8 Video Games Everyone Needs To Play

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Video Games Everyone Needs To Play

The video game industry releases more games than you could ever play. Today we give you eight of the games you need to play, they're fun and transcend their perspective genre. So get your head in the game and get into these games.

Read Full Article

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Was pleasantly surprised by the absence of Nintendo games (Nin fanboys are the worst). And I only disagreed with two positions (Minecraft and Diablo).

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I'm not one that will ***** and moan about what is or isn't included on these and insult Mr. Dievendorf over what he picked, but how in nebulous fuck is The Last of Us not on this list!?

Only half joking though, I'm honestly curious.

Fcbook Del Orto

Feb 11, 2013
FAllout 3 is the worst game of the series, and it's predecessors were NOT top down shooters. They were great RPG's.
Fallout 3 it's a disaster: awful dialogs, broken system, poor story, flat characters.
It has everything an awful game should have to be awful (did I already said it was awful? because it is).
Why should you pick the worst of the franchise? Beause it's popular?

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
Ugh. Fallout 3... destroying my favourite franchise and making it to lists like this. Bleh. Skyrim also bleh. Bethesda in general is just bleh :/
The rest of the list is OK I guess... no RTS at all on there though; no C&C or Total War. oh well.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Morrowind not Skyrim, Zelda not mincraft ,Fallout 2 not Fallout 3. And anything other than GTA maybe mincraft?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
RealRT said:
Was pleasantly surprised by the absence of Nintendo games (Nin fanboys are the worst). And I only disagreed with two positions (Minecraft and Diablo).
COD fan boys are far worse at least Zelda tends to be somewhat quality based.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Fcbook Del Orto said:
FAllout 3 is the worst game of the series, and it's predecessors were NOT top down shooters. They were great RPG's.
Fallout 3 it's a disaster: awful dialogs, broken system, poor story, flat characters.
It has everything an awful game should have to be awful (did I already said it was awful? because it is).
Why should you pick the worst of the franchise? Beause it's popular?
Thank you for saying everything I wanted to say. Fallout 2 is in my favorite games of all time and 3 pissed me off so much for how the lore was treated.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
ZippyDSMlee said:
RealRT said:
COD fanboys at least keep to themselves. I've never seen a COD fanboy go all about how COD is so magnificent and SOOOOO much better than everything else and nothing can ever touch them.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I get there is a certain demographic to appease and all that, but damn do I disagree with that list. Most of it is very poor, but I suppose I should thank my lucky stars half of it wasn't Valve games, and the other Bethesda games. My eyes might have rolled too far back if that was the case.

Well people will have their own tastes.

RealRT said:
COD fan boys are far worse at least Zelda tends to be somewhat quality based. COD fanboys at least keep to themselves. I've never seen a COD fanboy go all about how COD is so magnificent and SOOOOO much better than everything else and nothing can ever touch them.
You'll find most ain't going to come to forum like this one and/or are smart enough to know the heat it'd bring down on top of their head if they try.

Oh and as for Nintendo. Any list without the likes of Mario and Zelda are immediately wrong if we are talking right and wrong.
You can still have your opinion of course, but no one can deny the main event credentials of Nintendo. Its like trying to keep Hulk Hogan out of a most important wrestlers list, complete nonsense and I say that as someone who personally thinks Hogan as pretty bad for the most part.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I would like to remind everyone that nowhere on this list does it state these are the only 8 games everyone "needs" to play, nor are they in any particular order. Kudos for that, by the way. It's a great improvement over the earlier GotD segments.

More games everyone should play:
MegaMan X,
Psychonauts,
Super Smash Bros. (any version),
Super Mario Bros. 3,
Shovel Knight,
Final Fantasy VI,
Halo 2,
Warcraft 3,
Pokemon (any, probably X/Y),
Guild Wars (either),
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past,
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?,
The Oregon Trail,
SimCity 2000,
Papers, Please (or pretty much any Devolver Digital-published game)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
RealRT said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
RealRT said:
COD fanboys at least keep to themselves. I've never seen a COD fanboy go all about how COD is so magnificent and SOOOOO much better than everything else and nothing can ever touch them.
I dunno you are right in that the nin fan boys are more irritating but there are many more COD fans that relish their crappy low quality game which has helped the industry make more lower quality crap,LOL then again the ninfan boys are so bad no one wants to be around them thus nin can't sell much. LOL.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I like the list. Obviously you can't have everything in it. I'm a little puzzled by the presence of both GTA 3 and RDR though. Two rather similar third-person sandbox games developed by Rockstar? Why not expand your horizons a little bit, leave in GTA 3 for its historical impact and replace RDR with another genre?

