8 JRPGs Better Than Final Fantasy 7

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
So much console, so little PC. :(

Is there any really good JRPG that a PC gamer can get (without needing to use emulation, which is pretty dicey both technically and legally)? I've always been an RPG fan, from the old D&D games to the likes of "Fallout" and "Elder Scrolls". JRPGs are something that's missing from my experience.
FF7 and 8 and 3 are on Steam. All are very good.

FFXIV if that counts is also on steam, and as somebody else mentioned there's a whole mound but not many of em I've played.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Some games I would have listed would be:

Phantasy Star IV because
Alys' death was way more heart-rending than Aeriths's
I'd just come here to say the same thing. I loved this game and played it over and over. I took it so personally... Hows no one mentioned Secret of Mana or Shining Force though? Both absolutely ooze charecter and charm and are begging for HD remakes.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
bjj hero said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Some games I would have listed would be:

Phantasy Star IV because
Alys' death was way more heart-rending than Aeriths's
I'd just come here to say the same thing. I loved this game and played it over and over. I took it so personally... Hows no one mentioned Secret of Mana or Shining Force though? Both absolutely ooze charecter and charm and are begging for HD remakes.
The Seiken Densetsu series I'd place more in the action-adventure genre along with Legend of Zelda than in the RPG genre. And Shining Force is Strategy RPG, so if you're going to count that then Final Fantasy Tactics becomes Best RPG of the Always.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I'd like to give the list a shot too.
(Not in order of my preferences)

1.Grandia 2

2.FF XII (Yep and if you want to fight about the fact it's amazing @Neronium: has my back)

3. Wild arms

4. Valkyrie profile

5. Various Tales games (They're all the same but good at what they do)

6. Parasite Eve

7. Breath of fire IV (PLAY THIS GAME!)

8. trails in the sky

I don't know if you'd count Alundra, Nier, or valkyria chronicles in the list but they'd be there instead of a few.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
So is it just the "Cool thing" to shit on FFVII now? Just because it was popular?

Yea its not the best FF but its a damn good one, and definitely one of the most iconic.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
I'll have to pick up some of those games on that list and give them a shot.

No Breath of Fire though...I keep hoping to see that series on lists like this. I guess its fanbase has really dwindled since the PS1 days. A real shame, that series had such charm.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
The White Hunter said:
Final Fantasy XII
Ahahaha, really? FF12: the shiny game with not a single likeable character, plot so boring it has no twists a la ff8, no "holy shit did he really do that" moments a la ff7, terrible sluggish combat that prefers to involve the player as little as possible, across-the-board terrible voice acting (with notable mentions to both Vayne and Larsa Solidor, who were the only two VAs to not make me want to cough up blood), a mediocre upgrade system not on par with even ffx's bloated mess of a grid? Come on, man. Even comparing the combat systems *alone* ff7 blows it out of the water. Materia allowed a mind-boggling amount of freedom in terms of individual and team builds, and TBC was at its peak during that era. Ditching TBC entirely for a world-map-monster-fighting-arena with massive cooldowns between abilities was a huge joke, and severely lowered the game's fun factor. Yahtzee likes to rail on turn-based combat a lot, but when you replace it with a system EVEN MORE BORING, you have failed on a whole new level.

FF12 was very superficial. It looked nice (sort of, ps2 etc), and had a few "wow" moments - the main one for me was Vayne's speech in Rabanastre. His voice acting combined with his animated motions were nearly flawless, and I felt like I was being lied to by an actual politician. A+ job on that cutscene. The entire rest of the game, however, was far worse. It opened with an "epic" story about war between nations, the heroic sacrifice of a noble for his country after just getting married, etc and then... it scales down to absolute joke level, with vaan the "why-am-I-even-here" (only saved from the label of NPC because, yknow, youre forced to control him) and penelo the "vaan wasn't interesting enough to be alone, so here I am to follow him around doing nothing." It takes *hours* to meet actually interesting characters, and dozens of hours to get to a point where the actual interesting bits of the story intersect with vaan's quest to be the blandest protagonist alive.

Then the game was marred with entire sections of really repetitive, boring and grindy filler material. Pretty much everything early on around Rabanastre, the entire trip to Bhujerba, etc. #1 most annoying section is easily the village of the bunnygirls, all of whom have ridiculously obnoxious accents, and because Fran is one of them (and shares their fucking obnoxious accent) she gets a lot of screen time to run around being retarded. I don't mind fanservice females being added in just to get ass shots (I mean, Miranda Lawson even got some backstory behind her fabulous ass) but damn, that bunny village took entirely too long.

