8 Examples of DLC that Doesn't Suck

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The_Darkness said:
Yup - I can confirm this. The X360 copy of Enemy Within is a self-contained package - you don't need a copy of Enemy Unknown to play it. This was annoying for those of us who picked up the original, and then they put out an expansion pack at the price of a full-game...

On PC then the expansion pack requires X:EU, but the expansion pack is priced cheaper. Also, you can get the Long War mod on PC, which revamps and adds a LOT to an already awesome game.
This is good news...very good news! Apart from the deal i missed recently with Enemy Within due to to wanting Enemy Unknown first, but still...good news. The long war mod sounds interesting. Is it fan made?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Bindal said:
Admitedly, it IS a Zombie map and one of them has quite a lot of playtime value, so going with one in a 15$-bundle isn't wrong (it worked for Treyarch) and they DO have also a lot of work put into them, including new weapons, features and entire gameplay mechanics.
Just in this case, it seems they only rehashed the Treyarch Zombie mode in general and added Exo-Suits to it... not really enough of a change to justify the pricetag after their big tra-ra announcing it.
No unique, funny weapon. No hidden song. No map-unique gamemechanics. Just a mystery box (this time, as a 3D-Printer. Because FUTURE!) and Perks (this time as Exo-Suit Upgrades. Again, FUTURE!) against Zombies and a story-easter-egg. Not even pack-a-punch or a "Future"-equivalent.
And no future Kevin Spacey...not even as a zombie...with a jetpack!! Oh god who is responsible for not letting this happen? The potential is there but they just cannot be arsed :/

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The Tina Tina DLC was so good that it made me mad the rest of the game wasn't nearly as well made. I leveled new characters just for the pleasure of playing through Dragon Keep again.

Dragon Keep had perfect pace, was funny, and got you totally emotionally invested in the character of Tiny Tina so the ending was really meaningful. The quests and enemies were mechanically interesting, and the "spells" were a great addition to the game.

That and the intro "Smells like butts and dead people" line made me laugh so hard I nearly broke a rib.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I really enjoyed Point Lookout for Fallout 3. It has one of the biggest "I can't believe they did that" moments in the game for me.

HaWkE_N7

Mar 28, 2011
Expansions & DLC are the same thing so, yes, BFBC2 Vietnam is DLC.
See here for explanation;
http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-dlc-and-expansion-packs

The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles DLC was released both on disc and download. The more recent Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition comes with all the DLC already on disc.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Examples of DLC that Doesn't Suck

The Escapist community offers up their best examples of DLC that's worth checking out.

Read Full Article

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Pretty decent list. Instead of listing my faves though like the others already have, I'm gonna do something different and list some mods that SHOULD have come with the game as DLC, they're just THAT good.

1. Mystcraft - If any of you have been paying attention to my posts, you'll know I bang on about this one a lot, but I do it only because I consider this pretty much an essential part of Minecraft now. So, still recommending it.

2. Ballistic Weapons - For UT2004. Adds a FUCKTON of incredibly awesomely done weapons and custom-built easily configurable mechanics to go along with them. This mod really showed off what the UE2.5 could do. And on top of that, there are even MORE community made add-ons for it that add even MORE awesomely done weapons. And the maps that come with it are pretty great as well. Seriously. Check it out.

3. Perfected Doom 3 - What Doom 3 definitely should have been. This overhauls almost everything in Doom 3 in some way, small or great. Enemies are now more interesting. Graphics have been massively upgraded and run even BETTER than stock. No more having to whip out the flashlight for every single little thing. The difficulty has gotten an overhaul (it's harder) and your weapons pack a LOT more punch and functionality to compensate. Oh and every weapon has at very least two kinds of fire, although 3 is definitely the norm. FFS, the BFG has FIVE firemodes now instead of just the one, each one being utterly amazing on top of that. So if you ever felt like returning to Doom 3, look no further. This is, without a doubt, the definitive version of Doom 3.

4. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - Although it changes and adds other things, the main purpose of this mod is to delevel Oblivion almost, if not entirely. No more bandits walking around in stupid ass glass armor. No more lame loot. Honestly, I find Oblivion's leveling to be so bad that I think this mod is pretty much mandatory if you want to play Oblivion for anything more than just laughs. Having said that, it's pretty hard for beginners. Since a lot of enemies are now a deleveled threat, you'll be spending some time in the beginning just literally running away. Nevertheless, it's worth it and it makes each kill feel like a true victory.

5. Ziggy's Mod - Completely fixes the atrocious hand-holding of Far Cry 3. No more wall-hacks for you. No more super mini-map. No more brushing off bullets to the face. No more stupid AI. You wanna survive? You better learn some actual combat skills now, boyo, in true Far Cry 2 fashion. Although it's not all just removals at all. It also adds the essential and visceral ability to be able to takedown any enemy regardless of what they're doing or if they've noticed you. Now you may think this would be OP'd but not so. For when you do a takedown, you can still be easily shot. And getting shot at all is now much more of a problem. Also, the guns have been overhauled and given new attachments. Most of them have been buffed I believe. It also revamps the signature weapons, giving them more of a point. And finally, there's some quality-of-life improvements like removing the annoying humming in the menus. Now, whenever people talk to me about Far Cry 3, I can't help but ignore the base game entirely in favor of the Ziggy's Mod version

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
While I enjoyed it, if you are going to get one Bioshock DLC, get Minerva's Den instead of Burial at Sea.

