8 Great Mechs in Media

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
While I admit that mechanized walkers are cool, I just don't see them being more useful than a tracked or wheeled vehicle at the end of the day. The lower profile afforded by wheeled and tracked designs makes them less liable to being tipped over and immobilized in that manner, as well as making them harder targets to spot, let alone hit. Additionally, the more stable firing platform allows for wheeled and especially tracked vehicles to carry heavier weapons that have more recoil.

Really, the only time I'd see a mechanized walker as more useful than a conventional tank or APC is in either urban or mountainous terrain. Maybe forests and jungles as well. This only because of their lateral mobility. As such, I don't think mechanized walker units would ever be the backbone of any armed force; they'd see use as specialized mountain/jungle/urban fire support units directly attached to infantry squads.

Ultimately, something similar to Lost Planet's "Vital Suits" is what I see being the most likely form of mechanized walker to see use in an actual military. They'd likely stand no more than twice the height of the infantry they'd support, armed with weapons that would normally be crew-served, like heavy machine guns or maybe auto-cannons. Probably some manner of rockets or missiles as well, in case it runs into enemy armor and has to keep it from attacking the infantry it's assigned to.

And I didn't even mention the issues with complexity or maintenance...
[hr]
I wonder: Did the Escapist ever do a thing on fictional tanks? Or did they only ever do mechs?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Mechs operate pretty much off of rule of cool and maybe the intimidation factor. But, yes, as other have said, Mechs have no real advantages over tanks or other AFV/IFV. That's not even mentioning the sheer amount of R+D required to make one that would be not only combat viable, not to mention scaling up for mass production and it just not worth the cost.

Hell, the Germans tried scaling up normal tanks during WW2(with plans for huge monstrosities such as the MAUS and RATTE tanks) and found it wasn't worth the cost.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Oh look, yet ANOTHER 5 year old post recycled to mask the complete lack of Escapist original content.

Is it really that hard to find people to post pieces to a website these days? Hell I'd do it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Actually no, wait, there is one mech in particular that has earned it's place in media- but it's gotta be this particular version- and relevant only for being pitted against turn-of-the-20th-century tech (and still losing a few along the way anyway because mechs are so dumb)

And that shriek of theirs, first revealed in 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine'.... shudder...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Squilookle said:
Actually no, wait, there is one mech in particular that has earned it's place in media- but it's gotta be this particular version- and relevant only for being pitted against turn-of-the-20th-century tech (and still losing a few along the way anyway because mechs are so dumb)

And that shriek of theirs, first revealed in 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine'.... shudder...

Damnit! You had to post that and remind me that the Thunderchild never seems to make it into any adaptation other then the Musical(despite being the kind of thing Hollywood would love).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Squilookle said:

Damnit! You had to post that and remind me that the Thunderchild never seems to make it into any adaptation other then the Musical(despite being the kind of thing Hollywood would love).
Right? I mean what the hell Hollywood- what's not to love about a cruiser steaming towards alien machines at full speed, blasting its cannons and giving the crowds on the shore a brief spot of hope as it blows a tripod to smithereens before falling victim to the heat-ray and sinking spectacularly in a cloud of mist and molten metal?

Actually maybe that's it. According to Hollywood, alien invasions have to be invincible and proceed completely unopposed right up until the decisive moment at the finale. having small victories along the way might confuse audiences... can't have that now...