8 Great Mechs in Media

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
METAL GEAR?! Damn it, man. You missed a few important ones I think. Oh well. Rex says hi.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ed130 said:
Worgen said:
Ed130 said:
I don't even watch Gundam (eastern mechs are always to floaty for me and yes I know the excuse reasoning) and I find no mention of them to be odd.

And to have no No Battletech/Mechwarrior... Why? With 40k Titan's even I have to admit they are obscure but still...

The Hawken image could have been better as well.

Worgen said:
There are too many cool mechs to just to a 8 mech list. Where are the pony mechs?

...What.
What? You don't think magical talking horses get giant robots? Racist. :p
I've never seen those designs before, and no I didn't think the MLP universe needed battlemechs.

Apparently I was wrong.
Keep in mind, they have already had to fight an

Having a bit extra for the next threat might not be a bad idea.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Lost Planet 3 is the biggest case of bias towards recent releases I've seen. Previous LP games had better mechs and they're still not really top shelf mechs.

Arnoxthe1 said:
Yep, there's a distinct lack of Mad Cat in this list.

For SHAME I SAY!
That thing is really iconic as well, you'll see Timberwolf knockoffs in a lot of media, I think the most recent one I've seen was a very clearly unlicensed copy in a Girl Fight quicklook. It's also what you get when you input "mech" into Scribblenauts.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
KDR_11k said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Yep, there's a distinct lack of Mad Cat in this list.

For SHAME I SAY!
That thing is really iconic as well, you'll see Timberwolf knockoffs in a lot of media, I think the most recent one I've seen was a very clearly unlicensed copy in a Girl Fight quicklook. It's also what you get when you input "mech" into Scribblenauts.
Even Battletech has Timberwolf knockoffs for its own Timberwolf.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rakshasa

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
No love for Macross?
It had mechs with 3 transform states.
Battle Tech wound up stealing ALL OF THEM.
And the bad guy mechs too.

Yeah this mech list is crap.
It has mechs that haven't been released and misses out on massive amounts of mech history.
As stated BattleTech is a glaring omission.
Also Evangelion!

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
The amount of rude in this thread is astonishing. It's eight great mechs, not TEH BEST MECHS OF ALL THE MECHS. There's no call to say the list is "crap."

Behave yourselves.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Vote me in for Battletech. Madcat, Atlas, Marauder (Unseen), Catapult...

Robotech? No?

Hmmm...

Evangelion?

Nope.

List needs work. Could have been easily ten.

EDIT!

Oh, yeah,....

URBANMECH! Or should I say... UBERMECH!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

I swear, I've posted that link in a half-dozen different places.

Also, revenge of the edit!

MechWarrior Online Launch Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea3spOtjLmI

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Hero of Lime said:
Needs more Gundam Gundammit!

My personal favorite, Deathscythe!

I know right a great mech list and not a single Mobile Suit WTF.
Also Deathscythe is one of my favorites to.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
JonB said:
The amount of rude in this thread is astonishing. It's eight great mechs, not TEH BEST MECHS OF ALL THE MECHS. There's no call to say the list is "crap."

Behave yourselves.
People just wanted to see the mechs they love on there. Me, I kinda agree, there could've been some even greater mechs than some of the ones listed. It's not a bad list at all though, it's just... Not what most people expected

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Aetheora said:
The said:
No Megas XLR? What have you done?
This, you guys. THIS had to be on here, at the very least
I mean... chicks do dig giant robots... that giant robot being MEGAS!!!

And no Gurren Lagann? Not even mecha's newcomer Gypsy Danger?! JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY ARE?!
This list is heresy! Blargh complain blargh!

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
JonB said:

Behave yourselves.
Aside from killing time what's the point of making the list then if not to expose people to obscure (and not really in a good way) mechs.

Might as well make a list of "eight great orange sodas" since there's dozens of them out there. Won't go so far as to say the list is crap, but it's severely lacking.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
8 Great Mechs in Media

Sometimes there are mechanized weapons that people can pilot, this gallery is about such things. So hop into a 'mech and make sure not to overheat.

Read Full Article

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
My Top 8 Would've been
1: RX-78-2 - Yes, there are plenty of cooler (and weirder) Gundams that come afterward.
2: Zaku II - Yeah.... I'm a "Space Nazi Sympathizer".... Actually I chose this one as it's the MS piloted by Char when he fought against the RX-78-2.... I have other choices but their pilots were killed.
3: Megas XLR - The best giant robot parody I've ever seen. It even parodied Gundam in its last episode.
4: That giant robot from District 9 because it reminds me of the enemies in Megas XLR.
5: Titan Maximum - Yes its a parody of Voltron. Yes Megas XLR already parodied Voltron. No, Voltron isn't on my list.
6: RPI-11 Glasgow - Especially since Kallen Kouzuki is one of my favorite Mecha Pilots who just so happens to be female.
7: Nirvash Type Zero - Actually in general I liked Eureka 7 for its surf board flying robots.
8: Future GPX Cyber Formuala - Well, I vaguely remember this show. I probably forgot about it because Code Geass is way better.
9: Numidium - Oh no. How dare there be a 9th. That's what you're probably thinking if you backed the Thalmor who were stated to be committing genocide on Wood Elves. To you I say the freedom of religion requires the freedom from religion. Oh, and may Talos be with you.

My only dislike is it feels like the fight would be the same if they were action figures. I've grown to like this fight so much more because its more tragic.
*Edit*
I completely forgot about Steel Battalion (Line of Contact). You know that one with the Giant Expensive Controller for The Original Xbox. Yeah, all those other Mecha Games will Never, EVER be this awesome.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I've always maintained that Mechs are an utterly stupid form of weapon, and so the only ones I'm willing to tolerate are the AT-ST and AT-AT from Star wars, if only because the films don't shy away from the elephant in the room and show how ludicrously vulnerable they are to assaults on their legs.

I will agree that the Mad Cat deserves a spot on the list though. I've never played a single Mechwarrior game (or any mech game outside perhaps Battlefront if that counts) and even I find that design to be absolutely instantly recognisable from it's bold as brass singular focus on the box of Mechwarrior 2 back in the day.

plus, that game engine... y'know... gave us Interstate '76 so how can I complain?