After 20-30 hours sunk into that game, I put it down and never returned. I was maybe halfway into some jungle somewhere, on a trek from someplace where we had done nothing for far too long, running around doing nothing in the jungle for far too long, to go to a place where we'd inevitably do nothing for far too long. The game had simply become too painful to continue playing. The one-dimensional characters with stock archetype backstories, the annoying voice acting, the lackluster plot that took entirely too long to kick in, the sluggish, disengaging combat system and the lack of airship all combined to make the first Final Fantasy game I could simply not finish. Haven't played anything after since - watched Let's Plays of Final Corridor 13: Linear Corridor Exploration and said "welp, definitely dodged a bullet there." But honestly? 12 wasn't much better. You get shepherded around boring areas for boring reasons, going through a constantly immersion-breaking game simply to get to the end.

FF12 was surprising to me. After having played every previous final fantasy, even the "basic" simple ones like ff1 and ff3 which hardly had a plot at all, I couldn't imagine getting most of the way through one and just not caring to end it. They were too engrossing for me to just "quit," y'know? Then the later installments put in great story and plot hooks - even Kefka "I'm totally joker but don't tell anyone I don't want a lawsuit here" Palazzo actually *showed you reasons to hate him* on screen. It wasn't told to you after the fact, it wasn't assumed you would hate him simply because he was the bad guy, you SAW what he did. Sephiroth's now-famous scene with Aeris, combined with all the other backstory concerning him and Cloud, resulted in a nearly flawless build-up to a final confrontation. 8's greatest weakness, by far, was its story; after FF6 and FF7 knocked it out of the park, 8 was pretty fucking weak in comparison, with the actual villain not revealed until well past halfway into the game. But the rest of the game was still great! The GF/junction system afforded just as much freedom for builds as FF7's materia, the triple triad game was a great timesink, and the non-Rinoa characters were all pretty great (Rinoa was about as annoying as Fran though).

But compare those stories to 12. What does Vayne really *do* to make you hate him? By the time the story's even begun, your country lost. Most of the "atrocities" are committed by judges or other members of Archadia. The most shocking thing Vayne does is kill his own high council (all bad guys, to the player) to prevent a coup. Does that make me hate him? Na... not really. It's a logical step. Vayne is basically presented as a calm, collected militant leader and that course of action fits in perfectly. Then, out of character, he goes banana nut-butters and tries to re-start the war he already won, but before he can really do anything else, you kill him. #welp?

Kefka literally destroys the entire planet, scorches the continents with a magical laserbeam from atop his god-fortress. Sephiroth emotionally manipulates the majority of the party throughout 7 to his ends, even exerting limited mind control via Jenova cells to get what he wants several times. That and "the aeris scene" mark him as the clear villain, and gives every character in the party reason to hate him and work against him. 12 doesn't have... any of that, really. Ashe and Basch have motive, but the rest... don't, outside of alliances of convenience. When those kind of conflicts become seriously lethal, most of that party would have split, Balthier included. I won't even get into all the problems presented by having Vaan exist at all, let alone be the "focus" of the story, despite the actual story revolving around Ashe. It was a disjointed, chaotic mess.

Anyway... na. 12 was nothing on 7. 12 was nothing on 6 or 8 or 9. I'd posit it was worse than 10, even, given 10's fairly coherent anti-established-religion plot. With some work making the characters, both good and bad, a little deeper and with meaningful histories, I could have totally dug 12. But since that didn't happen... the end product was a Final Fantasy game so boring I couldn't even finish. A first for the series. That's something, at least?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Middle_Index said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I actually think Final Fantasy VII has managed to become so over-rated it's now under-rated.
great point
I like to refer to it as "The Insecure Contrarian Effect"; basically something becomes so popular that people try to act like it's overrated in order to sound "daring"...only to create a clique that gets to big or vocal that suddenly they realize all they did was create another opinion that might be overrated and thus have to find another clique to form. Seriously, we can also say that FFVI is said to be so underrated it's now overrated thus defeating the purpose of the initial thought forming in the first place.

