember it strictly because of that *****. How in the hell could anyone watch that show and go "You know, I like you Medusa" is beyond me...
I agree with you to an extent. There is something dangerously alluring about Medusa and the way she plays with her victims and is always one step ahead of the best, and three steps ahead of everyone else. That said, she gave birth to a child for the sole purpose of experimenting and torturing it. She is a world class narcissistic sociopath.

She has the ability to make the audience focus on her because of how interesting she is, a trait normally reserved for heroes. So I can see both sides.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
monkeymangler said:
Lunncal said:
How about Haman over them both? Haman stomped Char (something no one else had ever done) and even in her dying battle she held back half of her funnels in a 3-year old outclassed suit versus a demi god of a suit just so the fight against Judau would be FAIR. She scared Bright, and spent 2 whole series being a magnificent bastard.
Haman is undeniably badass, sure, she would have made a much better entry. Personally I'd still pick Char over her, but yeah, I can totally see where you're coming from. There's certainly a debate to be had there, at least.[footnote]The only real issue I have with her is the Qubely, that was one ugly looking mobile suit.[/footnote]

Honestly there's lots of reasonable characters he could have picked. There's Char Aznable, obviously, but also other acceptable greats like Edward Mass, Quattro Bajeena or even Casval Rem Deikun. The list is endless.

"Zechs Merquise", however, is just silly.

It's like if someone said their favourite cereal was "Cruncheos", an off-brand Cheerios knock off.

I can't respect that.

It must have felt wrong even to type.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Lunncal said:
monkeymangler said:
Lunncal said:
Haman is undeniably badass, sure, she would have made a much better entry. Personally I'd still pick Char over her, but yeah, I can totally see where you're coming from. There's certainly a debate to be had there, at least.[footnote]The only real issue I have with her is the Qubely, that was one ugly looking mobile suit.[/footnote]

Honestly there's lots of reasonable characters he could have picked. There's Char Aznable, obviously, but also other acceptable greats like Edward Mass, Quattro Bajeena or even Casval Rem Deikun. The list is endless.

"Zechs Merquise", however, is just silly.

It's like if someone said their favourite cereal was "Cruncheos", an off-brand Cheerios knock off.

I can't respect that.

It must have felt wrong even to type.
How would you feel about Full Frontal? Or Graham Aker?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Again with Cowboy Bebop!? The fuck heads name is Vicious. VICIOUS!! It's so stupid and there isn't anything to the guy.
I much prefer that weird immortal assassin thing compared to that tosser.

And as usual with anime topics, I don't agree with the rest. Actually, I liked the first Cell form because he was a creepy bug monster looking thing, instead your basic alien humanoid jerk, but that's about it.

From the original Hunter X Hunter I had a different interest in Hisoka, Tompa, Killua's whole family, The Spiders (mainly Lucifer) and The Bomber.

In Naruto (original and manga) I really like the Akatsuki for their differing personalities and because they have some of the most unique abilities I've seen out of all anime. Same goes for Orochimaru.

In FMA (not Brotherhood) I reckon the homunculus are very effective enemy's that always felt like they were on the move, as well as their master. And Scar, even though going in and out, left you asking which parts he did right.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Time to point out what's wrong with the List of 8! Woo-hoo! I always enjoy doing this...

And while a number of obvious errors have already been pointed out, I'll go ahead and point out that Kid Buu was the best villain from DBZ (assuming the cut-off for the series is prior to Battle of the Gods).

Cell was a pompous, unlikable prick. Too much Frieza in him, as it made him way too overconfident and braggadocios. No one likes such an egotistical dingus.

Kid Buu, on the other hand, is like honey badger: he gives no fucks. He fights with the uncontrollable, ultimate power of ADHD! Knowing full well that Goku and Vegeta can't do anything to stop him, he just takes a nap in the middle of the fight. He tanks all your best shots then beats the piss out of you, all while laughing his ass off at how futile your attempts to fight back are.

Not to mention that Kid Buu is the only villain that the heroes had to cheat in order to defeat...using the Dragon Balls mid-fight to give Goku a full-life heal. Without that, Kid Buu would have stuffed that Spirit Bomb right back down Goku's throat. :p

Nazulu said:
Again with Cowboy Bebop!? The fuck heads name is Vicious. VICIOUS!! It's so stupid and there isn't anything to the guy.
I much prefer that weird immortal assassin thing compared to that tosser.
Indeed, Pierrot le Fou was the best villain from that series.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
With such a diverse pool to choose only 8 from, disputes are inevitable as the sun rising. Sadly, not everyone has watched all the Gundam series' ever and would not be familiar with all the Char expies in the history of man.

Still a Cell fan though. If he hadn't turned his bid for universal domination into a televised tournament, we would never have been introduced to the character of Hercule 'Mark' Satan. And that would have been a pity.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Lunncal said:

Really?

Reeeaaaaallllllyyyy?

Kinda funny when you consider Zechs, on a basic level, is MSG Char, Quatro, and CCA Char condensed into one series.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Lunncal said:

Really?

Reeeaaaaallllllyyyy?

While I wouldn't have picked Zechs when there are plenty of other choices from Gundam (even from Wing I'd rather pick Treize, that classy bastard), but Char has never interested me that much. Maybe because Zeta was the first UC series I watched and Char was just... around... not doing much. I'd almost say Full Frontal makes a better Char than Char.

Also, Zechs has Brian Drummond ("FOOOOOOOLS!"). And Tallgeese & Epyon > anything Char ever piloted.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
GundamSentinel said:
Lunncal said:

Really?

Reeeaaaaallllllyyyy?

While I wouldn't have picked Zechs when there are plenty of other choices from Gundam (even from Wing I'd rather pick Treize, that classy bastard), but Char has never interested me that much. Maybe because Zeta was the first UC series I watched and Char was just... around... not doing much. I'd almost say Full Frontal makes a better Char than Char.

Also, Zechs has Brian Drummond ("FOOOOOOOLS!"). And Tallgeese & Epyon > anything Char ever piloted.
One: Haman Karn. Know her. Fear her.

Two: Sazabi would royally screw Epyon. In today's lesson, we learn why lacking a ranged weapon is truly unfortunate in the Gundam universe. Zero System and Newtype cancel each other out.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I nominate Attack on Titan's least explored but best antagonist,:
Annie Leonhart.

Atop of how we know virtually nothing about the people beyond the walls, Annie has been the only one to show regret for what she's done and for what has happened, even seeming to be implied that she doesn't want to be involved in the whole destroy humanity thing, but is forced to. So she's very intriguing, and one of the few characters I like.