Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
"We will decide what your motives were you don't get to decide or tell us what they are you are our tool to use for whatever we want to make seem a problem now"
seems to be the attitude towards this incident now.

"I take homicidal maniacs at their word because I care about The Truth! Criminals never lie! What would they have to gain?"

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"I take homicidal maniacs at their word because I care about The Truth! Criminals never lie! What would they have to gain?"
Yet it's the only indication of any motive. Why now? Why has it been fine for a long time to take them at their word or use their word as some indication of motives but now in this case it's not?

Couldn't possibly be a more convenient narrative than the actual motive the killer is claiming to have had right?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
You're assuming I ever did take mass murderers at their word.
"We always used to take murderers at their word, and suddenly in this politically correct world we suddenly don't take this white mass murderer at his word, gee I wonder why?!" sounds suspiciously like a narrative, doesn't it? I thought those were bad?

Reactions: Buyetyen

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I dunno I'll happily assume you took some at their word when it was convenient. E.G. the one who added "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" in his manifesto for example
That's true, you assume a lot of things.

Anyway, I suppose we could give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, he's an arch-conservative and a born-again Baptist. If there's anything those groups are known for, it's their high degree of self-awareness. /s

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The murdering fucker's church has disowned him, but they've also scrubbed also videos of past sermons from their social media. Which is weird. Then someone found that they forgot to purge their uploads on Spotify.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com...ers-pastor-said-radical-feminism-was-satanic/

The pastor went on a rant at one point about how "radical feminism" is demonic and God wants women to serve in submission. And the day before the shootings he gave a sermon about a coming war between good and evil. Here's an excerpt from the former if you're curious.

Radical feminism has engulfed our culture like a tsunami, particularly in the last generation. It’s been happening for the last couple of hundred years, but it has exploded in recent years. We hear all the time, “We’re now striving for gender neutrality, for general fluidity,” you name it. You know, it’s just gender, whatever you want.

And I would say to you that this is a blatant — a blatant — I will say it one more time, a blatant — guidance, direction, strategy of Satan to oppose and usurp the authority of God and God’s plan and purpose for us and Himself.

And when we cater to it — casually, indifferently, carelessly — we’re propagating what Satan wants to accomplish.
Can't imagine where the scraggly-bearded butcher got his ideas on women and sexual purity from.
/s

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The murdering fucker's church has disowned him, but they've also scrubbed also videos of past sermons from their social media. Which is weird. Then someone found that they forgot to purge their uploads on Spotify.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com...ers-pastor-said-radical-feminism-was-satanic/

The pastor went on a rant at one point about how "radical feminism" is demonic and God wants women to serve in submission. And the day before the shootings he gave a sermon about a coming war between good and evil. Here's an excerpt from the former if you're curious.

Can't imagine where the scraggly-bearded butcher got his ideas on women and sexual purity from.
/s
Oh America, you're so fucked that the entire situation loops straight around to being fucking hilarious.

I know it's bad, but I can't stop laughing at the existance of such a cult and how absolutely nothing will be done about it.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

/s
To quote Tom Waits:

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk
Go home god, you're drunk.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yet it's the only indication of any motive. Why now? Why has it been fine for a long time to take them at their word or use their word as some indication of motives but now in this case it's not?
Given the unlikelihood that Atlanta's entire population of prostitutes (apologies to the masseuses of these massage parlours if they were genuinely just massage parlours) are Asian, one cannot help but consider at least some racial element to the decision to go to American Asian businessplaces and murder people in them, even if the killer made no anti-Asian commentary in his explanation to police.

It might be as simple as him having a fetish for Asian women. Even if so, I doubt the nature of that fetish is going to based on healthy attitudes to Asian women.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That's true, you assume a lot of things.

Anyway, I suppose we could give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, he's an arch-conservative and a born-again Baptist. If there's anything those groups are known for, it's their high degree of self-awareness. /s
I assume these actual evidence for any of what you just said?

