8 Cancelled Games We Still Want to Play

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
I recall reading about a pirate game circa... 2008 maybe? I don't remember its name, but it seemed like it would have been really good if it met expectations. It was an RPG that would have focused on naval combat, and included cool mythical elements. Damn, I wish I remembered more about it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Of those, Shenmue III is the only one that really bothers me.

To add to the list:

Megaman Legends 3
Megaman Universe
Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Silvanus said:
I was slightly afraid to see The Last Guardian on this list. It's still going to come out, damnit!
Exactly. We just need to have faith and keep believing.
Don't open that old wound, damnit! Now I'll just go eat all the wrong things and cry in a corner. :'(

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Never heard about most of them to tell the truth.
Except Starcraft Ghost, sadly. That would have been one hell of a game.
B.C. sounded interesting as well.

DKIII would have deserved a place on there as well.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
Of those, Shenmue III is the only one that really bothers me.

To add to the list:

Megaman Legends 3
Megaman Universe
Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun
LoK: Dead Sun was on my list as well. Just didn't have enough room for all of them.

Side note: to everyone who says Dungeon Keeper III - I couldn't put it on there without thinking about the mobile game, which made me violently ill.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
See, Shinji? The Last Guardian is happening. We just have to clap our hand man.

My favorite cancelled game is Sadness, for the Wii. A black and white survival horror game that never made it past a live-action trailer. But the concept looked intriguing.

Sadness was promoted as a unique and realistic survival horror game that would "surprise players," focusing on psychological horror rather than violence, containing "associations with narcolepsy, nyctophobia and paranoid schizophrenia." More notable was the announcement that the game would sport black-and-white visuals stylized as gothic horror.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffronw said:
Here's the crazy thing about Ghost. I spent two whole hours checking it out at E3 2005. Talked to Blizzard folks about it, played a demo, got into it. Then it went on hiatus, and then....nothing. No one knew it was officially cancelled until late last year.
I remember buying either a regular Xbox or 360 (can't remember which now) and the box had a picture for Ghost on it. I'd totally forgotten the game existed by then and seeing that made memories of wanting it gush back with the force of a tidal wave. Total disappointment it died on the vine.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The fact that Prey 2 got cancelled makes me sad. I look at the gameplay footage from a few years ago, and that game certainly had potential to impress me. That being said, if a game does get cancelled, there must've been something terribly wrong with it, so at least I can be happy that they canned it instead of releasing it. It is a really brave thing to do to just scrap a lot of work. I just hope that someone tries again some day.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
KOTOR3

Obsidian had plans for it, never got green lighted for it.

LucasArts started it, then it turned into The Force Unleashed.

Bioware started it, then it turned into an unsatisfactory MMO. (They can keep releasing Revan DLC all they want, I'm so sick of Revan. they ruined Revan and they especially ruined the Exile. MMO experience is completely different from a Single-Player Experience, and I really hate the MMO experience.)

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Ahh 1313, *Sniff* Let it go Ste, let it go. Holding onto that stuff will only make you bitter.

Also if only Mercenaries 3 could have been a thing, just so we could all forget 2 ever happened. I have the first one but it crashes after like 5/10 minutes. So much for the 350's backwards compatability.

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
"It was hard when we canceled Warcraft Adventures. It was hard when we canceled StarCraft Ghost. But it has always resulted in better-quality work."

Yes, yes... Like Destiny.

And before you say that Destiny was made by Bungie, Blizzard and Bungie are both employed (more like enslaved) by Activision. They get the same stupid marching orders.
Adventures and Ghost were both cancelled before the Activision merger.

("postponed", technically, in Ghost's case, but it amounts to the same thing)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Actually kinda' surprised Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade didn't make the list. Yeah, it technically hasn't been canceled, but we all know this game is never gonna see a release.

And to be honest, I had completely forgotten about Starcraft: Ghost. But now that you mention it, yeah, lets get a crappy Steam Greenlight on that!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ffronw said:
rayen020 said:
I still have an old game informer that has like a ten page article and in-depth preview of starcraft:ghost. makes me sad, i really wanted to play it, it looked really good. *le sigh*
Kinitawowi said:
I still want to see the Duke Nukem Forever that George Broussard originally conceived, not the thing that actually turned up.

Starcraft: Ghost spent so long as vapourware that it wasn't until now I realised it had actually been officially cancelled. Sad times.
Here's the crazy thing about Ghost. I spent two whole hours checking it out at E3 2005. Talked to Blizzard folks about it, played a demo, got into it. Then it went on hiatus, and then....nothing. No one knew it was officially cancelled until late last year.
you know, now that they are with activision they really should try and make the game. A starcraft set CoD wouldn't be too bad and at least we know that the shooting mechanics would work well.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Gutsripper said:
Surprised Dungeon Keeper III isn't on the list.

I still remember seeing the trailer for it in DK2.... I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.
-Dragmire- said:
Well, you could always play the... damnit, I can't even joke about it! That mobile piece of crap still pisses me off!

Yeah, I remember that trailer as well. Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.
Hey, at least we can comfort ourselves with the fact that DK is getting a spiritual successor in War for the Overworld [https://wftogame.com/].

Edit:... and this:

-Dragmire- said:
Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.
... is what happens when you quote someone without reading a post all the way through.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Maybe if we freeze Peter Molyneux for 30 years or so he could defrost at a time where technology has caught up with his ideas? Then we wouldn't have to worry about all the unfortunate broken promises, and game ideas being too large!

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Bethesda dropping Prey 2 was one of the reasons I ignore Bethesda announcements these days. I bought and played Prey just to get in the mindset. That was an interesting game and Prey 2 had demo (or gameplay) that looked pretty good. But lying Bethesda was more interested in breaking apart another developer studio than backing a good idea. The industry S.O.P. of getting a studio's IP rights by backing them, then dismissing their work by stating 'It doesn't meet our standards' and eventually finally admitting they cancelled it. A rotten business practice in an industry rife with them.

Now it's sad but funny as Bethesda and 'good idea' can only be used in ironic statements. Or as a punch line.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
just a tiny correction: Day 1 Studios only developed F.E.A.R 3. the first two games were developed by Monolith.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Mangod said:
Hey, at least we can comfort ourselves with the fact that DK is getting a spiritual successor in War for the Overworld [https://wftogame.com/].
-Dragmire- said:
Gutsripper said:
Surprised Dungeon Keeper III isn't on the list.

I still remember seeing the trailer for it in DK2.... I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.
Well, you could always play the... damnit, I can't even joke about it! That mobile piece of crap still pisses me off!

Yeah, I remember that trailer as well. Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.
Yeah I'm also keeping a close eye on War for the Overworld on steam.

I tried to play that game Dungeons a while back when it came out... it kinda looked like it might be the same as DK but it really wasn't.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Gutsripper said:
I tried to play that game Dungeons a while back when it came out... it kinda looked like it might be the same as DK but it really wasn't.
It wasn't Dungeon Keeper, for sure. But it was a nice little game, that tried really hard to be an homage to Dungeon Keeper. I rather enjoyed it.