8 Games with Great Original Lore

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

Plenty of videogames have stories, but some games get their lore really right, like these eight picks from our awesome community.

Read Full Article

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
No Dragon Age? That's a damn shame, I'd say it's a lot more rich and interesting than Mass Effect's.

Oct 22, 2011
Almost thought you'd forgot to put Fallout there*phew*. And more props for Thief, although you should probably illustrate it with artwork/scrnshot from previous "Thieves", rather than from a reboot that scrapes Hammerites and Pagans and almost everything that was cool in lore of original series.

ki11joyace

Nov 16, 2014
I always thought Elder Scrolls was a bit too similar to the Tolkien/D&D model for fantasy; elves, dark elves, dwarves, animal race, etc. with the personality of the races not being too original compared to other fantasy worlds. There is a ton of lore though, so the series does win out in that respect.

I'd also recommend Dungeon of the Endless > Endless Legend > Endless space (that's the chronological order of the games' stories) for interesting original lore. Endless Legend does great job of taking fantasy and scifi and mixing them up quite a bit.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
>I was mentioned in this article
Never thought I would see that happen.

Clura said:
There seems to be a mistake in the original article... I can't find the entry about Legacy of Kain for some reason.
Legacy of Kain is D&D m8.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Neato, I forgot you got the ideas for some of these from forum topics. Anyway just an fyi but the setting for the original Thief series and that of the new Thief game (Where that picture is from) are different.

Clura

Aug 5, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
Are you sure about that? Also, Warcraft is basically Warhammer... /shrug

Actually, after googling it I call shenanigans on the Legacy of Kain/D&D claim.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Warcraft's lore has been hacked apart and glued back together so many times, with retconns as far as the eye can see. Can it really count as lore when they keep changing it every 3 months?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Clura said:
Are you sure about that? Also, Warcraft is basically Warhammer... /shrug

Actually, after googling it I call shenanigans on the Legacy of Kain/D&D claim.
Yeah, I was thinking of Planescape torment.

I don't know why, but I've always got the two confused for some reason

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffronw said:

Plenty of videogames have stories, but some games get their lore really right, like these eight picks from our awesome community.

Read Full Article
Once again, I have to say its nice to have a CM who actually interacts with the community at large as if we actually, y'know exist rather than buzz about and annoy like flies.

OT: Legacy of Kain is also a favorite of mine mentioned earlier in the thread, but the lore seems to change as the games progress due to mucking about in the timestream so its hard to eh get a handle on exactly what the lore really is.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
ki11joyace said:
I always thought Elder Scrolls was a bit too similar to the Tolkien/D&D model for fantasy; elves, dark elves, dwarves, animal race, etc. with the personality of the races not being too original compared to other fantasy worlds. There is a ton of lore though, so the series does win out in that respect.
Well, to me the elements that ARE unique about TES like the nature of Aedra and Daedra or the fact that orcs are not your generic baddies and are instead a character race just like any other or the cosmology of Nirn only stand out more in contrast to the traditional high fantasy stuff.
SajuukKhar said:
>I was mentioned in this article
Never thought I would see that happen.

Clura said:
There seems to be a mistake in the original article... I can't find the entry about Legacy of Kain for some reason.
Since bloody when?! The only thing in common that LoK has with D&D is the fact that it's medieval fantasy. That's it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fallout's lore goes bast the 23rd century to the 30th? And goes as far back as the 1600s? I was under the impression that it was in the early 1900s that the point of divergence occurred.

Plus, there are 6 games, not 5, though we don't talk about that other one (unless it's to remind fans who are inexplicably upset over Bethesda buying the IP why they should be grateful)

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
1) Why is Thief greatness illustrated by art for that shitty "reboot"?
2) Mass Effect lore is a huge compilation of ripoffs built around a title effect which actually has no meaning for the story and could be actually absent without any consequences. It's not a great lore by any measure.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Zontar said:
Fallout's lore goes bast the 23rd century to the 30th? And goes as far back as the 1600s? I was under the impression that it was in the early 1900s that the point of divergence occurred.

Plus, there are 6 games, not 5, though we don't talk about that other one (unless it's to remind fans who are inexplicably upset over Bethesda buying the IP why they should be grateful)
The 1600 are Point Lookout being discovered and the Mothership Zeta abducting people. Other than that its all in the late 40s/50s that the split happened according to the wiki. Also the 30th century is for the Big MT in Old World Blues if you installed 3 songs into the talking Jukebox.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
There's one series you neglected to mention. Pokemon. There are tonnes of little tit bits of lore scattered throughout the series, from the dialogue of NPCs to the storybooks of Canalave library, lore is everywhere if you wish to look.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
World of Warcraft? You said world of warcraft but not guild wars?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I can't agree with Warcraft having great lore after all the dreadful crap that happens in World of Warcraft. Up until that point it was really good, but then they just completely lost the plot, and for me it actually tainted my memory of the series as a whole. Really glad you mentioned Myth though, that game had some really engaging lore.

Other game worlds to consider include:
- The Old Republic: Draws on some of the Star Wars lore but by setting it in a completely different age has the chance to write an entirely new set of history, social structures, conflicts and technology.
-Alpha Centauri: The game's lore guides the decisions of the AI and provides context to your 4x gameplay.
-Deus Ex: The complete history behind the technology, organisations and characters is very deeply fleshed out.
Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age: Standard Bioware backstory is overflowing with great lore.