VII is the best FF and is still the great Japanese RPG of all time. And I can say that comfortably due to it reaching iconic status and still being thought of as the benchmark for story, characters, and setting even seventeen years after its release. So, this is what I propose: do not make a list of games in order to put down another, that's just such a waste of time. Furthermore, I MIGHT give this list a bit of leeway if its choices weren't so on the nose. Anyone worth their salt already knows of Xenogears, Chrono, Mario RPG, Arcadia, Persona, etc. The only oddball is Front Mission 3. Where's Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Odin Sphere, Lunar, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Threads of Fate, Radiata Stories, Radiant Historia, Saga Frontier, Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle, Baten Kaitos, Shining Force, Tales of, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star, Vagrant Story, Etrian Odyssey, or any of the Nippon Ichi games? Going from "top 1%" to "top 2%" of the names to know in RPGs isn't really radical nor is it really promoting the idea of examining truly lesser known titles.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I loved Chrono Trigger, and hated what they did in the sequel Chrono Cross. That is just a game that shouldn't have seen the light of day.
Additionally, no Breath of Fire 3? That game should easily be in that list....twice.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Aiddon said:
Middle_Index said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I actually think Final Fantasy VII has managed to become so over-rated it's now under-rated.
great point
I like to refer to it as "The Insecure Contrarian Effect"; basically something becomes so popular that people try to act like it's overrated in order to sound "daring"...only to create a clique that gets to big or vocal that suddenly they realize all they did was create another opinion that might be overrated and thus have to find another clique to form. Seriously, we can also say that FFVI is said to be so underrated it's now overrated thus defeating the purpose of the initial thought forming in the first place.

VII is the best FF and is still the great Japanese RPG of all time. And I can say that comfortably due to it reaching iconic status and still being thought of as the benchmark for story, characters, and setting even seventeen years after its release. So, this is what I propose: do not make a list of games in order to put down another, that's just such a waste of time. Furthermore, I MIGHT give this list a bit of leeway if its choices weren't so on the nose. Anyone worth their salt already knows of Xenogears, Chrono, Mario RPG, Arcadia, Persona, etc. The only oddball is Front Mission 3. Where's Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Odin Sphere, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Threads of Fate, Radiata Stories, Radiant Historia, Saga Frontier, Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle, Baten Kaitos, Shining Force, Tales of, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Valkyria Chronicles, Etrian Odyssey, or any of the Nippon Ichi games? Going from "top 1%" to "top 2%" of the names to know in RPGs isn't really radical nor is it really promoting the idea of examining truly lesser known titles.
I agree almost 100% with a few minor exceptions in the games department (some I might have added or taken out since I didn't play/enjoy a few that you listed).

Okay, I love Final Fantasy 7. It's easily one of my all time favorite game, if not my all time favorite game. Part of that is that it was the first Final Fantasy I ever really played and it's the first time I played a game that really had story, characters, and an evolving plot. Prior to that I had mostly played games like Sonic, Earthworm Jim, or Comix Zone to name a few. Great games in their own rights, but Final Fantasy 7 made me realize that games could have an actual story and character development.

So, maybe someone tells me that I am looking back on FF7 with rose colored glasses. If I played it again, I might not think it was so good. Well, I play FF7 regularly. And, while the graphics didn't age well, I always enjoy it.

Here's the thing. I also love games like Suikoden 2, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears, and many many others. I even revisit many of them on occasion. Without Final Fantasy 7, I may never have known the love for RPGs that I do now. And while many of them are great, I would be unlikely to name any of them as "better" or "worse" than Final Fantasy 7. This doesn't have to be a competition. We can enjoy many games.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Tales of Symphonia deserves recognition here as well.

I consider it superior to FF7 but of course it's all about personal preference. Easily among my favorite all time RPGS (not just JRPGS). It's got some excellent voice acting, a traditional basic story that's still interesting to experience. Some fantastically memorable characters and an excellent combat system.

As for FF7 itself...I only ever considered it a decent entry in the franchise even at the height of it's popularity. Below are how I'd rank the FF series of the ones I've played.

1) FF 6
2) FF 4
3) FF 1
4) FF 13
5) FF 11
6) FF 10
7) FF 7

A highly debatable list to be sure but that's how I feel. Note: I've never played FF9 or Lightning Returns. FF9 seems like it would be right up my alley and I pray they release it on steam one of these years.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I think i've seen FF9 mentioned once in the comments, for shame.