BaS was interesting and added some interesting mechanics, but it was buggy (it was released shortly after Take Two announced they were disbanding the Bioshock studio, so good luck getting it patched), it had some pretty awful copouts about the story of Infinite, and I wasn't a fan of how they decided to make good on their promise of two pieces of DLC by taking one and spliting it into 2 releases.

By contrast, Minerva's Den is like a compressed version of Bioshock 2, with a story that was, for the most part, better integrated to the series than the main game... which works great for me, because the worst issue I had with 2 was that it was too long and repetitive for its own good.

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
Towerfall Ascension Dark World.

Added loads to the game and very reasonably priced.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
this old thread refurbished almost made me quote myself.

also unless there is something I don't understand, that "thank tank" line needs fixed

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Lair of the Shadowbroker depends hugely on the player's like of Liara. If you do like her, it's a fun romp with another member of your old crew.

If you aren't a fan though, it's a slog through overlong shooting galleries.

ffronw said:
Sure, it was a fun little lark to play through, but it was so out of place in that story. No one really believes that Shepard and his crew would stop on the way to the end of the world for a party, right?
I feel that it was designed to be out of place. It was Bioware saying "hey, we really do remember how to write those characters you love."

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ffronw said:
Sure, it was a fun little lark to play through, but it was so out of place in that story. No one really believes that Shepard and his crew would stop on the way to the end of the world for a party, right?
Hey, the galaxy is in danger, but let's help a grizzled war mercenary win a plushie toy from a claw game instead.

(For the NV entry, you have Thank Tank, instead of Think Tank)

OT; Back when DLC was called an Expansion Pack, there was a game called Red Alert 2. It's expansion was called Yuri's Revenge. The former Soviet Psyker, Yuri, tries to use a time machine to conquer the world, but is sent back to prehistoric times and is eaten by a dinosaur.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
votemarvel said:
Lair of the Shadowbroker depends hugely on the player's like of Liara. If you do like her, it's a fun romp with another member of your old crew.

Now's a bad time to mention how Dr. T'Soni was my one and only romance pick for the entire trilogy, isn't it?

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
American Tanker said:
votemarvel said:

Now's a bad time to mention how Dr. T'Soni was my one and only romance pick for the entire trilogy, isn't it?
Not at all. Liara was my romance option for the first run through the trilogy. Although I did take some comfort from Jacob before going through the Omega 4 relay on that first run.

It's a shame that Liara is the only first game romance that feels in anyway complete.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm going to do something that puts me in the minority I'm sure, but I didn't really like The Last of Us DLC, which is saying something because I played the ever-loving daylights out of that game.

It's just, I feel that it told the wrong story. It spent the majority of it focusing on Ellie and Riley's relationship--which was great, don't get me wrong--but we already knew how that was going to end. What we didn't know, and still don't to this day, is how Ellie got in touch with the Fireflies.

I wanted to see that moment where she realizes that she's going to be fine and her friend isn't. I wanted to see what she chose to do, leave or put her friend down. I wanted to see this scared, broken little girl who has just lost the last family pull herself together as she tries to find the one source of hope that her friend gave her: this group of freedom fighters called Fireflies.
That's the story I think the DLC should have told. You could have the first part be what we already had--two girls reigniting a friendship and possibly something more--but I was so let down that we didn't get to see what happened between then and Ellie ending up with the Fireflies.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
008Zulu said:
ffronw said:
Hey, the galaxy is in danger, but let's help a grizzled war mercenary win a plushie toy from a claw game instead.
I don't know what you're complaining about. The Citadel takes place after the end of the game. Shepard and her crew defeated the Reapers, and they were just trying to relax after a galaxy-changing mission.
Yes, that is what happened. Totally. Certainly.
Shut up, it did! I am not in denial, you are!
La la la, I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!!!

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
"Choosing between these two was so hard, I decided we'd call it a draw and put them both on here. "

Umm, what? You outright said that Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep was "my favorite DLC of all time." Stands to reason then that that's the superior DLC lol (of which it is, by the way).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
For NV, yeah I'd have to give it to OWB. Lonesome Road was so good... but OWB really added just a little bit more in the way of content to the overall game.

And Borderlands 2, I agree that the Tiny Tina DLC was really good. Actually its the best content in an entire game that's pretty weak and subpar. But it disqualifies itself from being called good for one reason. It wasn't a part of the season pass. All DLC is locked behind a pay wall, but Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep locked its season pass customers behind a pay wall. That's doubling down on a dick move.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
You know, since you're reposting them, you COULD take the time and edit Shivering Isles in it. Sure tops things like Lair of the Shadow Broker (Liara's back!.. I never wanted her back) and the New Vegas DLCs.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
I'm missing the Witcher3 DLCs! Not the hair, outfits and stuff but Hearts of Stone and Blood&Wine!