8 of the Strongest Video Game Villains of All Time

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The lack of Kefka alone invalidates this list... I hate that freakin' clown but even I acknowledge he's one of the rare few villains who not only succeeded in his batshit crazy plans, he succeeded with style.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Seath is a loser who spunked all over a library. Illusive man is an idiot for a vast number of reasons. Alduin doesn't even come close to living up to his hype.

Even then the list seems to be vaguely "iconic" villains rather than "strongest". Here's my list of great strong villains as dictated mostly in the lore of the respective games and partially how cool they are.
1: Chakravartin (Asura's Wrath)
2: Deimon (Dragon's Dogma)
3: Simmons (Resident Evil)
4: Mantorok (Eternal Darkness)
5: Jubileus (Bayonetta)
6: Forgotten One (Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
7: Tabuu (Super Smash Bros)
8: Majora (LOZ Majora's Mask)
9: Pontiff Sulyvahn (Dark Souls)
10: Elisabeth Greene (Prototype)

Elisabeth is basically at the centre of the inital outbreak and is also a kaiju. Sulyvahn is a mastermind sorcerer who created a giant power hungry cult with him as pope. Majora can literally crash the Moon into the Earth. Tabuu is just an a**hole. Forgotten One can instantkill Dracula effortlessly. Jubileus is absurdly powerful even as a half formed fetus god. Mantorok folds three alternate realities onto eachother so that all his enemies kill eachother simultaneously. Simmons is an almost invincible (in his universe) shape shifting kaiju monster thing. Try fighting Deimon, just try his true form. Chakravartin literally creates suns and planets as projectiles, seriously.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
The lack of Kefka alone invalidates this list... I hate that freakin' clown but even I acknowledge he's one of the rare few villains who not only succeeded in his batshit crazy plans, he succeeded with style.
I remember in IX that Kuja blew up a moon/planet and in V Exdeath not only erased a planet was was going to bring down the entire universe for a last laugh. They has to seriously deus ex machina that one.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
2) No, not really. Ganon's intimidating, but I'm sure there's stronger villains out there. Heck, Majora or Demise are arguably stronger than Ganon.
Demise only threatened the surface world twice; once in the 'ancient battle' against Hylia, and once again in the Sky Era. Ganon, on the other hand, is nigh-immortal, and has threatened Hyrule dozens upon dozens of times, and will doubtless live on (or resurrect) to do the same again. He's done more damage over the centuries and lives on to do more.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silvanus said:
Hawki said:
2) No, not really. Ganon's intimidating, but I'm sure there's stronger villains out there. Heck, Majora or Demise are arguably stronger than Ganon.
Demise only threatened the surface world twice; once in the 'ancient battle' against Hylia, and once again in the Sky Era. Ganon, on the other hand, is nigh-immortal, and has threatened Hyrule dozens upon dozens of times, and will doubtless live on (or resurrect) to do the same again. He's done more damage over the centuries and lives on to do more.
Yeah, he's done that, and been defeated each time.

That's not to undersell Ganon, but I would rank Majora above him, in that in addition to Link we needed four giants to thwart its ability to MOVE THE FREAKIN' MOON. Ganondorf's actions generally threaten Hyrule, while Majora could have caused a global apocalypse.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
Yeah, he's done that, and been defeated each time.

That's not to undersell Ganon, but I would rank Majora above him, in that in addition to Link we needed four giants to thwart its ability to MOVE THE FREAKIN' MOON. Ganondorf's actions generally threaten Hyrule, while Majora could have caused a global apocalypse.
They've all been defeated each time. Even Kefka, who people are mentioning above as a relative villainous success story.

Ganon is focused on ruling Hyrule rather than destroying it, much of the time-- I don't doubt he could threaten something equally catastrophic if his intention was to simply destroy the world.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Hawki said:
5) Sin (Final Fantasy)
Nope. I would have went with Kuja. Dude literally blows up a planet and tears the fabric of reality to enter not one but TWO different dimensions. And he is the only villain that actually does not get beat by the Heroes. He just gets bored and decides to blow everything up.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Something... does not feel right here.
MiskWisk said:
*Raises eyebrow*
Strongest video game villains of all time? Really?
Do you need someone to send you a dictionary? Because what you seem to have selected does not match with the English definition of those words.
Kind-of this. Jeff, I don't think you really wanted to use the term "strongest". Especially not "of all time". The "dragon"(wyvern) from Skyrim is something I kill for breakfast in Monster Hunter and have killed probably stronger about fourteen times over today alone just for a damn plate.

And then you include two subjects from one franchise alone with one not even being a villain in the main sense, though I give you props for using a different view of strength for that one. But overall, this list kind of seems like a very entry-level kind of deal and I'd probably put none of these picks anywhere near the title.

One I'd still not actually give the title necessarily but still would be a better choice than (most of)this list? Rahu.

************ comes into a story about using little mini-robots that are controlled with your mind in a holographic arena out of fucking nowhere and he does it by killing someone offscreen in a restaurant. The mood whiplash alone is incredible, but then you learn the guy was killed by something that could only be described as one of these mini-robots in a battle with his own. Next time you see him? He's shooting up a place and is a bit closer to life-sized this time.

The next few appearances in the story see him defeated a few times, but then you learn the possible reason. The thing is some kind of eldritch cosmic horror that was originally invisible and utterly invincible that came to Earth about a thousand year ago and started destroying and killing absolutely fucking everything, nearly wiping out humanity entirely and by the current events of the story, has driven humanity into dome cities with yours being the last remaining, until it tried diving into a Robo like humans do and got stuck, which made him actually fightable in this new form. Rahu was eventually defeated by wiping its genetic and actual memory so its evolution process stopped, which is presumably what you're fighting now.

Oh yeah, he's also evolving during the events of the game from fleshy robo abomination into something that might actually have ended up negating the weaknesses of having a physical form. First into a slightly armored version of his fleshy-looking self.

And then finally into this refined murder machine.

And the only reason he's beaten again is because the main character has the device used to wipe him the first time, along with some backup.

All of this in a Nintendo game that hits you in the balls out of nowhere because it made you think this shit was going to just be robot fightan and becoming the best like no one ever was as a robo-mercenary with a sexy prototype Robo from an equally sexy scientist. All respects due to Ganon but he really doesn't have shit on Rahu in most of his incarnations. Neither does most of the list honestly.

...I'll go back to the basement.

saphiren

Full diving
Jul 8, 2009
Seath's boss fight blows chunks. No epic about it.
If you're going to talk about how epic Ganon is, maybe talk about the actual fights with him instead of what he represents. Y'know, the fights where you beat the shit out of him with a hammer or stabbed him in the fucking face.
Kerrigan will never get an epic boss fight because that just flat out doesn't work in an RTS.
If Sargeras ever becomes a raid boss, bear in mind that a group of adventurers will be able to take him from full health to dead in less than fifteen minutes.