Also, Eternal Sonata, that was how to do real time combat FF12.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Wow. Whats with the FFVII hate?

Half those games owe their success to FFVII's success in making JRPGs mainstream. One of them is not a JRPG (Front Mission 3). There are those that I think are probably better than FFVII but I don't see a need to create a topic to bash the poor thing yet again. Also, important to note is that your list is almost completely comprised of Square games. You need to look at some titles from other companies to see what other great games lie around.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Well, personally I prefer FFVII to all those games, although many of them are certainly on the same level. But that's just me, I'm just a huge fan of FF in general. All good, woo for opinions :)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*Reads*
No love for Fire Emblem?
Or are you just limiting yourself to games that came out around FFVII?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FoolKiller said:
Wow. Whats with the FFVII hate?

Half those games owe their success to FFVII's success in making JRPGs mainstream. One of them is not a JRPG (Front Mission 3). There are those that I think are probably better than FFVII but I don't see a need to create a topic to bash the poor thing yet again. Also, important to note is that your list is almost completely comprised of Square games. You need to look at some titles from other companies to see what other great games lie around.
I agree. Lord, I'm sick of the "ff7 is overrated" bandwagon. The detractors outnumber the defenders now, people need to stop acting like this is a controversial statement.

Look, the fact that we're still comparing MODERN RPGs to a title that came out seventeen years ago only reinforces the fact that ff7 is the gold standard to which all over titles are compared. It had its flaws, sure, but it doesn't deserve the criticism it gets now. In fact, a found several of the games listed to have a rather poor narrative. Besides, ff6 and chrono trigger hardly went unnoticed. They were big when they came out, and they're still big now. Lets just say that all the games listed are great at what they do and move on. FF7 was a genre defining piece of work. Lets leave it at that. You don't have to like it, but it was important.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Oh boy a backlash to the backlash.

Look, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying or even loving FF7. But from where I'm standing the story, characters, character models and midi quality (though not the song compositions themselves) are all pretty objectively terrible.

Yes it was an important work, but most of its popularity I lay at the "wow" factor of the graphics and cool novelty of anime style outside Japan when it came out. A work being important or a benchmark doesn't mean it's necessarily good. And it certainly doesn't mean it will always appeal to modern tastes.

As for the "backlash" against it that's a natural result of more people actually playing the thing now sans-nostalgia goggles. Since it's more widely available via PSN and Steam. After years of hearing it hyped up a lot of new players are understandably underwhelmed to put it mildly. I played through it 13 years after it came out and found it to be terribly convoluted tripe with exactly 3 characters who were at all likeable. The game was so bad it put me off jRPGs entirely for a long time.

I think a comprehensive list of jRPGs that aren't better than FF7 would be shorter than a list of ones that are. But this article still has a gaping Mana-series shaped hole. Also FF9

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Ratty said:
Oh boy a backlash to the backlash.

Look, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying or even loving FF7. But from where I'm standing the story, characters, character models and midi quality (though not the song compositions themselves) are all pretty objectively terrible.

Yes it was an important work, but most of its popularity I lay at the "wow" factor of the graphics and cool novelty of anime style outside Japan when it came out. A work being important or a benchmark doesn't mean it's necessarily good. And it certainly doesn't mean it will always appeal to modern tastes.
I'd argue that it was very good, it just has not aged very well at all.
I remember being mind blown when I first played it all those years ago.
Now, not so much.

The trope Seinfeld is unfunny [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny] comes to mind.
Ratty said:
Agreed.
It is my most favorite Final Fantasy.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Xenogears in the Number 2 spot! Woo hoo!

Of course, I think it deserves to be in the number 1 spot (both because Xenogears is the best game ever AND because I could never get that into FF6 - which was weird, because it seemed to have all of my favorite stuff in it).

Also, I would like to raise my eyebrow at a glaring lack of Parasite Eve (the first one, not any of the later ones).

Otherwise... yeah, a pretty good list. I agree with a few, disagree with a few - the usual.

But hell yeah Xenogears getting some love on a top ten - er, eight list.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I bet number one in FFVI...yep, same joke for more than a decade now. Never a different Final Fantasy, like Tactics. Always VI. Which puts me in a weird position, since I'm the one person that doesn't actually like that game.

Besides the list doesn't include Rhapsody a Musical Adventure, and is thus invalid.