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
I like the list. Obviously you can't have everything in it. I'm a little puzzled by the presence of both GTA 3 and RDR though. Two rather similar third-person sandbox games developed by Rockstar? Why not expand your horizons a little bit, leave in GTA 3 for its historical impact and replace RDR with another genre?
'

What he said about GTA 3 and RDR, and extend that to Fallout 3 and Skyrim. ^^^

Rozalia1 said:
I get there is a certain demographic to appease and all that, but damn do I disagree with that list. Most of it is very poor, but I suppose I should thank my lucky stars half of it wasn't Valve games, and the other Bethesda games. My eyes might have rolled too far back if that was the case.

Well people will have their own tastes.

RealRT said:
COD fan boys are far worse at least Zelda tends to be somewhat quality based. COD fanboys at least keep to themselves. I've never seen a COD fanboy go all about how COD is so magnificent and SOOOOO much better than everything else and nothing can ever touch them.
You'll find most ain't going to come to forum like this one and/or are smart enough to know the heat it'd bring down on top of their head if they try.

Oh and as for Nintendo. Any list without the likes of Mario and Zelda are immediately wrong if we are talking right and wrong.
You can still have your opinion of course, but no one can deny the main event credentials of Nintendo. Its like trying to keep Hulk Hogan out of a most important wrestlers list, complete nonsense and I say that as someone who personally thinks Hogan as pretty bad for the most part.
What he said about Nintendo. ^^^

Alright, here we go...
Fallout 3 and Skyrim are nice games, but in a list that includes things as old as DOOM, having them up there instead of their predecessors is almost insulting. They are watered down mass marketed versions of their former selves.

I personally would replace DOOM with COD4 on such a short list. If you're not going for an exhaustive look at the medium, COD4 is much more accessible and has much more obvious impact on the modern FPS market.

And finally, Portal made puzzles fun? I guess everyone that played that genre beforehand were masochists.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Minecraft? Agreed. Wolfenstein 3D? Sure, either that or Doom/Quake. Grand Theft Auto 3? Hmm, I have only played 1 and 2. Not sure it deserves it. Diablo II? Agreed. Fallout 3? No, no, nope. Fallout 2. Portal? Agreed. Red Dead Redemption? Haven't played it. Does it really deserve it? Skyrim? Noooo. Morrowind.

Games that could have replaced RDR & GTA 3;
Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, Freelancer, Alpha Centauri, Escape Velocity Nova, Settlers 2, and lots more.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Not really no. '8 popular games' would be a better title, but 'need to play'? lol, no.

Minecraft is subjective.

FO3 no where near as good as NV (as I've been told) and a highly controversial issue among real FO fans (to which I am not, but I know folks that are)

Diablo is only note worthy in that it popularized the Dungeon Crawler, so it's really only worth a look for historical reason, and you don't actually have to play it for that as there are far better games in the genera now that are far more deserving of the 'must play' branding

Wolfenstein 3D, also good as a historical piece, but nothing else.

GTA3 is remarkable only because of the 'realistic violence' it used, and still uses to cover sub par game play.

Portal, ya know, much as I like this game, not sure its a 'must play' for ever one ether. I can think of a few things about it that can and has turn a lot of people off and away from it.

Red Dead Redemption, -.- it just a better looking 'GTA' set in the old west, though I will concede its probably the best written thing Rockstar has ever done, that doesn't make a game very one needs to play.

Skyrim, It's good, yes. Not sure its something 'every one' needs to play though, as I'm sure a more well read TES fan then I can direct you toward a game in the series far more deserving.

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Don't agree with Fallout 3. Should have taken New Vegas instead, or 2 (Which wasn't a top down shooter, unless you made it one.). Also not really agree on Minecraft. Replace it with either Duke Nukem 3D or Blood.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I fired up MapEdit to work out which episode the Wolfenstein screenshot came from. (Episode 3. I'd have recognised it more quickly except I do that room from the other side.)