8 Bethesda Games To Avoid

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Bethesda Games To Avoid

Today we look back at some of the biggest flops from a traditionally remarkable publisher. Bethesda may have created the beloved Elder Scrolls and Fallout but they can't all be as successful and great as those franchises. So let's all take a good long look at how Bethesda can't always be perfect.

Read Full Article

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, but the off brand TES games like Dawnstar and Shadowkey are obviously worth your time... no, wait.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Oy! You sir, leave Brink alone. The game itself was a gold mine of potential and there's a lot to like there. It was killed by lack of support on Bethesda's side. If it was turned into a F2P game, it could have a good place for itself. Fortunately, it's getting a spiritual successor in F2P shooter Dirty Bomb.
Starke said:
Yeah, but the off brand TES games like Dawnstar and Shadowkey are obviously worth your time... no, wait.
Oh, come on. Those are mobile games from 10+ years ago.
Captcha: moot point.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
'Shit I've only got 7... fuck it, lets put ESO on there, that won't generate a lot of angry comments...'

It Begins!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Have you even bothered to play ESO lately? I'm done defending it. Excuse me while I go back to playing it.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Does Mr. Dievendorf ever look at these threads? If not, is there someone out there who can please school him on the proper use of a comma? This is not a stylistic choice; this is wrong, wrong, wrong. And it keeps happening in every blasted gallery article. Someone should be embarrassed.

2006 saw the release of Bethesda's movie tie-in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow, this was by far one of the worst receptions that they have ever received for a game. Upon its release it was bashed by critics and fans alike, it was mainly because the game was just not executed well.
Both of these sentences contain a comma splice: the incorrect use of a comma between two independent clauses. In each case the comma should be replaced by a period, or possibly a semicolon.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
DrStrangelove said:
Bethesda may have created the beloved Elder Scrolls and Fallout but they can't all be as successful and great as those franchises.
Created Fallout?
Oh, puh-lease!
Rode the coattails, perhaps. :|

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ive just started the Elder Scrolls drinking game, where you take a shot every time "The Elder Scrolls" be mentioned.

I.

Am.

Quite.

Merry! :D

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, we seem to kinda disagree on 'Wet'. Yes it's clunky, yes it's visuals aren't up to standards but games shouldn't be judged on the graphics anyway. I really like this game. Atleast we have a game that's like Quintin's way of making movies.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RealRT said:
Starke said:
Yeah, but they're only a little older than the Star Trek titles and the PotC tie in. So there's no statute of limitations on terrible, it seems. Though Battlespire's absence is conspicuous.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Bethesda's Wet looked like it could have been an amazing game, its use of action was its only redeeming quality. Overall the game suffered from some serious graphics issues, they had been described as being rough and amateurish. They can't all be Skyrim or Fallout 3 but it would be nice to see some thing good come from this publisher besides those two iconic franchises.
Skyrim and Fallout 3 have graphics that are pretty amateurish too quite frankly. They just seem to get a free pass since they weren't quite as abysmal as Oblivion and Bethesda makes open world games. After all, who cares if they don't actually have any competent animators? Or artists? Or programmers?

You know, I think I'll just stop there so I'm not here all night.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Starke said:
RealRT said:
Starke said:
Yeah, but they're only a little older than the Star Trek titles and the PotC tie in. So there's no statute of limitations on terrible, it seems. Though Battlespire's absence is conspicuous.
They are both old AND for cell phones. If the former doesn't make it irrelevant enough, I think the latter definitely does.
s_h_a_d_o said:
DrStrangelove said:
Bethesda may have created the beloved Elder Scrolls and Fallout but they can't all be as successful and great as those franchises.
Created Fallout?
Oh, puh-lease!
Let's be frank here, while Fallout 1 and 2 are unquestionably superior to 3, THEY are riding its coattails, not the other way around.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RealRT said:
Starke said:
RealRT said:
Starke said:
They are both old AND for cell phones. If the former doesn't make it irrelevant enough, I think the latter definitely does.
It excuses terrible graphics, but, when you consider that I had a semi-functional source port of doom on my phone in 2005, the clunky design decisions, it doesn't excuse how meh the games themselves were, however. Otherwise you're saying all games before ~1993 were automatically crap, which isn't the case.

RealRT said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
DrStrangelove said:
Created Fallout?
Oh, puh-lease!
Let's be frank here, while Fallout 1 and 2 are unquestionably superior to 3, THEY are riding its coattails, not the other way around.
Yes, Fallout has been riding Fallout 3's coattails for 17 years now... no, wait Fallout 3 didn't come out in 1997...

Maybe you can say the shambling corpse of Interplay was limping along on Fallout 3's coattails. But the original game stands on it's own. The same for Fallout 2.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
teh_Canape said:
sometimes I'm feel like I'm the only dude in the planet who actually likes Brink
I liked it. I also finished both campaigns in a single free weekend and ran two characters to level cap. Which, kinda dulled my interest in playing it long term.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Yay for more blind hatred of ESO.

It's not a bad game guys! It's actually really fun if you give it a chance!

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
RealRT said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
DrStrangelove said:
Created Fallout?
Oh, puh-lease!
I'm sorry... what?

Regardless of your logical failing, the point I was actually making was that Bethesda were not the creators of the franchise.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Starke said:
It excuses terrible graphics, but, when you consider that I had a semi-functional source port of doom on my phone in 2005, the clunky design decisions, it doesn't excuse how meh the games themselves were, however. Otherwise you're saying all games before ~1993 were automatically crap, which isn't the case.
What I meant was, nobody remembers them and gives a damn about them. They weren't 60$ flops like, say, Rogue Warrior.

On Fallout:
Har-har-har. Really funny and clever, only not. I was talking purely from recognition standpoint (hence me noting that F1 and 2 are unquestionably superior to 3). Face it: before Fallout 3 was released, Fallout 1 and 2 were known and beloved only by a small cult of fans and hardcore WRPG enthusiasts. Not everywhere, of course, in some territories, like Russia, they were in nearly everyone's top 10 RPG list, but in the West? No way in hell. And if F3 was never released, Fallout would forever stay in the shadows, thanks in no small part to Interplay's attempts at bringing in a broader audience with those other two games. Nowadays it's a household name and a franchise that pushes tens of millions of copies worldwide.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
s_h_a_d_o said:
RealRT said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
DrStrangelove said:
Created Fallout?
Oh, puh-lease!
I'm sorry... what?

Regardless of your logical failing, the point I was actually making was that Bethesda were not the creators of the franchise.
My logic is perfectly sound, to quote myself
I was talking purely from recognition standpoint (hence me noting that F1 and 2 are unquestionably superior to 3). Face it: before Fallout 3 was released, Fallout 1 and 2 were known and beloved only by a small cult of fans and hardcore WRPG enthusiasts. Not everywhere, of course, in some territories, like Russia, they were in nearly everyone's top 10 RPG list, but in the West? No way in hell. And if F3 was never released, Fallout would forever stay in the shadows, thanks in no small part to Interplay's attempts at bringing in a broader audience with those other two games. Nowadays it's a household name and a franchise that pushes tens of millions of copies worldwide.
To say that 3 rode 1 and 2's coattails implies that it was popular only because 1 and 2 were and that's really not that case in any way, shape or form.