Also isn't that rather stereotyping to try and play on him being religious to suggest he's a racist?

"We always used to take murderers at their word, and suddenly in this politically correct world we suddenly don't take this white mass murderer at his word, gee I wonder why?!" sounds suspiciously like a narrative, doesn't it? I thought those were bad?
Am I really going to have to do the whole delving back through peoples posting history to prove this or shall we save the embarrassment?

/s
Oh so now it IS about the sexual purity stuff and not the race stuff?

Does no-one else see a certain Irony in what just happened in a matter of a few posts?

Given the unlikelihood that Atlanta's entire population of prostitutes (apologies to the masseuses of these massage parlours if they were genuinely just massage parlours) are Asian, one cannot help but consider at least some racial element to the decision to go to American Asian businessplaces and murder people in them, even if the killer made no anti-Asian commentary in his explanation to police.

It might be as simple as him having a fetish for Asian women. Even if so, I doubt the nature of that fetish is going to based on healthy attitudes to Asian women.
He did also kill 2 people who weren't Asian who happened to be working there too.......... but I'm guessing that's not convenient to bring up here.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I assume these actual evidence for any of what you just said?
I Googled that for you:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...evangelical-treatment-facility-sex-addiction/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/seven-killed-in-shootings-at-atlanta-spas?ref=home

Also isn't that rather stereotyping to try and play on him being religious to suggest he's a racist?
Conservative Christianity is generally pretty fucking racist, yes. The last 50 years of American politics have born that out rather clearly. It's a less a stereotype and more an archetype at this point.

Oh so now it IS about the sexual purity stuff and not the race stuff?

Does no-one else see a certain Irony in what just happened in a matter of a few posts?
Motives are seldom 1-dimensional. It is possible to be racist and misogynist at the same time. In fact, they're often joined at the hip. But I'm guessing you already knew that.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Conservative Christianity is generally pretty fucking racist, yes. The last 50 years of American politics have born that out rather clearly. It's a less a stereotype and more an archetype at this point.
To follow onto this:

The largest Protestant denomination in the US is Southern Baptists (Catholics have a plurality for Christianity as a whole). The Southern Baptist Convention was founded when it split from the overall Baptist Church due to the SBCs support for slavery.

Here's some more general links showing the connection between white Christians (particularly evangelicals) and racism in the US.

Reactions: Buyetyen

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The "evangelical" Catholic Church had people be extremely mad at the one paint8ng of Jesus where he wasn't white, and that's where I heard the myth that black people were black because they were lazy and got up too late to bath in the water that made people white (though my stupid child brain ended up envious because I didn't want to get up early either. You miss a lot of implied racism when you're slightly autistic)

So, yeah. Not exactly shocked at the potential for racism in the religious sphere.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The "evangelical" Catholic Church had people be extremely mad at the one paint8ng of Jesus where he wasn't white, and that's where I heard the myth that black people were black because they were lazy and got up too late to bath in the water that made people white (though my stupid child brain ended up envious because I didn't want to get up early either. You miss a lot of implied racism when you're slightly autistic)

So, yeah. Not exactly shocked at the potential for racism in the religious sphere.
No, the Catholic Church did not have people be mad at non-white Jesus. The Catholic Church is a global organization, where less than 1/3 of the membership is in North America or Europe. There are countless images of Jesus reflective of every race and ethnicity on the planet, found in Catholic Churches. If any people in the Catholic Church were upset at a non-white Jesus, it was in spite of their religion, not because of it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No, the Catholic Church did not have people be mad at non-white Jesus. The Catholic Church is a global organization, where less than 1/3 of the membership is in North America or Europe. There are countless images of Jesus reflective of every race and ethnicity on the planet, found in Catholic Churches. If any people in the Catholic Church were upset at a non-white Jesus, it was in spite of their religion, not because of it.
Neat.

Anyway, it was kind of a big deal in the United States, and in my Montana church in particular. Kinda circles back to the "why do white Christians and black Christians vote so differently" thread. It's mostly the racism.